Found some Phillips 66 Shield at local walmart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been to a lot of different Walmart stores across the state lately. I always go look at the oils in everyone to see what they carry. Found one store that carries it very cheap compared to P66 gas station. The price is almost half of the gas stations sell it for. $2.66 & $2.77 per quart. No 5 quart jugs anywhere. My Father in Law used Trop Artic in his Chevy pickup truck for almost 10 years & it vanished off the shelves. I believe this is what Conoco-Phillips replaced it with. He has been using Motorcraft 5w30 since I told him Conoco-Phillips makes it. I bought him 6 quarts for an oil change. I wonder if this is going to start cropping up more. First non gas-station I've found this stuff in Oklahoma.

14sfr15.jpg

Wow, I got on their website & looked it up. Looks like one not far from me has the cases for $26. I don't use the oil but good to know for my father in law. Thanks!
Originally Posted By: javacontour
If you are a Sam’s Club member you might find cases for about $22 IIRC

We have some of that in my Walmart. I remember I didn't buy any because it didn't have a dexos approval on it. Is that still the case?

yeah, I believe it still isn't Dexos. I doubt that changes going forward. Good oil for older non-turbo DI engines. Something I would run in my 1993 S10 or 2008 Santa Fe without hesitation though.

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
We have some of that in my Walmart. I remember I didn't buy any because it didn't have a dexos approval on it. Is that still the case?

I didn't realize Motorcraft 5 quart jugs he bought at Walmart were around $19.50 a jug. The 12 quart case saves quite a bit of $

$2.77 per quart is an exceptional every day low price.

I've never bought any ConCo Phill because it's so hard to find here.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
I've never bought any ConCo Phill because it's so hard to find here.

Walmart had TropArtic but they discontinued that. WinCo had Union 76 but switched to Phillips 66.

Around here, Kendall is non-existent, but we got Motorcraft.

There are several areas of the country where 99 Cent Only stores regularly stock the Phillips 66 Shield and Kendall GT-1 products. My local 99 Cent sells both for $2.99. The Kendall product is 5w-30 full synthetic and usually sells out pretty quickly...but is back in a couple weeks. I think you'll find one or both of these in a lot of discount stores lately.

Originally Posted By: bradtech
First non gas-station I've found this stuff in Oklahoma.

I see you are from Oklahoma. Orscheln farm supply stores carry it. They don't put it on sale as much as they used to, but sometimes they will still sell it for $1.99/quart. The store locator says there are 10 Orscheln stores in your state. Last I looked, they carry both the old TropArtic and Shield oils.

https://phillips66lubricants.com/product/shield-valor

They manufacture a Dexos-approved oil, it's just not available in your discount stores.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm familiar with Orscheln but not for oil. Closest one to me is about 50 miles but my parents live right by it. So I'll check it out on my next trip down that way. Would be good to run into a stash of Trop-Artic that's still on shelf.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

I see you are from Oklahoma. Orscheln farm supply stores carry it. They don't put it on sale as much as they used to, but sometimes they will still sell it for $1.99/quart. The store locator says there are 10 Orscheln stores in your state. Last I looked, they carry both the old TropArtic and Shield oils.

They manufacture a Dexos-approved oil, it's just not available in your discount stores.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

The Orscheln around here carry both the Shield and Trop Artic for the same price. I used to buy Trop Artic every time they had it on sale for $1.99 but I have not seen it for that price in a long time and I recently used the last of what I have. The last time I changed oil in my two trucks, I went with Castrol HM.

Here is a link to the 2017 PQIA analysis of Phillips 66 Shield Choice 5W30 semi-synthetic.

http://www.pqiadata.org/Phillips66_Shield_Choice_5W30.html

TBN = 8.12
KV100 = 11.1 cSt
Noack Volatility = 14.6 % (Dexos Limit is 13%)
Ca = 2385 ppm
Zinc = 838 ppm
Moly = 19 ppm
Boron = 188 ppm

The oil has good TBN and is at the thick end for an SN & GF-5 oil, but the Noack volatility is too high to qualify as a Dexos oil. The zinc is good for a ILSAC grade and close to max, when many others can give much less than the allowed limit. A standard calcium detergent package, with very high Boron.

Me ? I would go the Shield Choice 10W30 as this will bring the Noack down while keeping all the rest of the benefits of this nice add pack. The 10W30 is not a Dexos grade, but it should easily bring the Noack to below 13% and probably closer to 10%.

It's a Ca detergent package, so not the best for small capacity Turbo-DI engines, but apart from that, in 10W30 or 5W20 form, it should be a very good oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back