Recent Topics
Funny pictures thread
by JLTD. 09/24/18 08:40 PM
Redline 15w40: Low or Mid Saps?
by SavagePatch. 09/24/18 06:59 PM
What are these cables to?
by 99Eclipse. 09/24/18 06:44 PM
Help with parasitic draw?
by buck91. 09/24/18 05:57 PM
Costco Car Buying Program
by dkryan. 09/24/18 05:39 PM
Glass Scrub?
by buck91. 09/24/18 05:03 PM
Loosing coolant from somewhere
by NICAT. 09/24/18 03:47 PM
2010 or so Ford Fusion Sport thoughts?
by ZZman. 09/24/18 03:35 PM
My boss killed his jeep.
by Chris142. 09/24/18 02:40 PM
Moly question about walmart oils
by jayjr1105. 09/24/18 02:33 PM
Questions About 9011 Bulbs
by knerml. 09/24/18 02:23 PM
Lubricant Additives - A Practical Guide
by wemay. 09/24/18 01:39 PM
Fram Ultra--Any Real Competition?
by IndyFan. 09/24/18 12:59 PM
Used generator price.
by Eddie. 09/24/18 11:55 AM
Newest Members
fortim, albert001, LG_Electronics, TCam, OzFrog
66063 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
115 registered members (AdRock, andyd, anndel, 2013ecof150, AndyB, 2009Edge, 13 invisible), 1,809 guests, and 35 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics290,959
Posts4,853,329
Members66,063
Most Online3,590
Jan 24th, 2017
Donate to BITOG
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
tesla Build Quality? #4569192
11/09/17 08:18 PM
11/09/17 08:18 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,236
WA (USA)
Y_K Offline OP
Y_K  Offline OP
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 2,236
WA (USA)


"This forum talking about 4wd systems is like when other forums talk about oil." © 2018 FlyPenFly
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569198
11/09/17 08:23 PM
11/09/17 08:23 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,677
Ontario, Canada
StevieC Online content
StevieC  Online Content
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 18,677
Ontario, Canada
My boss consistently has problems with his space-ship doors on the SUV model.


'18 Highlander - AMSOIL SS 0w20 / ATF / Severe Gear
'06 Santa Fe - 535,000km AMSOIL SS 0w30 / ATF (R.I.P)
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569253
11/09/17 09:08 PM
11/09/17 09:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 592
Crown Point, IN
dan_erickson Offline
dan_erickson  Offline
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 592
Crown Point, IN
I have repaired a couple of them in the body shop and they are just a nightmare. Parts are still very hard to get and the build quality is not that great. A $5000 job that was mostly cosmetic repair took 3 months because of parts issues.


15 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 Navi
Castrol Magnatec 0w20

Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569259
11/09/17 09:12 PM
11/09/17 09:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 37,187
Ontario, Canada
OVERKILL Online content
OVERKILL  Online Content
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 37,187
Ontario, Canada
I covered the build quality in the Model S review I did in the vehicle section. Basically, you are paying AMG and ///M dollars for build quality that simply isn't.


2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn EcoDiesel
2016 Grand Cherokee SRT
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569274
11/09/17 09:29 PM
11/09/17 09:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,715
Phoenix, AZ
Nick1994 Online content
Nick1994  Online Content
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,715
Phoenix, AZ
My boss's boss (VP of IT) had one a couple years ago that he took in for routine maintanence. They found $15k worth of work that needed to be done, including some axles, not sure what the rest was. It was barely still under warranty so he had them fix it and he got rid of it.

Although after many other cars since, he has another crackmeup


2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L 84k Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 & OEM
2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L 230k Valvoline 5w30 & Fram Ultra
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 147k Mobil 1 HM 10w40 & Fram Ultra
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: StevieC] #4569278
11/09/17 09:32 PM
11/09/17 09:32 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
dishdude Online content
dishdude  Online Content
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
Originally Posted By: StevieC
My boss consistently has problems with his space-ship doors on the SUV model.


That is one ugly SUV, I'd rather have a GLE.



2018 Challenger SRT
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569298
11/09/17 10:04 PM
11/09/17 10:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,497
DELAWARE
Hootbro Offline
Hootbro  Offline
Joined: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,497
DELAWARE
I watched that whole video a couple of days ago. 75% of what he complains about I will give him as legit. The other 25% is him being hyper sensitive to things he normally would not be paying attention to and would be inconsequential if in a gas engine vehicle. When he showed the "fan noise" on the outside front of the car, I knew he was being a tad over whinny.


