PP Euro 0w40 - cold flow properties

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know about the low MRV. Maybe because of the GTL? It's certainly better than the 21,600 M1 0w-40 claims.

I note that both of these oils do not show BMW LL-01 approval. So they are similar in that regard too.
wink.gif

Anyone know if they sell PP Euro at Autozone or O'Reilly? I need some 5w-40 for my Fiat.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Anyone know if they sell PP Euro at Autozone or O'Reilly? I need some 5w-40 for my Fiat.

I'd check Amazon first.

Pennzoil Euro 5w40

Last edited:
Interesting that the non-Euro 0W40 has slightly better CCS results but much worse MRV numbers...I guess those two tests are measuring quite different physical properties, anyway.

I haven't seen a VOA for either product, but I'd guess the Euro product is probably high SAPS and might have a lot of calcium that could be problematic for LSPI...but, it also might have a lot of ZDDP that would help quench LSPI. The Pennzoil Euro L oils are mid to low SAPS that are likely low in calcium but probably also with a low starting TBN.

Castrol EDGE 0W-40 pour point is -53C! Due to it being mostly PAO.

EDGE product data sheet

Unfortunately Castrol doesn’t list actual pumping or cranking viscosities. Regardless safe to assume it wins.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: shanneba
Red Line 0w-40 has a pour point of -60 C.
CCS Viscosity, Poise, @ °C 57@-35

https://www.redlineoil.com/Content/files/tech/0W40_MO_PROD_INFO.pdf

Which turns into 5,700cP @ -35C, which compares to 5,960cP @ -35C for the SOPUS product and 6,062cP @ -35C for AMSOIL signature and 5,888cP @ -35C for AMSOIL Euro 0w-40.

Given the repeatability of the test, they are all extremely close.

Can we conclude the Pennzoil is almost entirely GTL or PAO? It has cold weather numbers that compare to PAO/Ester products.

From the MSDS:

So 5-15% PAO and then 0-90% some low-vis base oil which, if it is similar in VI to a PAO, would be 4.xcSt @ 100C.

That points to a whole lotta VII.....

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
From the MSDS:

So 5-15% PAO and then 0-90% some low-vis base oil which, if it is similar in VI to a PAO, would be 4.xcSt @ 100C.

Thanks Overkill, on the msds details.
Could Pennzoil GTL 0W40 keep VII low enough to be close to Redline's , by employing 6/8/10 cSt @100*C GTL basestocks ?
From PDS, what parameter I should look for to 'assess' whether thin 4 cSt or thicker 8 cSt @100*C base stock is used , that's of course assuming 8/10 cSt is available in the market ?

Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
From the MSDS:

Thanks Overkill, on the msds details.
Could Pennzoil GTL 0W40 keep VII low enough to be close to Redline's , by employing 6/8/10 cSt @100*C GTL basestocks ?
From PDS, what parameter I should look for to 'assess' whether thin 4 cSt or thicker 8 cSt @100*C base stock is used , that's of course assuming 8/10 cSt is available in the market ?

Well, the MSDS specifically states up to 90% of a base oil that is less than 20.5cSt @ 40C, which means it will be around 4cst @ 100C (or lower). The PAO is probably heavier, but....

Of course an MSDS isn't an oil recipe, and this is suitably vague, but I would say this points to a really light base oil blend with a good chunk of VII in it.

The Redline oil is likely majority PAO, and subsequently wouldn't require the same VII treat rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back