Fun Car Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was thinking about getting a new Charger/Challenger Hellcat, but not sure I want to drop that kind of money into a “fun car”. Any recommendations on a used “fun car” In my youth, I owned a 1984 Camaro and a 2000 Pontiac Trans Am. Appreciate it.

What's "fun" for you? Speed, handling, drama, looks...?

What are some cars you have thought were fun? What are some you have thought were boring?

Have you ever driven a car that you thought was ideal, fun-wise?

I'm not sure how much money you're looking to spend, but a C7 is going to cost more than I would spend on a fun car. I'd look for a clean, low miles C6.

I think my preference is more towards a traditional American muscle car. Never been in a 911. Don't plan on track driving. Was thinking $30,000 or less. Appreciate it.

Most fun car I've owned was a 1967 Lotus Elan. Hard to find these days and not very practical. I'd consider a used Miata for a reasonably priced fun car. Of course it depends on your own definition of fun car.

Edit: Just saw your preference for an American muscle car. I'd look for an old Ford roadster hotrod project car, but I doubt that is what you're looking for. What kind of used Corvette can you get for under 30k?

Last edited:
Been in a couple Mustang Shelby GT 500...one was newer, one was 60s. Also been in a Mustang R car. Those are fun to me.

I'm a performance driver, but not obsessed with outright speed or "the best" track performance. Instead, I prefer and enjoy superb-fun driving dynamics over all. I absolutely love a car that does exactly what is asked of it, and does it without being "numb". I do like the C7's, but they are a bit on the numb side. Nor are they all that powerful. They drive like a Malibu, and they don't have enough torque to get the feeling of a really hard "pull" when accelerating.

I drive an S2000 with a turbo kit, not because it's the fastest thing out there. But because it's stupidly fun.

Similarly, the GT350 is a really fun car. Sure, it's not a bit faster than a base model C7. But it's a whole bunch more fun. Same with certain BMW models. But the Jaguar F-Type convertible is, in just about any form, a really fun to drive car.

I also really enjoy the Tesla Model S, p-85d on up. Instantly responsive, and fun to drive.

Last edited:
Quote:
I think my preference is more towards a traditional American muscle car. Never been in a 911. Don't plan on track driving. Was thinking $30,000 or less. Appreciate it.

SKip the Mopar garbage and go for Mustang, Camaro, or Vette. Used or new depending on budget.

I've owned a lot of cars in my life including some faster cars. To me the convertibles were the most "fun". You can pick up a nice 1 year old Miata Club for under 25K. That would be my recommendation.

Thanks Cujet. Great description. Appreciate the insights.

Honestly, am a little skeptical of Mopar...have no experience with them...just hear the hate. But am willing to learn.

No frills fun: Honda S2000

Comfortable fun: BMW M2
*Edit: sorry just saw your target price window

Read reviews of each, both professional and personal, they speak for themselves.

*A new Miata would be fun and in that range.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Quote:

SKip the Mopar garbage and go for Mustang, Camaro, or Vette. Used or new depending on budget.

Really? Mopar puts actual engines in thier muscle cars.
Not turbo charged four bangers and speakers in the air duct to make "Muscle" sounds.

You had the right car with your 2000 Trans Am. Best HP bang for the buck + fan are probably the 1998-2002 Chevy/Pontiac F bodies. The Vettes of that same era not bad too...though no real additional HP until the 395-405 hp Z06 showed up around 2001-2003.

I was on LS1tech.com last night and it was mentioned than a 2001 Firebird Formula 6 speed with around 20K miles recently sold for $10K. To me, that seems like a lot of bang for your 320-350 hp buck. And with a collector's car policy, the cost is minimal. Those cars are depreciating very slowly now - it's all about the mileage. For a car that will be easy to sell, I'd stick with popular colors (black, red, SOM) and a WS6/SS. A well kept black WS6 M6 (1998-2002) is about the easiest car to sell when priced at true market.

Dodge Challengers make you want to drive fast but good luck on buying a Hellcat for under $30,000 or even a 5.7 that hasn't had the snot beat out of it for close too.
My funnest cars were big Cadillacs when they put 472 and 500 cubic inch motors in them. Land yachts I usually bought for under a $1000 that I had so much fun in.
Of course that's when I was a young man. Sure got crazy in those cars and had alot of fun.

Hellcat is sweet
20.gif
but I don't know if I would ever be able to use all 707 HP. The R/T would put a big enough smile on my face!
H72WS1z.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back