?? About US Navy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering in a navy battle group is an Admiral usually the highest rank? More than one? And what ship would he usually be on I assume the aircraft carrier? Also are subs part of a battle group or are they off on there own?

I believe a Admiral is the head of a battle group. He or she would be on the flagship which may not be the carrier.

All depends. I've was on a ship that had two admirals for a short time before the CO received his own BG.

My advice, if you want to learn the inner workings of our defense forces, is to donate some of your time and join one of them!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: FordBroncoVWJeta
In before the government ban! Hold up, theirs a black van outside...

Everything okay? Let us know! Wait hold up someone is knocking at the door, be right ba.....

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
All depends. I've was on a ship that had two admirals for a short time before the CO received his own BG.

My advice, if you want to learn the inner workings of our defense forces, is to donate some of your time and join one of them!
smile.gif

I always wanted to serve but for health reasons I never could. But if you did serve thank you for your service.

smile.gif

I'd like to serve in the Navy but not sure how to start. I have my draft card from 1971 and my draft number is #114. But they have not contacted me since I got the draft card. Maybe they think I am too old.

Originally Posted By: Donald

smile.gif

I'd like to serve in the Navy but not sure how to start. I have my draft card from 1971 and my draft number is #114. But they have not contacted me since I got the draft card. Maybe they think I am too old.

I just turned 30 and the recuriter I was working with to enlist in the AF ended up telling me he wasn't going to work with me Anymore due to my knees. Major buzzkilll for me

I would join the Navy but I am too much of a fat [censored] now, I had shoulder surgery and I have ADHD and have taken meds for it.

I got a 94 on the ASVAB a couple years back when I was thinking of joining the Marines. MEPS was fun.

Last edited:
I have been told that there could be up to 2 subs attached to a carrier group.... but there is always one in the "area" even if its not attached.

There were several pictures of Carrier groups in the national news about a week ago, if you looked close you could see the sub (on the surface) in the rear of the group.
It was a 21 ship group.... I know they don't always have that many companions, it just depends on the assignment.

So the correct answer to your question is maybe, maybe not.

Originally Posted By: Donald

smile.gif

lol.gif

I served in the Navy and Marines. Last your was on the JFK-CV67. One admiral, we were the flag ship. Never saw him. There were subs, there location was not generally known among our crew.

At Thanksgiving time my brother makes a point of describing his latest "hijinks" in the service. If you were
to ask him what hes does he would tell you that he ..."flys a desk in the AirFarce". His "wartime" stories include how drunk he got nightly in England while deployed to do meteorologist work.

Zero down loans, college for kids, car discount, meal discount, free healthcare, moving expense allotment, free care care bays and tool useage, free recreational family center, free burial. He goes on and on bragging. Then complains about how taxes are high and how public school teachers (locally) make too much at $45k after 20 years. Complains about taxes in general.

He met the high standards for service by practicing drunken driving in highschool, flunking out of two tech schools and wrecking or blowing up three cars/motors.

But [censored] he looks good in that uniform. Cue the Lee Greenwood music.

LOL

I think the exact term is carrier group. The fleet consists of several groups. Someone please correct me if I am wrong. This was to answer Merk’s question.

Former USCG. Not the same as the Navy but it doesn’t matter when you are in 75 foot seas.

Carrier Battle Group will have an Admiral in charge and he should be on the Carrier as there is a seperate Bridge for him and some really nice quarters for him nearby. I had lunch with the Admiral on the JFK while on a "Civillian Orientation Visit". Flew out on the COD, spent the day and night, and flew back to Mayport the next day. Cost me $15!

DEAL!

It would certainly be a benefit to have a sub at least "loosely attached" to a battle group. That's a nice hidden stash of cruise missiles to help support the group's defense and offense. Since the opposing forces would possibly send in their own subs to infiltrate a BG....having a sub to help counter that is wise.

I saw something saying that a group had 2 attack subs attached to them, for offense and defense. Not sure how close they hung around though.
The Boomer subs are not attached. I read a while back that some of the Boomers have been retrofitted into Cruise missile subs, not sure if they are attached or not (I would think they are).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back