2013 Toyota Highlander

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2013 Toyota Highlander V6 with 56000 miles. Have a weird transmission "quirk". First let me tell what has been done. Fluid and filter change with Toyota current fluid and filter. New O ring on filter. Cycled 10 qts though it so its fresh. UOA before the change was perfect. Old filter and o ring looked clean and magnets looked very clean but could tell age was getting to filter.

The "quirk" random "bumps" in up shifting, downshifting and even sometimes in steady gear going up or down a slight hill. Almost feels like a road bump. Improved greatly with maintenance but still there slightly.

Researching seems like a common problem. My question any one else have this "quirk" or "bump" ? Any fix or harm?

thanks

this is normal in automatic transmission going up a hill or incline the trans starts searching for an optimum gear to set itself into to get up the hill. my Toyota truck does the same, you can always downshift the trans to 3rd gear and the searching subsides and then shift it manually back to over drive or your highest gear you have when on flatter ground.

2 possibilities.

1) what jrvn wrote. The computer is searching for the right gear. You may want to check with the dealer for any computer updates for the TCM.

2) many people assume what is a transmission issue is really an engine problem. The TCM calculates the gear shifts based on the information coming from the engine sensors.
You may not always get a check engine light but may (probably not) have isdues that is reducing your torque when the TCM is expexting more or vice versa. MAP sensor, MAF sensor, etc.

Most likely the first possibility though.

Thanks everyone for the help. It bumps on the slightest of inclines and randomly. It may just the nature of this transmission.

Update: the transmission seems very sensitive to fluid level. I got the hot level exactly to full and the cold level also exactly to full. I also added 12 oz of lube-guard red. Its a lot better now. Hardly noticeable.

i used around 3 ounces of lubeguard red (it was all i had left) when my RX 350 trans was serviced. shifted very well after the service. i think even better than new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back