2017 Cadillac ATS 2.0T AWD - dealer oil confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy Bitog,

Purchased a new 2017 ATS 2.0T. Dealer put in 0w20 for delivery. After several calls to multiple parts departments it was confirmed that this engine specifically calls for 5w30 Dexos1.

Since Dexos1 Gen2 was designed, in part, to specifically address the LSPI history on this engine, should GM not be mandating that D1G2 be used? If so, the parts database, and the service database, both call for standard 5w30 D1, which does not reflect the new spec.

Questions:

1. Should I leave the 0w20 in and wait until the next OCI?
2. Should I request it be changed with D1 5w30?
3. Should I request it be changed with D1G2 5w30?

If #3 is the consensus, is there a TSB or official communication from GM that I can leverage to get the D1G2 5w30 in there? Keep in mind I have 4 years 80,000 KM free maintenance. I want to make sure they use the correct spec and viscosity.

The 0W-20 they used may also be dexos1Gen2 certified. That being said, the car does not call for 0W-20 and i would definitely have them change it. Their mistake and i'm sure they will rectify.

Great car, congrats.

Originally Posted By: wemay
The 0W-20 they used may also be dexos1Gen2 certified. That being said, the car does not call for 0W-20 and i would definitely have them change it. Their mistake and i'm sure they will rectify.

Great car, congrats.
+1

Originally Posted By: webfors
Howdy Bitog,

Purchased a new 2017 ATS 2.0T. Dealer put in 0w20 for delivery.

Usually the dealer doesn't change the oil for delivery. They leave the FF in and put an oil change sticker on the windshield for the first oil change. How do you know it was changed so early? Unless it was on the lot for a year or had some miles on it would be some reasons on why it was changed.

Great car, congrats.

What he said.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Howdy Bitog,

Purchased a new 2017 ATS 2.0T. Dealer put in 0w20 for delivery.

Usually the dealer doesn't change the oil for delivery. They leave the FF in and put an oil change sticker on the windshield for the first oil change. How do you know it was changed so early? Unless it was on the lot for a year or had some miles on it would be some reasons on why it was changed.

Correct, it had a few test drive miles and was on the lot since March. I asked for the oil change as part of the condition of sale.

Seems to be consensus to get the 0w20 out of there. Any comments on the D1 vs D1G2 for this engine?

I would assume GM/Cadillac were the first to get the newly certified oil to their dealers since it's their own spec. Cadillac is GM's top of the line, i doubt they would skimp on this. If there is any doubt, take your own oil and chalk up the 'free maint' package to being factory filter and labor.

I would assume GM/Cadillac were the first to get the newly certified oil to their dealers since it's their own spec. Cadillac is GM's top of the line, i doubt they would skimp on this. If there is any doubt, take your own oil and chalk up the 'free maint' package to being factory filter and labor.

There seems to be a lack of understanding at the dealer. They put in the 0w20, and when I asked about D1G2 they said that "Dexos 2 has been out for a while" :p

I agree, might bring in my own oil. But 6 quarts... ouch!

My memory is that GM is specifying dexos1 Gen 2 for the 1.5l DIT, but not the 2.0l.
I would want Gen 2 in either engine if I were the owner, but I'm not sure how much leverage you can get with the dealer based on GM's requirements. There will be a number of blends as well as low cost synths like ST with Gen 2 licenses if you end up buying your own oil and want to save a few bucks (as well as MIRs for oils like M1 and PP). BITOGer wemay got a PDS from SOPUS for Pennzoil Gold 5W30 blend and what it showed looked really good, I haven't seen the Gen 2 version at WM yet but the "old" version was under $19 for a jug.

That may be the end of that motor.

Any unusual noises? If not it should be fine. If it has any clatter it may or MAY NOT subside with the new oil.

Shouldn't have had that FF oil changed for ANY reason,

tsk tsk TSK!

I don't like any dumb---bell franken-blends Ive tried, but this is a perfect case for the

infamous 0w20-0w40 franken-blend. It will allow you to get some adds in there for break in.

Dump 2L and put in two 40's but Keep it under 4500 on the tach.

Every Ford is spec'd for 5w20 except for the 3.5 ecoboost where it is spec'd 5w30. I buy a used 2014 Lincoln MKS and the dealer says it's ready to go. I asked if they changed the oil and he said yes when it was prepped. I mentioned 5w30? and he said we put 5w20 in everything; it doesn't need anything special (manual calls for 5w30). Drove the car 2,000 miles and I changed it out with Magnatec 5w30.

Story's like these make it very hard for me to believe that people really get warranty denials for not using the recommended oil.

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
Every Ford is spec'd for 5w20 except for the 3.5 ecoboost where it is spec'd 5w30. I buy a used 2014 Lincoln MKS and the dealer says it's ready to go. I asked if they changed the oil and he said yes when it was prepped. I mentioned 5w30? and he said we put 5w20 in everything; it doesn't need anything special (manual calls for 5w30). Drove the car 2,000 miles and I changed it out with Magnatec 5w30.

I had a similar issue with my local Subaru dealer, twice I took my FXT in for servicing and my checkout slip said they put 0W20 in it.
Twice I told the "service advisor" that my car took 5W30 and got a blank stare in return...followed by an assurance that "they must have used the right oil."
Then the SA would walk over to the shop floor, count to 5, then come back and say he talked to the mechanic and everything was cool.
All the volume sellers in the Subaru lineup use 0W20 now and I'm sure they just look at a Forester and think 0W20...the XTs seem a lot less common than WRXs and STIs.

Ouch? $40k for a new Cadillac and $35 for oil is a lot?

Actually, I wouldn't let them touch it. Who knows what they'll put in. Even if you bring it back for a proper oil change, the oil comes out of hoses. Who know what hose the guy will grab.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
That may be the end of that motor.

Any unusual noises? If not it should be fine. If it has any clatter it may or MAY NOT subside with the new oil.

Shouldn't have had that FF oil changed for ANY reason,

tsk tsk TSK!

I don't like any dumb---bell franken-blends Ive tried, but this is a perfect case for the

infamous 0w20-0w40 franken-blend. It will allow you to get some adds in there for break in.

Dump 2L and put in two 40's but Keep it under 4500 on the tach.

Breakin is long gone. The car had over 2000 miles on it when purchased. It was their test drive unit.

There are no strange noises coming from anywhere. In fact, very quiet/smooth even with the 0w20 in there.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Ouch? $40k for a new Cadillac and $35 for oil is a lot?

Actually, I wouldn't let them touch it. Who knows what they'll put in. Even if you bring it back for a proper oil change, the oil comes out of hoses. Who know what hose the guy will grab.

LOL, I know I know... I've made similar comments to others before. Now I'm on the receiving end haha

Free vs paying out of pocket! One of the selling points was the free 4 year maintenance on the darn thing.

Probably a bigger PITA driving to the dealer than just doing it myself like I have for all my vehicles for the past 20 years.

I wonder if I can get them to give me the products, like the oil filter, cabin filters, etc. Maybe not the bulk oil :p

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
6 quarts of Castrol Magnatec 5W-30 and take it to an independent repair shop (not quick lube)

What about the filter, any recommendations there? Although separate thread going on for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back