Oil shelf life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whipcitywrencher

Site Donor 2024
Does the Bitog community know How long an oil will be good for in a plastic jug, in an garage that the temp can go anywhere from -10 in extreme winter to 90 extreme heat summer fahrenheit? Is there really a shelf life? Has anybody tested the outcome of an oil that has sat on a shelf for 10 years? This is the ? that we should all ask our selves before we buy 10 years worth of oil in advance...
43.gif

oop"s not everyone but some
spankme2.gif
me for example since coming on this site I have enough oil and filters for 6 changes ...never had stuff like this before my friends are saying stuff like you think you got enough oil and I say I think walmarts having a sale next week....lol

Last edited:
what about ATF?

I bought a whole bunch of Mobile 1 Synthetic ATF when it went on closeout - as it probably sat on the shelf for quite some time.

I plan on flushing the trans again in 2 years, but Mobile1 says it shouldn't be on the shelf/in the bottle for more than 5 years?

I have never hesitated using ATF or motor oil which has been in a capped jug even after 10-15 years. If you feel uncomfortable about it, send it to me.

FRom Valvolines FAQ section:
General Motor Oil FAQ

Does motor oil expire? If not, how long does motor oil generally last?

Valvoline motor oils do not have documented expiration dates. When stored under optimal conditions, the product remains stable for an extended period of time. It can be used as long as the American Petroleum Institute (API) rating on the label continues to meet or exceed the requirements listed in your car’s owner's manual. If the rating is still current, we advise you shake the container before use to blend any additives that may have settled.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
I have never hesitated using ATF or motor oil which has been in a capped jug even after 10-15 years. If you feel uncomfortable about it, send it to me.

Ditto....and I have posted a good looking UOA on oil that was 17 years old when put into the car.

The only thing I don't like about the OP's 'storage strategy' is the temperature fluctuation....I like to keep my oil at a constant indoor temperature to avoid problems with the additives.

Seems there have been a few UOA's posted on 20+ year old oil and it was fine (for the year it was made).
As far as I am concerned, so long as the oil being used meets the spec for the engine, age does not matter.

As stated by bernau, the container will probably go bad before the oil does.
I had one 5 qt jug that leaked about a qt out before I realized it (apparently just a small pinhole). I had it stored under my workbench. No ideal how long it was leaking, since it was in the back of the shelf and I had not moved the jug for over a year. It was a Pennzoil Platinum Jug, not even 2 years old when I found it leaking.
My oil is now out on a shelf so I can catch any leaks sooner (and get to drool over it a regular basis
20.gif
LOL).
All but a few qts of mine are SN (just a few SM left).
My current plan is to keep the vehicles I have for another 5-10 years, and will be buying another vehicle in the next 2 years (that is probably being manufactured right now), so I am good with SN oil for quite some time.

When I buy the Amsoil Multi-Vehicle ATF I get the 5 gallon or whatever large size and I had stuff that was 8 years old. Used it along with some new stuff in the Journey when I did it's change. The 8 year old stuff spent it's life in my shed in varying temperatures and high humidity.

No issues.

Last edited:
I keep my unused motor oils in my basement where the temp range is 50-75 deg all year round. I shake the oil containers once or twice a year. The oil will probably outlive you if not used. But, I'd still rather use it up before it gets past 4-5 yrs old.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Its been tested, and I think the conclusion is that the shelf life is almost infinite.

Hmmmm feedback here told me the Esso 10/40 Oil in sealed containers from the late 70's early 80's was no good. And this is several cases sitting in a cool basement. API SL, SD, SH

It's all about the freezing and gelation. If it freezes, all bets are off ...

It has to be brought back to 180*F and stirred before you can be sure the add-pak and base oils are happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back