Testosterone Therapy for Older Men

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeffry_Life.jpg

Quote:
In general, the normal range in males is about 270 to 1070 ng/dL with an average level of 679 ng/dL. A normal male testosterone level peaks at about age 20, and then it slowly declines. Testosterone levels above or below the normal range are considered by many to be out of balance.

That's Dr. Jeffry S. Life MD, PhD in the picture. In this video, he advocates that testosterone levels in the lower end of the normal range is not beneficial and causes health issues. He recommends testosterone levels of 800ng/dl or above for good male health. He says most doctors say if you're in the normal range, you're good. He disagrees. He says he gets his patients into the higher numbers of the normal range with the treatment and then gets them into a good diet and exercise program. He says your motivation for exercise increases dramatically with an increase in testosterone levels. He also says that testosterone treatment boosts confidence, reduces feelings of depression, and even reverses Type-2 Diabetes. And then there's the other physical benefits that we can't talk about here but you guys probably already know.
56.gif

Any of you guys on testosterone therapy ?

Funny thing. I had low "T" for years and we (doctor/I) tried fixing it through diet, exercise and nothing worked. I was just outside of the acceptable range. I ended up with mild gynecomastia and Type-2 Diabetes shortly thereafter which I think might be as a result of low "T" for so long. I continue to eat well, lost over 100lbs and brought my sugar back into line and I still have low "T".

I'm now working with my doctor on replacement therapy because nothing else seems to be working. I even went to a holistic doctor and that route didn't work either.

I don't feel any less energy and I'm fine in other departments so I'm not sure if the same "normal" range is the same for everyone.

Last edited:
I've worked out the majority of my life(I'm now in my 60s) and I have never had that type of physical muscle development. However, most of my workouts are cardio with light weight. I am however in good shape with good muscle tone for my age/any age but, not like that guy/Dr. It takes some serious workin' out to get like that and even harder to maintain at this age.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
It takes some serious workin' out to get like that and even harder to maintain at this age.

It's easy to build muscle if you're on hormone replacement therapy. What it does is level the playing field between you and the 20 year olds.

The tanned clean skinned non-wrinkled look with cut muscle definition in the photos is achievable but not sustainable. That is the result of intense training, nutrition, hormone therapy and use of cosmetic lotions on the skin etc. I'm not saying it's not real I'm saying it's the result of a lot of very disciplined prep over months same as what is necessary in the time leading up to a contest in competitive body building.

The average Joe can certainly benefit from a diet consisting of the proper foods to keep testosterone levels up but the aging process is unstoppable as are its effects on hormone levels and general tissue integrity throughout the body. It can be slowed through a lot of discipline and hard work but the march of physical decline with advancing age cannot be stopped.

This guy can afford to throw money at his body because he's wealthy, and getting rich(er) by selling the same old quest for the Fountain of Youth.

Ponce de León would be proud !!

JK Simmons was great motivation for me last year..he is alot older than i am but he did an amazing transformation.

jk-simmons-final.jpg

Merc, you should not have included the stupid pic along with your question, it's all anyone is going to focus on. I'm 60, mine is low and in mid 50s my doc recommends T supplements to bring the level into the upper range of normal.First tried injections then topical cream. I found that the injections made me somewhat aggressive, short tempered, no patience. Even cutting the dose 50%. Injections every 2 weeks so it was an up/down thing. The cream was applied to the upper arm every morning and it didn't have any noticeable effect on energy, tiredness, etc. Stopped taking it. Pretty healthy with running and mountain biking and decent diet and good weight no health issues so I just have low T levels. I think this question has been asked here before and some guys have positive results. Only way to know is get tested and if low try it.

If you are going to work out so much that you develop muscles like that, you won't need testosterone injections. Your body will produce it on its own.

People want to be overweight, sit in front of the TV and have proper testosterone levels. It doesn't work that way. You get an injection, you will have to deal with the side effects.

Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
If you are going to work out so much that you develop muscles like that, you won't need testosterone injections. Your body will produce it on its own.

If your goal is to develop good muscle mass..say at the age of 71 which is where I am. You need to either have a high level (naturally) or take steroid injections. A year ago IO worked out really hard and was able to do 12 underhand pull ups and 7 overhand pullups. My bycepts did not noticeably change. When I slacked off for 8 months I was able to do only 2 underhand and 0 overhand pullups.

Its frightening how how you have to work to prevent muscles going down hill..let alone stay the same. Its plain ugly. That's why 70+ year olds go downhill rapidly.

Not bragging but with all the hard work (staying fit) I look more late 50's than 71.

AI, it is true.

Normally you can train with weights for two things: muscle mass or strength. Even though these are not mutually exclusive, the form of the training and the diet are very different. With age the ability of the body to build muscle changes and I am certain the people in these pictures take more than testosterone injections. I wouldn't be surprised if they were heavy users of steroids and also protein supplements. We don't know what their systems are like inside -- kidney issues, fragile bones, etc.

T is just one piece of the puzzle. There are many others:
1. high enough protein intake
2. genetics
3. working out hard enough
4. proper diet
5. Enough sleep
6. growth hormone levels

Ask any post-menopausal woman about their experience with hormone replacement. Any time you mess around with levels of one, or a couple of hormones, other things get out of whack. For the most part, Father Time marches on and you can only dodge him so much.

At age 33 I was fat (260pounds, 6'4''), and had very low testosterone caused by sleep apnea.

Lost 60 pounds, and got on a cpap mask, also take androgel.

T number went from under 200 to a little over 550 with a small dose.

Feel much better. Even though I lost 60 pounds I did not cure the sleep apnea, so I need to stick with the stupid cpap.

I lift weights a few days a week and can lift 180 pounds on the bench which I feel is pretty good.

I have sleep apnea. I think ANYONE who goes in for sleep testing is diagnosed with it and ends up with a CPAP. I still have my 1998 vintage machine that I tried for a year and could never use for a good night's sleep. I'd love to give it away, but charities won't even take it due to its age. It's in perfect condition. So, in 1998 I had pillar implant surgery. Look it up. It's a relatively minor outpatient procedure. It did not eliminate the snoring, but now I only snore - much less loudly - if I end up on my back in bed. In 2008 my health insurance provider considered the procedure "experimental" and would not pay for it. Still, it was well worth the $1,500 I paid for it.

I should have added that I'm not particularly large (6'2", 205lb). My ENT told me for the longest time that I couldn't have sleep apnea because I wasn't a "big fat guy."

If anyone in your family has ever had prostate cancer, or if you are just concerned about prostate cancer.....Don't do it!
Testosterone feeds prostate cancer. If you are harboring any of those cancer cells, they will go crazy in the presence of Testosterone.
I've known guys who used the cream on their thigh. They were in good shape, had plenty of energy, were horny as a young man and performed well in the BR. They were rolling the dice. Play now...pay later????

Testosterone feeds certain kinds of cancer not all of them. My dad has the kind that is fed by it and is on hormone blockers to keep it at bay until it finally gets him. (Currently in his bones/spine now). His PSA was normal.

My uncle, his brother has the kind that isn't fed by the hormone so they are treating his other ways. His PSA was high.

All the males on my dads side including his father have it or died from it. (My brother and I are high risk so we get checked every couple of years and it will be yearly once we hit 40).
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back