Water Dispensing Line freezing up

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a GE fridge and in a week, 2nd time water line is frozen. Never happened in last 5 years, maybe it's getting old?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWDcbfUWqdY

Any suggestions to take care of it permanently, I can thaw it using hair dryer and few other tricks, but want to take care of it forever for cheap.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you.

If it's chilling the water before it dispenses then it most likely has a coil of tubing somewhere near one of the cooling coils internally. It could be that the coils are icing up internally and freezing the water in the tubing. It's most likely caused by a bad defrost cycle timer, logic board problem or defrost heating coil not working properly.

What are the temperatures inside the fridge/freezer sections averaging?

Last edited:
Thanks, 9 is the coldest and freezer is at 3 and fridge section is at 3 too.

Water is coming from the supply line and freezing up where it dispenses, after using a dryer around dispensing area it's working fine now. Usually it happens overnight since no water use. Never happened during a daytime.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
If it's chilling the water before it dispenses then it most likely has a coil of tubing somewhere near one of the cooling coils internally. It could be that the coils are icing up internally and freezing the water in the tubing. It's most likely caused by a bad defrost cycle timer, logic board problem or defrost heating coil not working properly.

What are the temperatures inside the fridge/freezer sections averaging?

If the dispenser is on the freezer side it's possible you have a cold air leak from the freezer around the tubing and as the air leaks out it's freezing the water in the nozzle. Can you feel drafts coming out around the nozzle when the compressor / circulation fan are running?

Also what is the actual temperature inside the freezer / fridge using a thermometer?

Last edited:
Yes, it's on the freezer side and I can feel cold air leak, definitely.

I have not checked actual temperature, but can check using an IR thermometer .

Is the refrigerator located on a exterior wall? Your supply may be freezing because of a change in insulation. Mice for example or you forgot to cover the hose bibb for winter?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Is the refrigerator located on a exterior wall? Your supply may be freezing because of a change in insulation. Mice for example or you forgot to cover the hose bibb for winter?

Thanks, I checked everything supply line is fine and it's ONLY freezing around dispensing area, everywhere else is good.

Your ice door flapper isn't sealing properly, could be frosted up or the gasket could be getting a little stiff.

Originally Posted By: ironman_gq
Your ice door flapper isn't sealing properly, could be frosted up or the gasket could be getting a little stiff.

Yes, I think it's possibly flapper. Any suggestions to fix it?

If you store frozen vegetables in the freezer, sometimes one or a few get lodged in there and will block that line. Peas, especially. Lack of flow will contribute to freezing.

Do you have a reliable thermometer? Put it in the freezer side and see if you can adjust the freezer temp setting to be "lower" (not as cold) while keeping the temps in the below 32 range.

It could be that your particular fridge has a wacky refigerant charge and the system is chilling a lot more than it should, given the settings on the dials.

Originally Posted By: motorcity
I put the heater kit on mine. Worked for a short while, but its back to freezing up.

What did you do after that? Any other fix?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs

Close up that small air leak and that should fix it...if not, increase the freezer temp slightly.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Close up that small air leak and that should fix it...if not, increase the freezer temp slightly.

Don't you think increasing freezer temp will make that freezing quicker, because of colder air leak?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Don't you think increasing freezer temp will make that freezing quicker, because of colder air leak?

INcrease, as in make the freezer temperature slightly higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back