10,000 miles on oil ? Think Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
No offense to him, but the oil manufacturers, engine manufacturers, other mechanics, oil analysis labs, etc say differently.

Depends on the application and driving conditions. The service my vehicles see would destroy synthetic oil long before 10K miles.

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
No offense to him, but the oil manufacturers, engine manufacturers, other mechanics, oil analysis labs, etc say differently.

I started this thread at 5:55PM and you posted your first post at 6:00PM.

The video is 12:43 long. You didn't watch the video.
spankme2.gif

Maybe he has seen the video before. I received excellent results per a UOA using 0w20 TGMO after a 10k run. Manufacturer recommends 10k intervals. I can post the UOA again if anyone likes. Thank you.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Depends on the application and driving conditions. The service my vehicles see would destroy oil long before 10K miles.

The reason for keeping the oil down to 5,000 miles is primarily for keeping the oil clean for the variable cam phasers (that have jillions of small moving parts) and the higher oil temperatures that modern engines like the Ford EcoBoost engines run at. Dirty oil that's cooked will kill the cam phasers.

Originally Posted By: E150GT
That guy also says to use antisieze on spark plugs even if they are not advised from the manufacturer.

That's in a different video.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
That guy also says to use antisieze on spark plugs even if they are not advised from the manufacturer.

That's in a different video.

yes and in a different video he used TAP water to flush the cooling system!!!!
crazy.gif

crazy.gif

Well, he gave some reasons for keeping the oil clean and so I took the opportunity and jumped all over it.
grin.gif

I mean, he doesn't provide any facts to support the 5-7k mile intervals, he just provides his opinion and says that by doing so, you'll keep the engine nice and clean. That's fine and all, but the end goal isn't cleanliness as much as it is getting the most out of your engine and engine oil. There's plenty of evidence on this board that points to getting more out of Pennzoil Platinum than just 7k miles. Just my opinion though.

crazy.gif

Well, he gave some reasons for keeping the oil clean and so I took the opportunity and jumped all over it.
grin.gif

and I appreciate it

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Depends on the application and driving conditions. The service my vehicles see would destroy oil long before 10K miles.

The reason for keeping the oil down to 5,000 miles is primarily for keeping the oil clean for the variable cam phasers (that have jillions of small moving parts) and the higher oil temperatures that modern engines like the Ford EcoBoost engines run at. Dirty oil that's cooked will kill the cam phasers.

Cooked yes, dirty? Isn't that the point of buying the fancy Fram ultra or similarly rated oil filter?

Bovine scatology! My 2010 FX4 had cam phasers out the wazoo and 17K OCIs did not harm it at all. Far too much repeatable and verifiable data states otherwise versus this guy's unfounded opinion.

So this YouTube "star" knows better than Ford's engineers who programmed their oil life monitors, and major oil manufacturers such as Exxon/Mobil who GUARANTEE synthetic oils (like M1 EP & AP) for 15K or more intervals?? Right...
crazy.gif

People get way too hung up on UOA results. They are a tool, and nothing more. It's a known fact that high mile oil often comes up acceptable on a UOA.

Yet, my barrel of waste oil has a foot of sludge at the bottom, mostly the rings, bearings and combustion byproducts from the inside of my engines. That stuff has no business circulating in my oil any longer than necessary.

Oil changes are the only way to remove contaminates from the oil. Let's face it, low end UOA results do not show most contaminates.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I mean, he doesn't provide any facts to support the 5-7k mile intervals, he just provides his opinion and says that by doing so, you'll keep the engine nice and clean. That's fine and all, but the end goal isn't cleanliness as much as it is getting the most out of your engine and engine oil. There's plenty of evidence on this board that points to getting more out of Pennzoil Platinum than just 7k miles. Just my opinion though.

Maybe ... To some folks who know they will have to get into an overhaul down the road, a clean engine is a good thing. To others who live in the rust belt and will have to get a replacement car/truck before the engine dies, it's not such a big issue.

One family truck we had went over 4000,000 miles with periodic work. No rust. Just wear. I'd like to work on clean stuff where I can see the parts ...

State of Cali Fleet Admin ran extensive tests across their BIG fleet (60,000 vehicles) and determined that the bottom line is oil changes every 6,000 and filters every other change. That results in best longevity, fewest repairs, and highest resale value (auction). Seems reasonable to me
smile.gif

Now, if you have by-pass filtration - that's a whole nuther ball game
laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back