The Hyundai Elantra Sport impressed me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I test drove a Hyundai Elantra Sport with a six speed manual today. It had the optional premium package which among other things includes an Infinity sound system with 8 speakers and a center subwoofer.

The Elantra Sport has a 201 HP 1.6L direct injected turbocharged engine with 195 lbs of torque from 1500-4500 RPM.

Another difference is the multi-link independent rear suspension which is exclusive to the Sport model.
Despite having 225/40/18 rim bending tires, the car rode very well and handled excellent.

The acceleration is enough to keep you happy and not too much to get you in trouble. Exactly what I need to maintain a CDL working at UPS.

The brakes are very good, too. The exhaust note is a tad louder than other Elantra I'm guessing.

The seats are very comfortable and the instrument cluster looks like it belongs in a German car.
Dealers are discounting them heavily at the moment. $5500 off of sticker where I test drove one at.

One thing to note is the EPA fuel economy numbers. I made mention of the 30 EPA highway with a stick being low, and the salesman
responded by saying Hyundai got into trouble over rating the mileage numbers a few years ago and now they underrate them. I don't know
if that is the case or not, but it seems from other forums people are exceeding the numbers by a good bit.

Overall, I walked away impressed. Based on looks alone, I would have to choose this over a Civic.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

One thing to note is the EPA fuel economy numbers. I made mention of the 30 EPA highway with a stick being low, and the salesman
responded by saying Hyundai got into trouble over rating the mileage numbers a few years ago and now they underrate them. I don't know
if that is the case or not, but it seems from other forums people are exceeding the numbers by a good bit.

This is the case. I know first hand from a friend of mine that works at a Hyundai Dealership. They weren't purposely under rating them when they got into trouble, they just made a mistake. Now that the heat is watching them a little more closely they are just being cautious.

As for the Elantra Sport, try the G.T. it's really nice and sporty and I love the styling of it.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Reading this review from a GTI owner, really impresses me!

Agreed. I've read countless positive reviews concerning this car and now the Elantra GT (i30 in Europe). Wish the i30N were headed stateside too.

skyactiv, i would test drive a GLi and possibly the Sentra SR Turbo as well. I like the Civic's drive-train a lot but not sold on the sedan's looks which i know are subjective.

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
Reading this review from a GTI owner, really impresses me!

It even looks like a GTI!

I have been very pleased with my Elantra. Like the styling. I know mine is geared more towards economy compared to the Sport. Average mileage is in the low 30's with mixed driving. On highway easy to get over 40 mpg. I was behind a Civic on the way home and saw those hideous tail lights lit up. Civic styling used to be more appealing to me.

I love our Elantra Coupe, but I would really love it if it had another 30 ponies and a 6 speed manual instead of the automatic!
19.gif

Why not another GTI, Sky? There's bound to be some killer deals on 17's leftover, I know some guys are getting them for low 20's. Fact I picked mine up just under 23 OTD back in February...

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
I love our Elantra Coupe, but I would really love it if it had another 30 ponies and a 6 speed manual instead of the automatic!
19.gif

I hear a K&N filter and a bunch of stickers on your back window will give you said ponies.
lol.gif

skyactiv,

I would assume your handle is derived from Mazda's engine tech? Just curious how to went from that to a VW GTI. My next car might be a Mazda3. Don't get me wrong, I like the GTI too, I'm just curious!

Hard to argue with $5500 off a car that is already cheap and has a giant warranty!

Last edited:
I wonder who would be the best dealer to go with. Dennis, Ricart, or Hatfield out here...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dohc98vteC
I wonder who would be the best dealer to go with. Dennis, Ricart, or Hatfield out here...

My wife didn't get the best price from Ricart when she bought a new Mazda3. We tried. My wife got her best deal from Park Mazda of Wooster because they offered the Mazda S plan discount because who she worked for at the time.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
If you're going to settle for 30 mpg may as well have 300+ HP.
Real Car

Yeah, that Elantra will out MPG the Challenger every day of the week. The 1.6 Turbo is known to beat its EPA estimate as I bet it is the close ratio manual limiting the estimate. A 1.6 four-pot weighing 3,000lbs is going to do a lot better than the 3.6 V6 at 3,900lbs. Won't be close. The challenger will sit in the low 20s if you ever drive on the non-interstate.

Oh and what does the "300bhp" get you in a Challenger... barely able to eek out a stop-light drag over the 200bhp Elanta. For the love of all that is holy, don't rev the Challenger's V6 engine next to any other import V6. Accords and Camry run mid 5s and high 13s/low 14s for the 1/4 mile.

If you are going to have a V6, you might as well find a Genesis Coupe with 348bhp that will whip the old 6.1 NOPAR and match the 5.7 liter with two cylinders left at the factory. Oh, and that circular thing in front of the driver actually does something. I would prefer the 370 but I needed the back seat.

I get 31mpg highway in the Ginny and about 23 around town. (18/24 estimate).

Yes, I really like this car.

Hate to say it, but I might try and find an off-lease option in the near future. I know that eventually I am going to be pushed out of the Genesis for a four-door. I am keeping the Ginny/MR2 but I need a "practical" option eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back