Thoughts on German Castrol 0W-40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked some up yesterday because it was on sale and plan to use it next oil change coming up soon in place of Pennzoil Ultra 0W-40. Not much talk about GC 0W-40 around here so I just figured I'd ask what everyone thinks, is it any good? It's made in Germany so I assume it's probably a "true" synthetic over the American made Edge? Can it handle a 7500 mile OCI in a Toyota 5VZ-FE V6 paired with a FRAM Ultra filter? Isn't the GC 0W-30 being phased out in favor of this stuff too I thought I read awhile back?

There's plenty of talk about Castrol 0W-40 'round here.

It's an awesome oil and should handle the OCI you're suggesting with ease.

The Castrol 0W40 is great. However oils marketed for the US are not required to be "truly synthetic" whereas the ones for German/Euro markets must be according to their laws, which are much more strict. This is what I've heard from other senior members here.

Also you can see on Castrol Edge bottles where it says not to be sold anywhere, but the Americas. Makes sense since the laws here don't really specify what "synthetic" means exactly. Compared to Europe where I believe it has to be group IV and V.

However none of that matters since GC 0W40 meets BMW LL01, Mercedes, VW and Porsche A40 requirements. Just putting this out there for clarification.

Looked into this a while ago. It's a true PAO-based synthetic, same stuff sold in Germany and at $26 for 5 quarts, a steal. Whatever you get now will be NOS though, the newer stuff is made in Belgium.

The 0w40 stuff in America and elsewhere is also a certain percentage PAO too though if I recall correctly. So there's probably not going to be a massive difference between them.

The reason they'd phase out the 0w30 for this is that the 30 was so close to a 40 anyways. HTHS > 3.5 for both.

Great choices, Castrol 0w40 & Fram Ultra, both about the best you can possibly buy today.

For a 2004 Toyota, maybe put in a half-bottle of 'Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver' (amazon.com or NAPA) or 'STP High Mileage Oil Treatment' (silver bottle, walmart) in the sump to make the resulting mixture a "High Mileage" style oil to keep the seals from getting too brittle in their old age.

I'd prefer to use Valvoline Maxlife Full Synthetic 5w30 in that Toyota though (high-mileage type stuff). Flows well in MT temperatures too.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Not much talk about GC 0W-40 around here

Huh? It is probably the most talked about oil on this forum. There is a whole sticky thread devoted to it.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/718643/FAQ_-_GC_(_German_Castrol_)#Post718643

Last edited:
There's no such thing as "German" Castrol anymore in the U.S. It is now "Belgian" Castrol. The additive-package is different (now contains titanium) but is every bit as stout as it used to be. From what I can tell, both Belgian Castrol 0W-30 and 0W-40 are still PAO-based oils.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
There's no such thing as "German" Castrol anymore. It is now "Belgian" Castrol. The additive-package is different (now contains titanium) but is every bit as stout as it used to be. From what I can tell, both Belgian Castrol 0W-30 and 0W-40 are still PAO-based oils.

The jugs of 0W40 I just bought are made in Germany.

Sorry about sideways.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

I should have qualified my statement by saying "in the U.S." I updated my post.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

I should have qualified my statement by saying "in the U.S." I updated my post.

My bottles say made in Germany on them.

Originally Posted By: jongies3
My bottles say made in Germany on them.

Interesting. Every jug of 0W-40 I've purchased says Made in Belgium, including the four I have sitting in a closet.

mine say Germany..what ever, seems like the right Ca/Mg ratio for a TGDI platform so I run it in mine.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
mine say Germany..what ever, seems like the right Ca/Mg ratio for a TGDI platform so I run it in mine.

I'd bet it's the same stuff inside, Belgian or German.

I switched to it from Mobil in my audi, no complaints. Even in the coldest weather we see here, it starts and runs easily.

22F cold start and warm-up here this morning on the way to a 60mi three stop back country errands, through a couple towns but never over 55mph. 54mpg.

I bought eleven gallons of the, "Made in Germany" stuff. I use this oil with a Mobil EP filter in my LS4. Good stuff!

This ia a ACEA PCMO not some API SN sauce ,FYI it's A3 B3 . Depend what you're using it for .Do'nt make blank statements .On top of that it's LL01 CERTIFIED ,mostly PAO per Mr Bob Darvo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back