Making a will

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does one go about this? DIY it or get attorney? We need to get this done.
Health issues being one of them.
Kinda down,

I went to a general type lawyer. He did ours along with our Power of Attorney. Shop around pricing can be all over the place.

Best of luck with the health issues. NEVER give up. Doctors are wrong all the time about prognosis and longevity. I was told I would never walk properly again and here I am back to work 5 years later. You should see the MRI of my back it's a mess.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I went to a general type lawyer. He did ours along with our Power of Attorney. Shop around pricing can be all over the place.

Best of luck with the health issues. NEVER give up. Doctors are wrong all the time about prognosis and longevity. I was told I would never walk properly again and here I am back to work 5 years later.
wink.gif

Thanks, I saw some on Legal Zoom. I'll check it out.
Yeah I'm type 2 and under tight control.
I have beat it back to where the A1C is now 6. I'm still dropping weight and don't know why.
I do walk 3 miles a day and eat a lot.
Plus some red bumps under my arms.
Go to doc on Monday.
I feel great though.
I tend to go worst case scenario in my head.

Sorry to hear of your health issues, but glad you're being smart by getting things in order.

We had ours done by a local attorney. I think it was a few hundred dollars and we also had a deed changed. Be sure you proofread (and re-proofread) what the secretary types up - we had to send ours back three or four times before it came back the way we had originally discussed (that attorney does *not* get our recommendation).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chiefsfan1

I have beat it back to where the A1C is now 6. I'm still dropping weight and don't know why.
Go to doc on Monday.
I feel great though.

I'm Type-2 as well and I now have my A1C back to 5, it was at 12. I lost almost 100lbs to date (I carried it well so I just had a big stomach, because I'm tall) and I did it maintaining mainly plant based diet with some meat and cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes for the most part. I also go to the pool a couple times a week.
thumbsup2.gif

It's not as bad of a diagnosis as it once was and you can most likely catch it in time if your A1C is that good already. It's also far better than Type-1.

I've been this way for 6 years. No issues otherwise. I found that Curcumin and Milk-Thistle supplements really help. You have to take the Curcumin with something fatty like yogurt or milk.

Last edited:
How does one go about this? DIY it or get attorney? We need to get this done.
Health issues being one of them.
Kinda down,

Wills are very reasonably priced if your lawyer isn't a thug. But don't leave out one little thing in your will I have personally seen it save estates and executors lots of time, effort and dollars with the estate then going where is was suppose to go. Anyone who contests this will is eliminated from the estate. Calms down the B S and fighting right now.

Saved my wife who was the executor of her mothers will untold problems when she highlighted that part of the will and sent it to two people. Amazing what a little planning can stop.

Last edited:
I'd do it with an attorney.

Do everything possible to avoid probate. Have all your things in order including names of beneficiaries and power of attorney to make important financial and healthcare decisions. Things like Joint Tenant With Rights of Survivorship avoids probate (JTWROS) can not be contested in court.

Check out LawTube on YouTube, he has a dedicated area just on wills, trusts and probate.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xSaIOdZRp-k

We originally did the Will/living Will and POA through a lawyer.

In Pa you can modify the will by lining out with your initial and date and make corrections. We did that a couple times and since the will won't ever be challenged, we bought the LivingZoom or whatever.

We used a lawyer who keeps a copy. That way if there is any trickery by some of the heirs, the one and only real copy is safe and sound. Assuming of course that our lawyer is not in cahoots with any of the heirs.

Of course, given my small net worth it should not be an issue.

My father had a lawyer draw up a will for him and then got into a severely paranoid mood (common in those who have suffered a stroke) and refused to let the guy execute it properly. He told me that the lawyer went into the kitchen by himself and was clearly rooting through drawers, I'm sure the guy just had to use the phone or something. After dad died, I called the lawyer and said it must mean something that had had clearly expressed his wishes in front of witnesses...nope, the paper was totally worthless. Probate, etc.

My grandmother wanted one and I printed it out on LawDepot.com. You've got to enter a credit card number to sign up but it couldn't be easier to cancel. It's like 14 days free and if you cancel within 14 days you won't be charged. Just click Account and then Cancle subscription, it really is that easy.

