Canadian Tire Motomaster Winter Edge

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect it is made in China. Never mind, I will be installing 4 of this exact CTC tire on my old 2004 Passat. The kids drive that one, the 4 year old Continental Snows are too worn to be of any real use.

I'm getting them after work today.
smile.gif

and?? It states "all new", so nobody can give valid assessments until they've ran them through a lifespan. Considering the quite large amount of siping they should do fairly well on wet or icy roads and hard pack snow.

If the price is right, I would try them. Seems like CT is trying to up their CT OE tire game lately with the addition of their all-season tire as well - SE3 - iirc

I took the plunge on these with a new vehicle I bought this fall. I had 18" wheels I saved from my previous vehicle that were compatible with my new one, and found that my selection for 18" winter tires to fit this vehicle were limited:

- Blizzaks, a bit pricey, but wear very fast, quite squishy feeling in terms of handling
- X-Ice Xi3, not going with that junk again, barely better than an all season
- Everything else either not available locally, or insanely expensive

Then this came along, promotional material said Canadian Tire had a panel of people from across the country participate in the testing and development, and Cooper was the tire manufacturer behind it. My understanding was that Cooper was under contract with CT to develop this specifically for them, and they do not resemble any existing Cooper tire. The pricing was right, 25% off, and I figured they wouldn't be any worse performing than the X-Ice Xi3.

We've now had winter road conditions in Edmonton since the beginning of November, and I will say that I am impressed with the performance. ABS is very hard, to get to kick in, as is tire spin starting off from a stop. I have yet to feel any sliding while turning/cornering.

It has been all city use so far, but they are exceeding my expectations.

My other new set of winter tires on my van are leftover Continental Extreme Winter Contacts.

Yes, they are on different vehicles and are different sizes, but at this point, I can't say if I prefer one over the other.

Originally Posted By: KGMtech
I suspect it is made in China. Never mind, I will be installing 4 of this exact CTC tire on my old 2004 Passat. The kids drive that one, the 4 year old Continental Snows are too worn to be of any real use.

I'm getting them after work today.
smile.gif

Yes, they are made in China, says right on the sidewall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Good looking tread design. Did you get them studded?

No studs. I am not far enough north to install them.

In Ontario, studded winter tires are permitted between September 1st and May 31st for drivers in northern Ontario, which includes as Algoma, Cochrane, Kenora, Manitoulin, Nipissing, Parry Sound, Rainy River, Sudbury, Thunder Bay, and Temiskaming. Below these areas, the use of studded tires could incur a fine.

If you know where Toronto is, I am about 30 km's (18 miles) east of there. Ironically, it's the same city that my car was built in, just like my 97 Sierra P/U.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gm-add-1-000-jobs-143520893.html

Originally Posted By: superangrypenguin
Are these tires quiet?

I don't pick them until tomorrow so no personal reviews yet. In the link, they rate a 4 so I am assuming they likely are pretty good as far as noise goes? My wife's car won't hardly see any Hwy miles this winter so even if they are a tad noisy, it won't concern her much at all.
My Coopers I have ran on my P/U's have been great as far as noise goes. Nothing to complain about at all.
http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/Reviews/Cooper/WEATHER-MASTER+WSC

I just looked at Canadian Tires website, and they list these tires as not studdable. I also don't see any pinholes for studs in the tread pattern when I look at the photo.

Last edited:
To 'make room' for these; CT will be clearing out large amounts of Nordictrac tires that are still around.

I'd look for those on clearance.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
http://www.canadiantire.ca/content/...master-winter-edge-best-winter-tire.html

Supposedly a Cooper tire

I see a strong resemblance in tread pattern between the Motomaster Winter Edge and Cooper Evolution Winter. Both are brand new this year, so perhaps Cooper is using their new technology for the Motomaster, too.

According to Tire Rack, the Evolution Winter is made in the USA. Not sure if the Motomaster is from the same factory, or an overseas plant.

Originally Posted by Voleak

According to Tire Rack, the Evolution Winter is made in the USA. Not sure if the Motomaster is from the same factory, or an overseas plant.

Overseas, from the factory in China that Cooper has that was once under their former partnership with Kenda. I have these Motomaster tires (got them last year when they hit the market), and I think I like them slightly better than the Continental ExtremeWinterContact on my other vehicle.

My climate has intermittent chinooks (days of very warm air that brings the temperatures uncharacteristically high, sometimes above freezing) Sometimes we will get a week long of cold -25C to -40C (-13F to -40F) so the snow conditions are all over the map. My drive has a double divided highway that is pretty well maintained. So I don't need the likes of a Nokian Hakka or Blizzak like they do in mid-Alberta where the snow that falls in November stays until spring, nor do I need uber higher speed performance like Pirelli.

After selling my Corolla to my son, I am looking at outfitting the Si with some winter shoes. In the past I have went with the General Altimax Artic, but the design is showing its age (over 10 years old) and the price has uncharacteristically remained high for this time of year...higher than the new General Altimax Arctic 12..which is bizarre.

Anyway, I have looked into these Motomaster Winter Edge (95 on the CT performance scale) and am comparing them against the Hankook IPike RSV (92 on the CT performance scale) Does anyone have any new insight as to the two...which is better?

The General Altimax Arctic is even older. It is a rebranded Gislaved NordFrost 3.

The "new" Arctic is still an old tire. It's a Gislaved Nordfrost 100 brought back to life under the General Tire brand.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
My climate has intermittent chinooks (days of very warm air that brings the temperatures uncharacteristically high, sometimes above freezing) Sometimes we will get a week long of cold -25C to -40C (-13F to -40F) so the snow conditions are all over the map. My drive has a double divided highway that is pretty well maintained. So I don't need the likes of a Nokian Hakka or Blizzak like they do in mid-Alberta where the snow that falls in November stays until spring, nor do I need uber higher speed performance like Pirelli.

After selling my Corolla to my son, I am looking at outfitting the Si with some winter shoes. In the past I have went with the General Altimax Artic, but the design is showing its age (over 10 years old) and the price has uncharacteristically remained high for this time of year...higher than the new General Altimax Arctic 12..which is bizarre.

Anyway, I have looked into these Motomaster Winter Edge (95 on the CT performance scale) and am comparing them against the Hankook IPike RSV (92 on the CT performance scale) Does anyone have any new insight as to the two...which is better?

I would have no hesitations buying the Winter Edge again. I would pick them over Michelin or Bridgestone, and I've used both of their winter tires in the past (X-Ice Xi3 and WS-50). I got them for my Tiguan last year, and their performance has been phenomenal. I see you also live in Alberta. I'm in the Edmonton area. Watch CT for their sales, and you can get these for 25% off. Very hard to beat that price on a top notch winter tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back