Motor oil ignorance, know it all on Facebook group

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy on a small block Chevy facebook group claim that many modern oils contain NO zinc additive.

I tried to correct him and said API changes required the zinc levels to be lowered, but there was still a pretty good dose of it in there. I even referenced zinc levels from a few VOA's on here for a few common oils, and linked to this site so he could learn some facts about oil.

He proceeded to call me names, say I was wrong and stupid, but never even tried to prove his claim. (probably couldn't find any evidence to prove his point).

I finally just said, look, I've posted figures from lab analysis to prove my point, you've done nothing but name call. I'm done replying to you until you post some hard facts.
Never heard anything back of coarse.

Anyone else have some interesting "facts" from the inter web trolls?

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
Facebook is the craigslist of the internet.

crackmeup2.gif

This guy prob got his knowledge from his best friend and his friend the farmer is an oil expert!

Jeep groups are not much better hah

Originally Posted By: 87sammy
Facebook is the craigslist of the internet.

Umm... Wouldn't Craigslist be the Craigslist if the internet?

They're the same people who run 20w50 in everything and use ATF to clean engines because "it's full of detergents". They also would never use a Fram filter.

Originally Posted By: cronk
Anyone else have some interesting "facts" from the inter web trolls?

Never mind trolls on Facebook; I've heard similarly "interesting" stuff HERE.

Probably posted some of it, too, if I'm honest. Though I hope I've learned over the years.

Misinformation is the rule, not the exception. Real expertise is rare, and most people can't distinguish it from its imitations.

I’ve learned over and over (and over again) that it’s just not worth arguing with internet idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. I’ve bailed from FaceBook twice because I just can’t handle the idiots. Either the friends that overshare or the groups you join and are smothered by hate/idiots/[censored]/all of the above. Just not worth my time.

One of the other forums I frequent is being destroyed by a few trolls right now and it really is tragic. I think most trolls need to find some adult websites to get their jollies...

It’s like all the guys on the Dodge Ram group on Facebook who say Penzoil will destroy and sludge your engine because it contains parrafin wax! Drives me crazy how ignorant and narrow minded they are.

Originally Posted By: cronk
He proceeded to call me names, say I was wrong and stupid, but never even tried to prove his claim. (probably couldn't find any evidence to prove his point).

Must be where the banned trolls from this site now hang out.

I've run into people like the OP mentioned. What makes it worse is when their posse joins in and beats you up.

In my case I was arguing with a guy who insisted wheel bearings can get brinelled from sitting too long in storage.

Another time, I called out a guy who said you could get second degree burns from hot seat belts when a car sits out in the sun.

Yep, still see that now. You get to a point where you just shake your head....

Seem some crazy stuff just within the last month or so...

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
They're the same people who run 20w50 in everything and use ATF to clean engines because "it's full of detergents". They also would never use a Fram filter.

Add to that the people I hear say that they would use Pennzoil conventional but not Quaker State. When I say that Shell (SOPUS) makes both, they don't know what to think about that. Some don't believe it, even when they see it right on the quart bottle/5-quart jug.

There are also people who still say that once you use synthetic, you can't go back to conventional. I hear people say that quite often.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back