Superfoods for Health

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Super foods or general advice do you know of for helping extend life and fighting disease?

- I'm a big fan of Brocoli, Wheat Grass, Green Cabbage, Brussels Sprouts, Deep Leafy Greens Fresh tomato sauce (Italian).
- I dislike Kale but I force myself to eat it in salads because it's supposed to be good for you.
- I also eat a lot of vegetarian (only) Sushi with Avacado, Cucumber, Seaweed.
- I try to get some fruit in there like Apples, Peaches, Blueberries but I'm really bad with this.

Last edited:
There are no magical foods to extend life. Eating a balanced moderate diet and most importantly exercise, which I need more of, are the keys. I'll see if I can find it but 60 Minutes did a story years ago about the secret to long life and the key was exercise.

They profiled a retirement home in California that tested patients in their 60s for cognitive abilities, exercise levels, and diets. Thirty years later they repeated those tests on those that were still alive. Their overall conclusion was 45 minutes of moderate exercise per day was the biggest influence on overall health.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/living-to-90-and-beyond-60-minutes/

I think what you are doing is better than most so keep it up but I wouldn't spend too much time finding that magic elixir. For example grapes have a lot of antioxidants, no need for expensive pomegranate. Onions have a lot as well.

Last edited:
The closer you get to nature, the healthier you'll be. Soda, processed foods, candy and other junk foods aren't found in nature, but veggies, fruits, water, grains are. Eat natural things, exercise, do meditation & yoga, and you'll for sure be healthy physically and mentally -- barring any genetic predisposition to certain diseases.

Last edited:
I buy quite a bit of Spirolina from Amazon. This is the brand I use. I find ways to mix it into things.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Spirulina...words=spirulina

It's a blue-green algae that is full of antioxidants, vitamins, micro-nutrients and packed full of protein.

I don't eat it much, my 12 year old son is a National level athelte, and we were turned onto this by his trainers.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Garlic

I'm Italian that is a food group. No Vampires around these parts!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: mclasser
The closer you get to nature, the healthier you'll be. Soda, processed foods, candy and other junk foods aren't found in nature, but veggies, fruits, water, grains are. Eat natural things, exercise, do meditation & yoga, and you'll for sure be healthy physically and mentally -- barring any genetic predisposition to certain diseases.

Agreed. I eat as clean as possible and avoid processed where possible. (I work on the road so it can be tough at times). I do have a junk binge here/there and I always feel terrible afterward but I think it's good in a way to remind you how we are affected by what we eat.

Last edited:
Look into a compound called Nicotinamide Riboside (NR). Sold under brand name Niagen. Cousin to the B vitamin Niacin, but totally different. Increases levels of NAD+ in your body. NAD+ rejuvenates the mitochondria of every single cell you have. Mitochondria are the power plants in each cell, processing/making ATP for energy. Good idea to take an anti-oxidant with it, since more mitochondrial activity = more potential oxidative stress on cells.

Originally Posted By: Phishin
I buy quite a bit of Spirolina from Amazon. This is the brand I use. I find ways to mix it into things.

https://www.amazon.com/Non-GMO-Spirulina...words=spirulina

It's a blue-green algae that is full of antioxidants, vitamins, micro-nutrients and packed full of protein.

I don't eat it much, my 12 year old son is a National level athelte, and we were turned onto this by his trainers.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Look into a compound called Nicotinamide Riboside (NR). Sold under brand name Niagen. Cousin to the B vitamin Niacin, but totally different and better health effect and no "flush" effect like Niacin and other B's cause in some people. It increases levels of NAD+ in your body. NAD+ rejuvenates the mitochondria of every single cell in your body. Mitochondria are the power plants in each cell, processing/making ATP for energy.

Interesting... I was taking Niacin for a while but had to stop because it was aggravating the Rosacear war I currently have going on, on my face.

I always hear a lot of noise about calorie restricted diets extending lifespans, but I don't know if there is anything real to it or it's just another pseudoscientific fad. Seems like it's a similar crowd to the anti-vaccination movement that wants to bring us back to the good old days of polio, smallpox, and the Black Death.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I always hear a lot of noise about calorie restricted diets extending lifespans, but I don't know if there is anything real to it or it's just another pseudoscientific fad. Seems like it's a similar crowd to the anti-vaccination movement that wants to bring us back to the good old days of polio, smallpox, and the Black Death.

It helped me reverse my Type-II diabetic sugars that were really high down to manageable levels without medication. I'm fighting hard to keep off the medications going to the pool and eating right etc. and so far it's working. I also found that a diet higher in plants and less in meat (not cutting out altogether) and keeping as low carb as possible had helped immensely along with the caloric restriction.

My Doctor was very impressed.

There is no such thing as a superfood, just whatever the latest fashion wants you to believe, particularly if there is money to be made.

Steer clear of processed foods. Mostly they have far too much salt and/or sugar added as flavor enhancers. Eat a balanced diet including fat meat, fresh fruit and vegetables, eggs, cheese, dairy products, treat yourself to occasional indulgences like ice cream, alcohol, chocolate or whatever you fancy. But don't overdo any of these.
Coupled with sensible exercise you are giving yourself a good chance for a long healthy life. But there are no guarantees though!.

Claud.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Beats
Sweet Potatoes(without all of the toppings)

Beats to me taste like dirt, even the pickled ones. As for sweet potatoes I'm take it or leave it.

There is a lot of truth to that - a lot of small Asian people that are skinny all their lives seem to have the longest life.

You are already good with Brassica family. So your start is good. That said, if you go for Brassica family foods without processing, its even better. Wheatgrass juice and cabbage juice is great to keep the inflammation down. If you want to search further, search for NRF-2 activators.

In addition to that, I follow simple principles, no meat (of any kind), no dairy and Soy. Reduction in gluten consumption and more vegetables. Follow Dr. Michael Greger on YouTube. That guy supports every statement with peer-reviewed research.

There is a lot attached to both. Calorie restriction is proven by now. Research Valter Longo on YouTube. There are others too but this guy has made a company out of calorie restriction.
Now vaccine, I don't want to open a can of worms, at the same time, the immune response triggered by the vaccine has been a causative agent for a lot of health issues. Our world is so polluted that we can not figure out what is causing such immune response and why the body can not handle it. Nobody would put it clearly in the papers because they do not want retribution from the companies, who give them a lot of money when our govt is spending on wars. There is a Danish documentary made on HPV vaccine
"De vaccinerede piger" It has English subtitles. The reporter asks questions that our reporters wouldn't dare to ask even in their dreams. There is so much money in vaccines that balanced research is impossible in the US, and both the sides of the vaccines are extremes. So the level-headed discussion is out of scope.
When I was a kid, it was common to get sent to Mumps, Chickenpox and Measles parties so that one will get infected and be done with it but here in the US, Measles outbreak is treated as the next plague. Its funny how media plays into money hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back