1998 Buick Regal GS 92,000 miles $1600.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ls1mike

$50 Site Donor 2024
So some of you might remember my buddy who had colon cancer, it has been a rough two years for him and the family. Strapped for cash and just stressful
So I have recently fixed his Ford 500 and 97 F-150. (I hate the 500) His oldest kid has my old 1998 Regal GS.

Well his youngest just started driving and found another 1998 Regal GS for 1600 bucks. We drove it to my place yesterday 35 miles. Runs awesome. It has been sitting a few years so needs the usual 3800 stuff.
Intake gasket, water pump, valve cover gaskets, hoses and belts. I am going to put the 4T65E shift kit in it. He was going to leave it here until he had the cash to fix it.
Well he doesn't know it but I bought all the stuff to fix it today, actually had the blower gasket and a few odds and ends. Should have it ready to go by Sunday. He is such a good kid and the last couple of years have been awful for him. It was the least I could do. So here it is
smile.gif

Needs a good cleaning but it is a solid car, and I know them well. No rust. Thanks Washington state.
smile.gif

Sure looks a lot better than the base versions with the plastic wheel covers. What about the pcv valve? Looks it could use a coat of wax as well. But that should be something the owner could do since you've already done plenty.

I don't think I have ever replaced the PVC valve in any of my 3800s.
smile.gif

I ran one to 270,000 and the other to 280,000.

What kind of power do those put down? That is a nice looking sedan, real clean too thats for sure.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk
What kind of power do those put down? That is a nice looking sedan, real clean too thats for sure.

240 HP and 280 FT/LBS of torque. Average 1/4 mile stock is about 14.50 to 14.90.

Mods are super easy...when he gets some experience. I will throw a smaller pulley and tune it. 14.20's all day long.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ls1mike
smile.gif

I wonder if the valve is built into the valve cover gasket?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
smile.gif

I wonder if the valve is built into the valve cover gasket?

It is under a plate in the blower.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OFF-topic:
YOU ARE A GOOD "UNCLE"!

I served with his dad. He would do the same for me.

Good on you for helping your buddy and his family through tough times!
I'm sure those kids will remember your good deeds for the rest of their lives.

It did have some maintenance records. Transmission fluid was done by the Buick dealer at 55,000 miles.
Coolant changed out from dex-cool, but they put the plastic gasket back so I will change that.
Has not had the valve cover recall done, but valve cover gasket will fix that. Blower makes good boost.
smile.gif

240 HP and 280 FT/LBS of torque. Average 1/4 mile stock is about 14.50 to 14.90.

Mods are super easy...when he gets some experience. I will throw a smaller pulley and tune it. 14.20's all day long.
smile.gif

Wow those are some impressive numbers! Does it have any form of LSD?

smile.gif

Wow those are some impressive numbers! Does it have any form of LSD?

Nope, but It will do an awesome FWD burnout. LOL.

I didn't mean to get praise for helping, just trying to explain why there is yet another GM powered S/C 3800 in the driveway.

I love working on these things.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: pandus13
OFF-topic:
YOU ARE A GOOD "UNCLE"!

I served with his dad. He would do the same for me.

From one U.S. NAVY Veteran to another: you’re a great uncle and great person. Car looks good as well
smile.gif

34.gif
08.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back