17 Subaru 3.6 OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did my first UOA on this vehicle at about the 14k mark with 5k on the oil. Pretty vanilla report which is good. Looking to get a baseline going. I am going to run this OCI to 7k and see what I get. I have used and continue to use M1 5-30 EP with a Fram Ultra filter. I am hoping the 7k OCI will be good to go for future runs. I would really like to get 7k on the oil worry free and 2 OCI's out of the filter. I do about 2k a month on this vehicle.

Anyone running 7k on a late model 3.6 Subby? Thoughts on this? I have 1k more to go to get to 7k. Figure 3 to 4 weeks until I can report back and add the UOA to this post.

The engine calls for 6,000 miles or 6 months with conventional for the 3.6L for the first change or 3,000 miles for stop/go driving, then it looks like a 9600 mile change thereafter without severe driving pattern and this is with conventional oil. You using a high quality synthetic like M1 should be no problem to go 7K.

Last edited:
This is from the 17 quick guide (page 31). I cannot see how to attach a PDF file.

Engine Oil
Use only the following oils:
• API classification SN with the words “RESOURCE CONSERVING.”
• Or ILSAC GF-5, which can be identified with the ILSAC certification mark
(Starburst mark).
- 2.5 liter 4-cyl. DOHC models use 0W-20 synthetic, replacement interval 6,000 miles under normal driving conditions. No requirement at the first 3,000 miles.
- 3.6 liter 6-cyl. models use 5W-30, replacement interval 6,000 miles under normal driving conditions. No requirement at the first 3,000 miles.

Engine Oil Capacity
• 2.5 liter 4-cyl. models: 5.1 US qt (4.8 liters, 4.2 lmp qt)
• 3.6 liter 6-cyl. models: 6.9 US qt (6.5 liters, 5.7 Imp qt)

Originally Posted By: BISCUT
StevieC

Where did you get that data from?

Googled and found this... LINK
(Scroll down for the chart)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
Originally Posted By: BISCUT
StevieC

Where did you get that data from?

Googled and found this... LINK
(Scroll down for the chart)

The chart is showing an "R" for replace under the oil column every 6k miles. This is what is in the owners manual as well.

With a 6.9qt sump I would think a 7500 mile interval should be pretty doable. I don't believe the 3.6 is to hard on oil.

What was the TBN on your first UOA.

I am looking into this same vehicle for my wife. Nice cars.

TBN was 4.7 at 6,250. I'm feeling 7k will be a ok with filter used x2.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Sorry I was reading the KM row not the MILE row. The KM is 9600 not the Miles. My apologies.

Easy to do with that chart.

How does the 3.6 compare to the 4cly model? I found driving a 16 top of the line model with the 4cly quite comfortable....and I was told the 6cly 3.6R doesn't add much towing capacity or anything...

I'm in a very hilly area with lots of twisty back roads. IMHO the 4cy was just tooo under-powered. The 3.6 is by no means "ballsy" but it gets the job done just fine. I have the Limited trim level and I am happy with it. It's vanilla but it grows on you and it does feel reliable. I say "feel" because I only have 19k on it.

Originally Posted By: TheKracken
How does the 3.6 compare to the 4cly model?

It seems like there's a huge difference in price between the two models. Iirc, around $10k or so. Ouch!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
How does the 3.6 compare to the 4cly model?

It seems like there's a huge difference in price between the two models. Iirc, around $10k or so. Ouch!

At actual negotiated retail, not so much.
The flat six is a rocket among Subarus and always has been and will easily run with a V-6 Camry, Altima/Maxima or Accord. Of course, in Subarus there are also the turbos to consider and Subie turbos aren't fuel economy oriented engines.
The made in Indiana Outback can also be had at better prices than the made in Japan Forester.
I've sometimes thought that I'd like to have a flat six Subie.
Maybe I need to buy one?

I'm thinking of buying a 2018 Legacy 3.6R and replacing my 2012 C class Merc. Hard decision, but the ONLY reason I'm thinking about the Legacy is the cost of the car and the reliability of the 3.6R PFI engine.

Direct injection burned me once and I'm turned off of cars with that. It's either a Legacy or a Lexus. Two different price points, yes, but it's either dual injection or PFI. Screw DI only cars. never ever EVER again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Took me a while as I mistakenly did an oil change and forgot to get the sample bottle ready. When i remembered it it was too late. Frankly, I almost did it again on this last oil change. I remembered at the end of the drain. So this sample is toward the bottom of the drain.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Apologize for the crudeness of my image. And there is a typo on the QUARTS ADDED...it was 8oz not 8 quarts. She doesn't burn much oil so far.

Last edited:
I did a few extended oil changes on my 3.6 Legacy, and discovered that although the engine and oil did fine, the tires did not. Rather than rotate the tires at a different interval than the oil change, I just went back yo a 6k interval for both (w/ conventional oil).

I’m looking for a comfort zone. Going to go 8k and see if my head can handle that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back