Possible Oil Filter Failure??? 2009 Lexus ES350

Status
Not open for further replies.
So.... was changing the oil on an 09 Lexus ES350 - 118k miles. This is a new client so the previous oil and filter type are unknown. Typical fast lube place probably, going off the window sticker.

Anyway, upon pulling the oil filter, I was shocked to see a bunch of crud on the bottom. I informed the client and suggested we send a sample for Lab Analysis to see whats going on. She agreed! So now I have an interesting UOA on the way.
thankyou2.gif
34.gif

Thoughts???

ok... but then how do you explain the same dirt in the OIL???

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
The "crud" is on the dirty side. That's why there's a filter there. I wouldn't be concerned.

Originally Posted By: Artem

those particles DO look a LOT bigger than "~10-20 microns"...

Filter should have caught garbage that big.

Is the filter height correct, compared to a new one?

Need more info -
was the oil pan and plug spotless before draining?
The drain pan?
Was it windy when the oil was draining?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is one of the reasons I don't do 10K OCI's

Definitely agree in that regard. Everything has to go perfect for a 10K OCI to be successful. (not severe duty, good oil filter, good oil, no external contamination, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: Artem

those particles DO look a LOT bigger than "~10-20 microns"...

Filter should have caught garbage that big.

Is the filter height correct, compared to a new one?

Need more info -
was the oil pan and plug spotless before draining?
The drain pan?
Was it windy when the oil was draining?

Oil catch pan was clean during draining. I always wipe is down for this exact reason... to spot abnormalities.

The previous oil filter did look a bit shorter then the BOSS Purolator I put in. The new filter also has end caps on both the top and bottom. The old one didnt... Not sure if its suppose to be like that or not.

Now way the amount of leftover particles is NORMAL by any means.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Even when functioning correctly a filter do go into bypass during startup, so some crud will get through.

What are you talking about? There shouldn't be ANY in a normally functioning oil system.

I don't understand how you guys keep saying this amount of... whatever it is, is "normal"
33.gif
31.gif

If an engine has been neglected in the past with regards to oil change intervals, its not abnormal to have some sludge/gunk get caught in the filter as it comes loose. It's also not unusual for some of this debris to settle down into into the bottom of the filter canister. Either way it is not going to circulate through the pressurized side of the oiling system (possibly during filter bypass, but not likely). This filter did not "fail" in any way, it did it's job just fine. I'm guessing that if you pulled the valve covers you would find some oil varnish/sludge buildup, especially considering you do not know the history of the car's maintenance. Also possible that a component is wearing/failing and shedding the bits you see. While that much debris in the oil is not ideal, it is far from abnormal; that's what oil filters are for.

Guys it's a Lexus, that's all the left over rice bits. It's fine.
lol.gif

Seriously though... Seems like a lot of debris to me...

Just put an OEM filter in there and some fresh oil and drive on. maybe recommend a shorter OCI to clear the crud with a new currently fitting filter. Some of this toyota canisters are picky on the filter.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
The inside of the center tube is clean.

Yea I did notice that, but the oil itself is also pretty loaded with the debris, so it doesn't seem like it was filtering all that well, or else the oil would be clean.

Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Just put an OEM filter in there and some fresh oil and drive on. maybe recommend a shorter OCI to clear the crud with a new currently fitting filter. Some of this toyota canisters are picky on the filter.

I installed a Purolator BOSS. I get them for a good price, thanks to AAP online discounts and they seem really well made.

I recommended she comes back in a month so I can pull a sample for visual inspection. If the oil will be clean, she'll continue until the maintenance light comes on, which is every 5k miles.

Hmmm previous neglect and sitting awhile would be my guess. Hopefully all is well, looking forward to the UOA. Will you post here when it's up?

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
This is one of the reasons I don't do 10K OCI's

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back