Castrol Magnatec vs. Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Edge oils have whatever molecules (ester?) that Castrol says allows Magnatec to stay on parts better? I believe bobbydavor also said the anti-wear chemistry also works better below operating temperature?

Last edited:
I e-mailed Castrol concerning Magnatec. Below is the response:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC performs in the same way that Castrol GTX Start Up performed years ago. It provides excellent anti-wear protection through the incorporation of a second anti-wear component that is a polarized (or polar) molecule. This molecule clings to engine surfaces at start up offering protecting at lower temperatures before conventional anti-wear additives become active at higher temperature.

These molecules work with conventional additives to provide wear protection over the full range of engine operating temperatures from the moment you turn the key.

Castrol GTX Magnatec does have a molybdenum containing component.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Do the Edge oils have whatever molecules (ester?) that Castrol says allows Magnatec to stay on parts better?

This whole "clinging molecules" is silly marketing to me. I mean, which oil does not cling to metal? Do all other oils (apart from Castrol's) just leave metal surfaces completely dry?

But as far as Edge and ester, here is what I posted earlier, based on info obtained from a chat with a Castrol employee some time back...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...tro#Post4373605

In terms of basestocks, I thought it was esters that were polar, and all others were non-polar.

Thanks. Both responses regarding Magnatec and Edge sound similar, taking advantage of some polarity. Who knows, maybe in the end it's just like Pennzoil Platinum vs. Ultra, one being cheaper than the other. The additive packages certainly look a lot like Platinum and first gen Ultra which had huge amount of boron.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
I e-mailed Castrol concerning Magnatec. Below is the response:

"Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol GTX MAGNATEC performs in the same way that Castrol GTX Start Up performed years ago. It provides excellent anti-wear protection through the incorporation of a second anti-wear component that is a polarized (or polar) molecule. This molecule clings to engine surfaces at start up offering protecting at lower temperatures before conventional anti-wear additives become active at higher temperature.

These molecules work with conventional additives to provide wear protection over the full range of engine operating temperatures from the moment you turn the key.

Castrol GTX Magnatec does have a molybdenum containing component.

Castrol Consumer Relations"

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

This whole "clinging molecules" is silly marketing to me. I mean, which oil does not cling to metal? Do all other oils (apart from Castrol's) just leave metal surfaces completely dry?

But as far as Edge and ester, here is what I posted earlier, based on info obtained from a chat with a Castrol employee some time back...

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...tro#Post4373605

Magnatec claims to have those "Intellegent molecules" so it is much smarter than Edge. Edge purports to have "Maximum Strength for Maximum Performance", plus the label states it has "Syntec" (whatever that means)so it is likely the stronger of the 2. Magnatec has the brains and Edge has the brawn, so I would say it's a toss up, either one will lube that engine just fine. Given that I would just go with the one that costs the least. Magnatec is like the smart nerd of oils, while Edge is like the dumb roided up football player of motor oils.

I think Castrol Mag is a bargain based on the UOA's I have seen it pretty much gives fantastic reports. I ran it last year in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder' V6 that is real common to have start up noise esp when cold and my trucks motor was definitely quieter at start then other oils. I have some QSUD that I bought this change on sale so I will compar when it gets below zero here.

I went from Syn-Blend to Magnatec. My iron dropped from 12ppm to 8ppm on a typical 9500 OCI.

That seems pretty significant to me.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
I went from Syn-Blend to Magnatec. My iron dropped from 12ppm to 8ppm on a typical 9500 OCI.

On the surface it may seem that way. But when you think about the difference between 4 parts per million, not so much. Lets say you take 4 and divide it by one million to see what it is as a percentage, it will come back at 0. So not even 1%.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

On the surface it may seem that way. But when you think about the difference between 4 parts per million, not so much. Lets say you take 4 and divide it by one million to see what it is as a percentage, it will come back at 0. So not even 1%.

I disagree with your logic that's a 30% reduction in ware.

I was interested to see that GTX Magnatec's viscosity data is superior to just about all other oils. The viscosity at 212 F is 9.1 and is 44.1 at 32F. In the Motor Oil University series here on BITOG, they say the preferred viscosity at 212F is 10. I haven't seen another full synthetic that is 9 or above.

Now I feel bad about the 20 qts of SynBlend that I paid $1 a quart for at the AZ Clearance....

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

You've eliminated the common denominator of one million. This link may help:

http://www.rapidtables.com/math/number/PPM.htm

Also it's wear, not ware.

You are over thinking what JohnnyJohnson is saying and what he is saying is correct. It is a 30% (more like 33%) reduction in wear metals. You applying the PPM as a percentage of total volume of the oil to define the percentage is not what he is saying.

Also, being a grammar Nazi does not make your point more valid than his.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

You've eliminated the common denominator of one million. This link may help:

http://www.rapidtables.com/math/number/PPM.htm

Also it's wear, not ware.

You are over thinking what JohnnyJohnson is saying and what he is saying is correct. It is a 30% (more like 33%) reduction in wear metals. You applying the PPM as a percentage of total volume of the oil to define the percentage is not what he is saying.

Also, being a grammar Nazi does not make your point more valid than his.

Sorry but I feel you are under thinking Touche. Those metal pieces are coming from some place and each on came from your engine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: WolverineSam
I was interested to see that GTX Magnatec's viscosity data is superior to just about all other oils. The viscosity at 212 F is 9.1 and is 44.1 at 32F. In the Motor Oil University series here on BITOG, they say the preferred viscosity at 212F is 10. I haven't seen another full synthetic that is 9 or above.

Optimal viscosity at 212F/100C is highly subjective and dependent on the engine, use-case, and climate. Also, there’s hundreds of full synthetic oils above 9cst @ 100C. The 0W-30 I have on hand is 12cst or so.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: WolverineSam

Optimal viscosity at 212F/100C is highly subjective and dependent on the engine, use-case, and climate. Also, there’s hundreds of full synthetic oils above 9cst @ 100C. The 0W-30 I have on hand is 12cst or so.

You are correct. I should have said the 0W-20 synthetic oils I've looked at. Both my cars call for that weight so I had my 0W-20 blinders on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back