2018 RAM 2500 Cummins 6.7L (Delvac 1300 15W-40)
2017 Jeep Renegade 2.4L (Idemitsu 0W-20)

Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569324
11/09/17 10:53 PM
11/09/17 10:53 PM
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,663
Toronto, Canada
KrisZ Online happy
KrisZ  Online Happy
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,663
Toronto, Canada
I would not be happy either, especially the rattles. Rattles and any other types of abnormal noises in the cabin, although considered small issues, detract a lot from the driving and ownership experience because your brand spanking new cars feels like an old beater.
You can buy a 20k econobox and it will not rattle, there is absolutely no excuse for a 100k car to have any types of rattles.


2015 Dodge Grand Caravan-27k miles.
2006 Mazda 3-163k miles
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Hootbro] #4569357
11/09/17 11:41 PM
11/09/17 11:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,715
Phoenix, AZ
Nick1994 Online content
Nick1994  Online Content
Joined: Feb 2013
Posts: 10,715
Phoenix, AZ
Originally Posted By: Hootbro
I watched that whole video a couple of days ago. 75% of what he complains about I will give him as legit. The other 25% is him being hyper sensitive to things he normally would not be paying attention to and would be inconsequential if in a gas engine vehicle. When he showed the "fan noise" on the outside front of the car, I knew he was being a tad over whinny.
$80k+ car, I'd be complaining more than him, but I also only live a few miles from the Tesla dealer he was going to.


2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4L 84k Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 & OEM
2000 Toyota Camry 2.2L 230k Valvoline 5w30 & Fram Ultra
1996 Jeep Cherokee 4.0L 147k Mobil 1 HM 10w40 & Fram Ultra
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569378
11/10/17 12:32 AM
11/10/17 12:32 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,109
Northern Ontario, Canada
Danno Offline
Danno  Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,109
Northern Ontario, Canada
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

Seems to be suspension components are made of cast aluminum, vs. forged, and are not holding up. When they fail, the result is a car write-off, basically too expensive to repair.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107


Last edited by Danno; 11/10/17 12:36 AM.

2016 Sorento SX V6 AWD
2015 KIA RIO SX
2010 Mazda 3 2.0L
2009 Venza V6 AWD
2013 Sonata 2.4L RIP in write-off crash
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Danno] #4569380
11/10/17 12:35 AM
11/10/17 12:35 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
dishdude Online content
dishdude  Online Content
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
Originally Posted By: Danno
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107/109



I'm not sure a bunch of wrecked cars proves anything.


2018 Challenger SRT
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: dishdude] #4569382
11/10/17 12:37 AM
11/10/17 12:37 AM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,109
Northern Ontario, Canada
Danno Offline
Danno  Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,109
Northern Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Danno
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107/109



I'm not sure a bunch of wrecked cars proves anything.


Wrecked because of failed suspension components. Different than a crash wreck.
You are quick I must say in getting to a conclusion - in scrolling through 100+ pictures in 3 minutes.

Last edited by Danno; 11/10/17 12:38 AM.

2016 Sorento SX V6 AWD
2015 KIA RIO SX
2010 Mazda 3 2.0L
2009 Venza V6 AWD
2013 Sonata 2.4L RIP in write-off crash
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Danno] #4569384
11/10/17 12:41 AM
11/10/17 12:41 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
dishdude Online content
dishdude  Online Content
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 9,047
Phoenix
Originally Posted By: Danno
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Danno
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107/109



I'm not sure a bunch of wrecked cars proves anything.


Wrecked because of failed suspension components. Different than a crash wreck.
You are quick I must say in getting to a conclusion - in scrolling through 100+ pictures in 3 minutes.


I passed a Toyota with a broken ball joint the other day...your point?


2018 Challenger SRT
Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: dishdude] #4569385
11/10/17 12:47 AM
11/10/17 12:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,423
Seattle-ish, WA
Oro_O Offline
Oro_O  Offline
Joined: Sep 2014
Posts: 1,423
Seattle-ish, WA
Originally Posted By: dishdude
Originally Posted By: Danno
Don't know if this has been discussed re: Tesla build quality, but pictures speak 1000 words.

http://teslabears.club/t/new-thread-keefs-complaints-with-photographs/107/109



I'm not sure a bunch of wrecked cars proves anything.


The wrecks were reportedly FROM suspension failures. Read the details. They could prove a lot.

Re: tesla Build Quality? [Re: Y_K] #4569390
11/10/17 01:05 AM
11/10/17 01:05 AM
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,727
Texas
FZ1 Offline
FZ1  Offline
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 4,727
Texas
Tesla will be out of business 3 years from now. Handsome design though.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™