Valvoline Synthetic At A Deep Discount

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pick up the Car Quest label oil or gear lube. Says "Ashland" right on the bottle. Advance Auto also sells "Car Quest" label.

Last edited:
Doesn’t necessarily mean it’s the same as branded Valvoline syn.

Last edited:
According to Ashland and Valvoline (which are in the midst of splitting), the add pkgs are different. Give their tech line a call. This has been kicked around on this forum a few times.

30 percent. 8.99 for Car Quest Gear Oil, and 12.99 for The Big V. Been using it for years in my 4 x 4 Tacoma. The truck has 250,000 miles on it and no sign of quitting. I was just offering a way to save a few bucks. Personally, if somebody told me how to save a few bucks, I'd say "thanks" instead of getting snarky.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hot_Ajax
Yeah it does. Comes off the same line. I have a bud who works for Ashland.

Just because they come off the same line does not make them the same. Example, I work at the GM Lansing Grand River Plant. Cadillac CTS, ATS and Chevy Camaro come off the same line and they are very different.

When someone tells you that you're wrong, it doesn't automatically make them "snarky." Anyone can look at two prices on a shelf and see that one is lower than the other.

In any case, I thought Napa Synthetic was the same as Valvoline?
wink.gif

It is not the same fool
smile.gif

Hope you have been doing good man. Always good to see ya on here. You know I gotta talk junk with you every now and then.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

Just because they come off the same line does not make them the same. Example, I work at the GM Lansing Grand River Plant. Cadillac CTS, ATS and Chevy Camaro come off the same line and they are very different.

The Dodge 1500 and my Grand Cherokee came off the same line too. Very very different.
smile.gif

The engine oil product sounds comparable to NAPA's synthetic. Not Synpwer, but a very good buy nonetheless.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
When someone tells you that you're wrong, it doesn't automatically make them "snarky." Anyone can look at two prices on a shelf and see that one is lower than the other.

In any case, I thought Napa Synthetic was the same as Valvoline?
wink.gif

Very close I have looked at the two PDS's there is very little difference. In fact they did not have the same date on them. So both may have been just the same if the PDS dates had matched.

Last edited:
30 percent. 8.99 for Car Quest Gear Oil, and 12.99 for The Big V. Been using it for years in my 4 x 4 Tacoma. The truck has 250,000 miles on it and no sign of quitting. I was just offering a way to save a few bucks. Personally, if somebody told me how to save a few bucks, I'd say "thanks" instead of getting snarky.

I wouldn't let it bother you man. There are some people on here who are quick to point out that Valvoline oils and other oils made by Ashland (NAPA oil, for example) are not the same, as if the difference is enough to even matter. And like you said about your friend who works there, there was another member on here who stated that he used to work for Ashland/Valvoline, and he also said they are the same thing. I also know of someone who contacted them, and he was told they are the same. ??? Anyway, whether or not they are exactly the same is not something to be concerned about.

Hot_Ajax, thank you for the information. I appreciate you taking the time to post this to let us know about it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
According to Ashland and Valvoline (which are in the midst of splitting), the add pkgs are different. Give their tech line a call. This has been kicked around on this forum a few times.

I can confirm what "wemay" is saying. I too have called Ashland/Valvoline and they did tell me the same thing. I had asked them about NAPA motor oils which is made by Valvoline. All NAPA employees claim that their NAPA motor oil is the same as Valvoline however, it's only blended by Ashland and not the exact same.

NOW, this doesn't mean that NAPA motor oils or in regard to this post, CarQuest gear lube are bad products, they're not. I am quite confident that they're very good in fact and I would use any of them in a heartbeat(price dependent).

Good post though!
It's alway good to discuss these lubes that are ONLY blended by major companies/blenders. It gets the blood flowing first thing in the a.m.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

NOW, this doesn't mean that NAPA motor oils or in regard to this post, CarQuest gear lube are bad products, they're not. I am quite confident that they're very good in fact and I would use any of them in a heartbeat(price dependent).

Good post though!
It's alway good to discuss these lubes that are ONLY blended by major companies/blenders. It gets the blood flowing first thing in the a.m.

^Absolutely. I left this sentiment out of my post in error. I've used Napa Synthetic a few times and would have to issue doing so again. Thanks for the post, OP.

Made by does not mean same as.

Yes, Car Quest Oil (and NAPA oil, as well as a few others) are made by Ashland, who also is the maker of Valvoline. It does not automatically mean it is Valvoline.

As stated above, Ashland themselves say it is not the same, PDS shows some differences, and VOA have shown some differences between Valvoline and NAPA (not sure about Car Quest). NAPA is a close cousin to Valvoline, it is a high sodium oil just like Valvoline. Car Quest is probably the same as NAPA. It is a good lube and I would have no problem using it if it was cheap enough.

There was a lawsuit a while back about disposable contact lenses: Some were marketed as wear-for-a-day then toss while others could go longer. The dailies were cheaper per each. And they were exactly the same, the flaw that led to the lawsuit.

I anticipate that when store brands went to Ashland/Valvoline and asked for synthetic, they tweaked the recipe enough to make a product that's "legally different" but not so much that they have to go through too much testing. Maybe the dye?
laugh.gif
Who knows their motivation, though protecting their brand is the obvious one.

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory

While I don't doubt that this is the case, there is a bit of a difference between a vehicle final assembly line and a bottling line.

I was under the impression that as of last May, Valvoline was split from Ashland and has nothing to do with them. They even have their own stock ticker. VVV

The same people that won't except anything that doesn't say Valvoline as Valvoline are people that must have Charmin toliet paper and it's not a real AR unless it's Colt people.

Let’s try this:

It’s Valvoline. It’s NOT Valvoline Synpower.

Why would Valvoline bottle Synpower in another brand jug and charge way less for it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back