Redline D6 ATF for Nissan/Infiniti 7AT application

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2014 Infiniti Q50 3.7 and I was looking to change the ATF which the factory fill is Nissan Matic S. I know that Redline D6 ATF is suppose to be a great ATF and it supposedly meets the specs to replace Matic S, but before I went with it I wanted to see if anyone has had experience in using D6 in a Nissan/Infiniti 7-speed auto application, and if you would recommend it over the Nissan Matic S.

I'm also concerned about long-term safety, since the manual says that using any other fluid than the Nissan Matic S could cause transmission problems and even possible failure! Any feedback or experience at all would be appreciated, thanks.

Why not use the Nissan fluid ? I doubt that cost is the concern given the price of Redline D6. The Redline can be bought on Amazon for $1.50 cheaper per quart but you know the Nissan fluid is "safe" to use.

On the unit that are in warranty, we use Matic S.

If the 7-speeds are out of warranty, we use Amsoil ATL.

Nissan transmissions are bullet proof and very easy on fluids and ready accept all kinds of fluids.
Having said that, your investment will be well served using OEM fluid.
You don't want to be the poster boy to try out boutique "meeting specs" fluids.

Originally Posted By: Patrick_C
I have a 2014 Infiniti Q50 3.7 and I was looking to change the ATF which the factory fill is Nissan Matic S. I know that Redline D6 ATF is suppose to be a great ATF and it supposedly meets the specs to replace Matic S, but before I went with it I wanted to see if anyone has had experience in using D6 in a Nissan/Infiniti 7-speed auto application, and if you would recommend it over the Nissan Matic S.

Amsoil ATL, Redline D6, and Valvoline MaxLife are all very good aftermarket replacements for NissanMatic S, and all are Low viscosity ATF's with the latest stable additive package.

I'm also concerned about long-term safety, since the manual says that using any other fluid than the Nissan Matic S could cause transmission problems and even possible failure! Any feedback or experience at all would be appreciated, thanks.

This is scare tactic language by the OEM to say: "Don't use anything else but our Branded fluids for your transmission or it will Grenade and our Dealers will go broke because they won't be selling the fluid at sky high prices."

Thanks for the feedback. When I read the manual regarding the ATF I felt the same as you, even though it did initially concern me I still felt that they were using scare tactics to dissuade customers from using anything other than Nissan Matic S. Of course they have a vested interest in making the customer feel like they have no other options, because they profit when the Matic S is used.

I was hoping that I could find someone that has used the Redline D6 in a Nissan or Infiniti 7AT application, but I've searched online and haven't yet been able to find anyone that has given any feedback on it.

Originally Posted By: MaximaGuy
Nissan transmissions are bullet proof and very easy on fluids and ready accept all kinds of fluids.
Having said that, your investment will be well served using OEM fluid.
You don't want to be the poster boy to try out boutique "meeting specs" fluids.

Meeting spec?????? Group 3 [censored] OEM oil VS Redline Group 5 oil that has been used in 1000+ hp cars and trucks? When has an OEM oil ever been better then Redline and Amsoil. 1% of the time IF EVEN. Meeting spec??? With an aggressive extreme duty add pack of Redline vs a "just get by" add pack of OEM. I smell OEM fluid cult member.

Nissan CVT's bullet proof???????

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. When I read the manual regarding the ATF I felt the same as you, even though it did initially concern me I still felt that they were using scare tactics to dissuade customers from using anything other than Nissan Matic S. Of course they have a vested interest in making the customer feel like they have no other options, because they profit when the Matic S is used.

I was hoping that I could find someone that has used the Redline D6 in a Nissan or Infiniti 7AT application, but I've searched online and haven't yet been able to find anyone that has given any feedback on it.

Not a 7 speed, but I have tested D6, Amsoil ATL, and Maxlife in my Frontier 4-speed auto 4X4 (off Road package) with the 4.0L V6 engine and works fine in every tough situation I could throw at them. These were tested against my own full synthetic formulation for comparison(s).

Originally Posted By: The Critic
On the unit that are in warranty, we use Matic S.

If the 7-speeds are out of warranty, we use Amsoil ATL.

The Matic S is suppose to be sealed for life, which means life of the warranty. When the warranty runs out then its your problem.
When our Q50 hybrid hits 50k km, I'll pay the dealer to do a proper transmission fluid replacement with Matic S fluid. I would love to put Amsoil ATL after the warranty runs out.

Our hybrid has both a wet clutch and dry clutch and an electric motor in the transmission and feel that a regular fluid change would be cheap insurance to an expensive transmission rebuild.

Last edited:
I wish I had photographed my Frontier's ATF when I brought it home with 32k on the tranny.

It looked similar to and felt like a mineral 5W30 PCMO that had been in an engine for 20k.

It took 6 drains and refills to get it cleaned out.

Change it as soon as you can because the Nissan Matic S is not a long term fluid.

D6 and Amsoil ATL are good choices for that tranny.

Last edited:
Just an update on the Infiniti Q50 hybrid 7 speed transmission. Our Q50 is out of warranty. Its been nearly a year and over 18,000km since I change to Amsoil ATL transmission fluid. I did a 4 x drain and fill when then engine / transmission is cold. Did the drain and fill over several weekends. Effectively I measured what came out and replace with the same amount of Amsoil ATL fluid. Each time I did the drain and fill 4.5 litres of transmission fluid came out and replaced.

I only jacked up only the front of the car so more transmission fluid gets drained. I've driven in the snow fields and in 48degC heat, the transmission hasn't skip a beat.

What I notice instantly with the Amsoil is that the transmission became very quiet and the shifts are very smooth compared to the Matic S fluid. With Amsoil when the transmission shift gears it feels like there is extra dampening or cushioning when engaging gears like running a thicker fluid. With the Matic S I use to get a slight high pitch electric whine when running on electric motors only. With Amsoil ATL I don't hear the electric whine. The electric whine is noticeable in underground carparks with Matic S but not with Amsoil ATL.

When the Matic S fluid came out it looks charcoal black no red what so ever and didn't smell like transmission fluid. I do drive the hybrid spiritedly every chance I get, so I was harder on the fluids than most owners.

I'm glad that I did change the transmission fluid. Whether it was Matic S or Amsoil ATL, I feel that transmission fluid is cheap compared to a new or even rebuilt transmission. It only takes 45 mins to do a drain and fill on the Infiniti, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

Fuel economy has also improved slightly. I'm getting about 7.2l/100km with Amsoil (measured nearly for 1 year) compared to 7.7l/100km with Matic S (measured over a few years).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by MVAust
What I notice instantly with the Amsoil is that the transmission became very quiet and the shifts are very smooth compared to the Matic S fluid.

How are you sure this change isn't due to new, fresh fluid vs the old fluid regardless of brand ?

I had the car since new and the transmission was never this quiet. The car has active noise cancellation through the audio system and you can still hear the high pitch electric noise when running on electric motor only. Running on Amsoil it sounds more dampened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back