And it was extremely easy to setup.

If your will is more complex, you might want to talk to a lawyer.

I'm Type-2 as well and I now have my A1C back to 5, it was at 12. I lost almost 100lbs to date (I carried it well so I just had a big stomach because I'm tall) and I did it maintaining mainly plant based diet with some meat and cut out all bread, rice, pasta, and potatoes for the most part. I also go to the pool a couple times a week.
thumbsup2.gif

It's not as bad of a diagnosis as it once was and you can most likely catch it in time if your A1C is that good already. It's also far better than Type-1.

[/quote]

This Type II diabetes stuff must be more complicated than the simple explanation you hear. Someone here at work after being diagnosed a couple of years ago with Type II diabetes and put on meds that included injections and was gradually getting worse. Recently he went on a starch-based diet consisting of potatoes, rice, corn and added beans of all kinds, no dairy, no animal products, and no corn sugar.

He was off his meds in a couple of months, got his weight back to normal and is now very active.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Go to doc on Monday.
I feel great though.

I'm Type-2 as well and I now have my A1C back to 5, it was at 12. I lost almost 100lbs to date (I carried it well so I just had a big stomach, because I'm tall) and I did it maintaining mainly plant based diet with some meat and cut out all bread, rice, pasta and potatoes for the most part. I also go to the pool a couple times a week.
thumbsup2.gif

I've been this way for 6 years. No issues otherwise. I found that Curcumin and Milk-Thistle supplements really help. You have to take the Curcumin with something fatty like yogurt or milk.

Good for you. I'm down about 40 pounds. A1C was 13.8!!
The past 2 weeks I have been testing 80's!
I take Curamed turmeric. Not checked out milk thistle.
I just need to find out what these things under my arms are.
That has me nervous.

Depending on the size of your estate, possibility of will being contested, and the state you reside in, you might want to consider a trust as opposed to a will. Avoid probate at all costs.

Originally Posted By: slug_bug
Depending on the size of your estate, possibility of will being contested, and the state you reside in, you might want to consider a trust as opposed to a will. Avoid probate at all costs.

+1

I think it can depend on how complicated your estate is, how many heirs are involved, if there's a business or multiple properties involved, if there's an estate tax in your state, etc. If that's the case, I would see a lawyer.

If it's a simple estate with POD/TOD designations on bank accounts and investments and one property ( primary residence ) put in a trust, I'd do a DIY and have it reviewed by a lawyer. My late mom bought a Nolo Press will and estate software package that generated the will, POA, Health Care Directives, and other needed documents. These are updated every year. It was reviewed by a lawyer and everything was good. No probate involved.

We have no children, wanted to do it right so to avoid confusion and pitfalls I went to a local semi retired attorney, he did all including HIPPA, Medical instructions, made my nephew as as executor and my younger brother as secondary, we all are in 60's and I am the healthiest, so save bet was my nephew who is in financial industry. I am tight with money but I thought the $1k was well spent.

Good for you. I'm down about 40 pounds. A1C was 13.8!!
The past 2 weeks I have been testing 80's!
I take Curamed turmeric. Not checked out milk thistle.
I just need to find out what these things under my arms are.
That has me nervous.

The Milk-thistle if you get a good quality one (I get mine on Amazon) will help the liver detox and shed fat it has which has been shown to help stabilize blood sugar and lower it over the long term.

https://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20061031/milk-thistle-help-treat-diabetes (There are other articles on it but this is the one I could find at hand)

Milk thistle I'm using up here but is also available in the U.S.
https://www.amazon.com/Puritans-Pride-Milk-Thistle-Silymarin/dp/B00EI46XSM/ref=sr_1_cc_2_a_it?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1510270291&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=milk%2Bthistle&th=1

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
"Anyone who contests this will is eliminated from the estate.
...... she highlighted that part of the will and sent it to two people. Amazing what a little planning can stop.

I Love it!

That's simply classic......

Will or a Trust?
Get a lawyer, but in a pinch, you can type up who gets what, and email it to everyone, and that Will will be legal and binding in court as it shows your wishes.
else call a lawyer.
My trust was 4800$ along with financial POA's and medical POA's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back