Dropped drain plug for the last time..

Status
Not open for further replies.
..hopefully. So recently did an oil and filter change and got to the oil drain plug. Had 5 mil gloves on and plug rather warm to hot, unscrew slowly thinking I have it under control. Wrong answer. Last thread plug with crush washer falls out off fingers and splashes in hot oil. Had cardboard down too, but oil still still makes a small mess outside the drain pan. Said to myself that's it going to get a magnetic drain plug tool.

Checked Amazon and ebay, ended up buying on ebay directly from AutoBodyNow ABN, ~$11. Magnet is strong, seems well made and like it will work well. Made in Taiwan. I have no relationship to ABN, just seemed the best value of the ones I looked at.

Also purchased a Flo Tool Less Mess drain pan at HD,

Looks like a good idea, I wait for the oil to cool off to barley warm but I have a lot more time to do these things now that I am retired.

Quote:
Did you consider a Fumoto drain valve?....

Not really. Certainly an option for some, since joining read pros and cons on them. Thinking this will work well for me.

I dropped the plug once and it blocked the drain hole going into my drain pan/oil storage container. I had to reach into the relatively hot oil and fish it out immediately because the pan filled up real quick and almost overflowed. Disaster averted but it was close! Apartment management would not have liked that at all...

Metal mesh (square screen) on top of your drain pan will keep it out of the oil. No need to use something with fine holes, even 1" square will work well sometimes although something closer to half inch is probably better if you can find it. Any metal supplier will have it, as well as most Home Depot-type stores.

I guess I'll know for sure when I do my next oil change in Jan. But thinking this will keep my fingers away from the warm/plug drain plug, farther away from warm/hot oil as it comes out and keep the drain plug out of the oil. The last being the primary goal. I'll update after I use it.

Been using one of those for over a year now. Great tool!

Not messy at all if used the right way. Keep the handle up and out of the way of the oil flow.
Strong magnet on there.

^^Thanks for that info. Was thinking I would be using it more in the way you describe, handle up out of the way. Technique used in video more adapted to using a lift.

Stick a rare earth magnet on the side of a socket and use with an extension after you've broken the drain plug loose. Rare earth magnets are cheap on Ebay. The extension will keep your hands clean.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-100-Pcs-Disc-Block-Cube-Magnets-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnet-N52-N48-ALL-Size/182800796460?hash=item2a8fc6cb2c:m:mlW2oMV-rddItEsZt11O5aA

Never knew anything like this existed.
I see it as very useful for reinstalling plugs or bolts in those hard to get to areas.

I thought this was going to be a Fumoto post.

This is an issue because we insist on draining when it's hot. I have my own way of managing a dropped drain plug. I let it fall into the pan. When draining slows to drips, I replace the pan with a dedicated drip cup that I keep in my oil change bucket. This allows me to empty the pan, and retrieve the plug while it's still dripping. No special tools needed.

What also helps is that I've learned to do the oil filter first. I let the hot filter fall in the pan without a splash. My oil change bucket holds all the oily stuff, including old filters.

LMAO
lol.gif
Where's Ron Popeil when you need him
lol.gif

Looks like a great idea, I cannot count the number of times I have dropped the drain plug and washer into the hot oil of the drain pan. Plus hot oil running down the hand and arm is not a pleasant feeling. That tool looks like it would be well worth it.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
This is an issue because we insist on draining when it's hot...

In a nutshell, correct. I like doing it while the oil is on the 'closer to' hot-ish side. Oil flows better, and my OCD says the nasty particles more in suspension at that point. No science to the latter, just how I've always felt about it. That and not the most patient after I get the vehicle up on the ramps and ready to go. However, if cooler many issues associated with the hot OC wouldn't be there.

I was able to rather easily fish the drain plug with crush washer out with a cheap telescoping magnetic pick up tool I got at HF years ago.

I have seen similar tools before (maybe even on bitog), this incident a good excuse to try one out. Obviously as noted in this thread more than one way to skin a cat. I'll give this one a try.

Buy another drain plug, preferably OEM. So now you have two of them. When your hot oil has drained, screw the other one to your oil pan and add oil.
After your hot oil has drained, take the plug (that is now your spare plug), clean it up and have it waiting to reuse the next time you change oil.
Just remember to keep it somewhere so you don't forget where you put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back