Tractor disaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a one year old John Deere 3032E. The other day it suddenly lost power, (max rpm 1750) and gave an error code referring to the exhaust cleaning. Being under warranty I called the dealer and he sent a service tech guy up. He took off the access panel for his computer hookup and I could see a large mouse nest. While he was on the phone I blew it all out with compressed air. Under where the nest was happened to be two very large connectors, 40 pin and 80 pin in size with mating wires. Under the largest I could see some chewing but couldn't see how bad. He still felt it was a sensor and said he would pick one up the following Monday. Over the weekend I removed all the panels and did a light pressure wash. I found a second nest in the engine. 4 wires were chewed on, one broken. I made a very careful repair and the tractor is up and running again. I keep the tractor in a clean barn but I know they will be back even though I drive it almost every day. So here is what I am doing. All the wire harnesses I can get at will be wrapped with HONDA ACURA RODENT RAT MICE MOUSE PROOF ELECTRICAL TAPE 4019-2317. The areas where it is designed for a perfect nest I will pack with copper wool, (Chore Girl). Areas where there are single wires that would be impossible to access I will us a long Q-tip and apply Capsaicin cream. This is the same hot stuff that is in the tape. I use it for neuropathy so I know it will work. The tape was 31 bucks on ebay and the cream is about 10 at Walmart and the copper pads were a total of about 20 at the super market. I was in shock to find all this and I will do what ever it takes to keep my tractor in good shape. I know there are many other products but I know my plan will work. I hope this helps anyone who is having a similar problem.

I think you are right, they used to be "Chore Girl" in the sixties. I bought Scotch-Brite today because that's all the store had. The SB is copper coated steel and the mice won't eat either. Just plain steel wool will rust and make a mess over time. Where I'm putting the copper coated it will never get wet.

Your local pest control company can set up bait stations around the building. I’ve found them to be very effective, when placed and maintained properly.

My tractor is under warranty but not for mice chewing up my wiring. I would hate to see what the cost would have been if the dealer were to fix it. I spent an entire day repairing the wire harness and inspecting as much of the the engine sensors as I could. I just bought a
RIDGID Micro CA25 Inspection Camera so I can see under the dash wiring. I got lucky with the service tech as I happen to have some things he wanted and gave them to him. His report was a bad connection.

I don;'t think we have a local pest company. We have one store and it is a little general store just like Druckers general store in Green Acres. That store has it's own mice problems :) It's 25 miles to the nearest town.

Bandito440, I live on a farm and there are mice everywhere. Not only mice but squirrels, groundhogs and all kinds of critters that want to eat things we have. I have poison in both barns and my garage but mice still like that nice warm engine. What I am doing and constant inspection is my only hope. BTW, the hawks are my friend, they eat plenty of mice.

We’ve had good luck with bait stations keeping the mice away at the family’s old farm in rural PA. I’m pretty sure it was Terminix that installed and maintained them. Placement and maintenance is key, with those.

Anyhow, good luck.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Wife just paid $1500 for pulling dash and repairing mouse damage in Crosstrek.

This would be covered by comprehensive on your auto insurance. Shouldn't be an at fault claim.

I leave a bucket of thick used motor oil around about half way full. The mice tend to go into the bucket and sink in the oil. I can't have mice in my airplane.

At my old house, the garage had mice. But I had cats.

No more mice.
laugh.gif

There is a product called mouse out. It's a spray on oil that rodents hate. They uses the here in rural airports to keep mice out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back