reviving a submerged outboard motor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately my boat sank today, so it's been a bad today. The good news is I don't have much in this boat, but it's been well cared for mechanically. Cosmetically it could use a wax job.

I took it to a local dealer and they're supposed pickle the motor and give me an assessment. I'd say the boat was worth about $3-4000 not sure what it's worth now. I'm worried it's never going to work right again since it sank in salt water.

What do you guys think? It's a 91 model but was in great shape mechanically until today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fresh water wouldn't have been so bad but Salt water is another story. I would definitely be inspecting everything and flushing the engine well.

What engine ? 2 stroke or 4 stroke, make, model etc. If they pickle it fast, even in salt water it could make a 100% (ok 99%) recovery. Do you have insurance on it ?

It's a 1991 2 stroke Johnson looper model 140hp. The shop made it sound like they should be able to get it up and running by tomorrow or the next day, but won't know what kind of electrical gremlins might show up. I don't see how it would start without taking the carbs apart though.

Dump it in fresh water ASAP, while it sits, buy a gallon of two of alcohol. Drain the engine then fill and flush through carbs and spark plugs a few times with the alcohol.
Remove and drain the float chamber on the carbs.

Drain for half an hour add gas and start it up.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: expat
Dump it in fresh water ASAP, while it sits, buy a gallon of two of alcohol. Drain the engine then fill and flush through carbs and spark plugs a few times with the alcohol.
Remove and drain the float chamber on the carbs.

Drain for half an hour add gas and start it up.

This is what worries me is the shop is going to pickle it today, but won't be able to assess what elese is wrong until tomorrow, so all that's going to happen is the crankshaft is going to start rusting. Unless it gets enough oil when they spin it over. I doubt it, but maybe.

It can be done! My neighbor did it one evening and had it running a few hours later.

Originally Posted By: Dorian
It can be done! My neighbor did it one evening and had it running a few hours later.

Maybe they will be able to. They sounded pretty optimistic about being able to have it running by tomorrow, Friday at the latest.

You can fill up the crankcase area on a two stroke right? Because the fuel gets sucked into the crankcase on a two stroke to lubricate the crank bearings since instead of valves like on a four stroke it has ports for the intake and exhaust, so assuming I'm correct my concern about the crankshaft being exposed would be incorrect since that should be able to be filled with diesel fuel or whatever lubricant they use for this procedure. Am I wrong?

IF you used good oil and plenty of it before the sinking, that engine should survive ... OMC 2-strokes are pretty hardy. Many folks have different approaches. but the big deal is to get the water out and oil and heat in.

I worked at a marine outboard shop many years ago. All salt water. We got engines running all the time after sinking. Just gotta get after it. Delays hurt ...

You are right, just fill the crankcase. But do it ASAP.

Simultaneous post ;-)

Last edited:
Quote:
1991 2 stroke Johnson

Al Gore will hunt you down and kill you if he catches you using a 2 stroke engined apparatus....
crazy.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BrocLuno
IF you used good oil and plenty of it before the sinking, that engine should survive ... OMC 2-strokes are pretty hardy. Many folks have different approaches. but the big deal is to get the water out and oil and heat in.

I worked at a marine outboard shop many years ago. All salt water. We got engines running all the time after sinking. Just gotta get after it. Delays hurt ...

They said they were going to pickle it right away then see if they can get it running at the latest Friday, so I guess you cant ask for more.

Drain it and start it.

Water wont hurt it if you get the water out reasonably quickly and get it running.

People sink snowmobiles up here all the time, winter summer whatever. Get them out, drain the water, have them running in 30 mins. Do it again.

Is that a VRO where the oil is in a stand alone tank …? Those carbs from that era needed cleaning periodically anyway … hang in there … good chance they’ll get it buzzing again … good low end on those old motors BTW…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back