My wife's reaction to a buddies Corvette purchase

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of my best buds traded his 2014 Corvette with 5K miles on it for a 2017 GS Corvette and drove it the next day to his vacation home in Islamorada, Florida. His 5th Corvette, and his first auto trans. The first 2 were big blocks. One of them he left keys for me to drive. I built the motor for his 1972 454 4 speed.

Another buddy drops by last week to show me his new Chevy SS with a 6.2 V8 and a 6 speed. He was taking it to redline with 500 miles on it, so naturally I did too when he let me drive it.

I tell my wife about the Corvette purchase and she tells me I can get my hot rod fix driving my buddies cars. Like she doesn't even remember my 2000 Mustang V6 5 speed parked in my neighbors garage since I drive it so little. Not real fast in a straight line, but it is fun to drive and corners well and satisfies hot rod fever fine and dandy thank you very much.

Last edited:
I need a neighbor who will let me park vehicles in their garage! I settle for their driveway while they're away for extra vehicles since I live on a culdusac and have no room for street parking.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
I need a neighbor who will let me park vehicles in their garage! I settle for their driveway while they're away for extra vehicles since I live on a culdusac and have no room for street parking.

It's a pretty sweet deal. It's their vacation home and they are only there about 5 weekends a summer. From Labor Day until May they don't even think about it and they live a half hour away.

Last edited:
I spent 5 days in Islamorada last winter....nice place...especially if you like to fish or drink.
It got hit pretty hard by the recent hurricane like the rest of the Keys.

My friend just got a new Mustang convertible 5.0 California edition and he let me drive it....I agree with your wife...that was my hot rod fix....

Originally Posted By: ledslinger

It's a pretty sweet deal. It's their vacation home and they are only there about 5 weekends a summer. From Labor Day until May they don't even think about it and they live a half hour away.
But do they know a Mustang is parked in their garage?

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Originally Posted By: ledslinger

But do they know a Mustang is parked in their garage?

Sure they do. They're quite generous.

All the guys I see driving Corvettes are 50 something.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
grin2.gif

If they weren't driving Corvettes they'd still be 50 something.

We all like our toys. I recently traded my Slingshot for a new Vanderhall Venice just because it was different. Drove in the garage and tooted the horn (wife didn't know I was trading), she came out, and said "I like this one better, looks more like a car". In our 44 years of marriage, she's never questioned any of the many motorcycles I've bought. At 83, I won't be getting many more toys but sure as heck am going to enjoy it while I can.
grin.gif

grin2.gif

So in your mind, I suppose that means that it is not something that an under 50 should be caught dead in, simply because over 50 folks like it.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay
So in your mind, I suppose that means that it is not something that an under 50 should be caught dead in, simply because over 50 folks like it.

Nope! In my mind when I see a guy in his 50's driving a Corvette, it means he's trying to runaway from the old man in the mirror. Myself, I just stay away from mirrors.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

Nope! In my mind when I see a guy in his 50's driving a Corvette, it means he's trying to runaway from the old man in the mirror. Myself, I just stay away from mirrors.
grin2.gif

5 years from now I will do the same!!!

Your wife controls your car purchases?

I'm 59 I exercise and lift weights almost daily. I drive a 2014 WRX, and will be buying an M2. My brother, 58, drives a 2017 911 GTS Turbo. Neither of us look old, feel old or have anything to prove. If you want a Corvette, buy a Corvette. But hurry before you are over 60, because you will be too old to walk let alone drive once you hit 60!
grin2.gif
lol.gif
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your wife controls your car purchases?

I'm 59 I exercise and lift weights almost daily. I drive a 2014 WRX, and will be buying an M2. My brother, 58, drives a 2017 911 GTS Turbo. Neither of us look old, feel old or have anything to prove. If you want a Corvette, buy a Corvette. But hurry before you are over 60, because you will be too old to walk let alone drive once you hit 60!
grin2.gif
lol.gif
banana2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
34.gif

For my 60th birthday I water skied on 30 different things including a baking sheet and a cooler lid.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
LOL once we're over 50 we free up extra money from paying off house, kids out of college, etc. I'm 56 and just got a Challenger R/T.

You have enjoy shifting gears before your knees go bad and arthritis.

before I moved out of my parent's house at 22, I had a f150 lightning and a ford thunderbird.

Then came wife, house, school loans, and debt, now I drive economy cars.

My wife is very frugal but she doesn't mind what I buy.
She will joke about it but when it comes down to it.
She just doesn't care if I want it buy it.
She even says she never would have bought that Challenger even though she wanted it.
It's her first new car at 45.
I bought my first car at 21.
People are wired different I guess but I am glad she got what she wanted and I am sure she feels that way when I buy stuff too.

am I missing something not being married? Did I miss the meeting that said when you get married you lose your identity because someone else now controls all your thoughts? Doesn't sound like a relationship sounds more like master/servant.

Just had to add that.. you want to go through life with a partner, someone who stands with you, not behind and not over you.. beside you. If you can't have that, what's the point?
21.gif

I remember once a woman told me that I couldn't upgrade the tires on my car because she didn't believe in making a car "ghetto".. All I did was swap all-season rubber for summer, lol.. She wasn't around after that.

Originally Posted By: researcher
am I missing something not being married? Did I miss the meeting that said when you get married you lose your identity because someone else now controls all your thoughts? Doesn't sound like a relationship sounds more like master/servant.

Just had to add that.. you want to go through life with a partner, someone who stands with you, not behind and not over you.. beside you. If you can't have that, what's the point?
21.gif

I remember once a woman told me that I couldn't upgrade the tires on my car because she didn't believe in making a car "ghetto".. All I did was swap all-season rubber for summer, lol.. She wasn't around after that.

I don't know if you are reacting to my post or another. My original post wasn't about my wife disallowing me purchasing a sporty car, but that she hasn't figured out or doesn't understand I already have one. I bought an RV without asking her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back