Gen 2 - 3.5 Ecoboost - Does it need a catch can

Status
Not open for further replies.
with all the changes to the Gen 2 Ecoboost (Dual Injection, electronic waste gates, better Turbo, intercooler, all new everything) would it still benefit from the addition of an oil catch can? If you had a Gen 1, you needed it (from what I read)

Just curious if I need one

Here we go.

No engine "needs" a catch can, but some can definitely benefit from one.

Your engine will live a long and healthy life without one, assuming the rest of the engine is up to the task.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Here we go.

Your engine will live a long and healthy life without one, assuming the rest of the engine is up to the task.

thanks, my point was that the Gen 1 really benefits from one.... would the cost benefit apply to the Gen 2.

Probably too early to tell since the Gen 2 has only been out for a year

Originally Posted By: Thugzy

thanks, my point was that the Gen 1 really benefits from one.... would the cost benefit apply to the Gen 2.

No it doesn't. It's smoke and mirrors from the can manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Here we go.

Probably too early to tell since the Gen 2 has only been out for a year

Give it a little time, the early adopters will let you know.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: itguy08

No it doesn't. It's smoke and mirrors from the can manufacturers.

Is it though? I don't know, I mean the cans I've used capture fluid. I guess if the PCV systems are designed correctly its not needed. I used one on my Hemi jeep which caught quiet a bit, on my mustang, and on my old turbo dodge. They all captured a decent amount of fluid that the PCV system would otherwise have to deal with. The only reason I don't have one yet on my GTI is that they are horribly expensive for the VWs.

Again, can't say they're saving the day, but they certain seem to do what they say they'll do.

Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Again, can't say they're saving the day, but they certain seem to do what they say they'll do.

Sure they will catch gunk. PCV systems have been dealing with that junk since the 50's or 60's. It goes in and gets burned. In some limited use cases (think race engines) it will have benefit and allow you to get extra HP out of the engine. But for a street vehicle it's not needed.

Had quite a back and forth with one prominent catch can manufacturer a few years ago. Claimed all sorts of things - more MPG, more HP, less deposits, etc. Yet he never could provide before/after dyno runs or MPG stats. He stated he had one on the "shop Ecoboost since day 1" and yet could never seem to get around to posting valve pictures of how clean they were.

Last edited:
Catch cans remove most but not all oil that is going into your turbo, intercooler and all connecting tubes. For some reason the manufacturers don't install a pcv system to handle all the vapor put out by turbo engines. For example, all v6's should have one on each side. My MB v6 diesel has one pcv on one side. The inside of my intake system is coated in black oil. How can that be good for an engine? I don't know about the new EB engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back