Car front left axle shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I’m driving at higher speeds like on the interstate, you can feel a slight wobble coming from left from axle. And when braking you can definitely feel it. I change the rotor but problem still persists. The shaking comes from the car, no shaking in steering wheel or gas pedal so I’m guessing it isn’t steering or brake related. Can also feel a little jolt/play when going over bumps like rail road tracks. I’m guessing the problem is either a control bushing or wheel bearing? Any advice will be helpful. Thank you.

If it was a wheel bearing you would hear it.

Try rotating tires front to back and see if it changes.

Originally Posted By: Rand
If it was a wheel bearing you would hear it.

I've had multiple bearings fail w/o noise.

Assuming you've ruled out brake issues and a bad tire (have you?):

1) Jack up the car safely. Grasp the wheel at 9 and 3 and rock it. If there's play in this dimension only, suspect a tie rod end.

2) Grasp at 6 and 12. If rocking this direction also, suspect bearings. In this dimension only; ball joints.

3) Spin the wheel and grasp the coil. If detectable vibration, suspect bearings.

If this all checks out, you can also consider bushings and an upper strut mount if equipped. Car?

There will be suspension arrangements that can make this less than perfect a diagnosis, but it has worked reliably for me on numerous occasions.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Rotate the tires and see what happens. Probably a bad belt in the tire

Yep , what I was thinking , as a first step , any way .

Best of luck to you all , :)

I've had inner tie rods, with enough play to ocillate at certain speeds. I agree with moving the tire/wheel first. Wheel bearings can go bad without making noise, eventually they will but not always at first. Get under the car, look for loose tie rods, ball joints etc. Then move that tire to the rear.

Originally Posted By: justintendo
first step needs to be oro_o's suggestion...check the front end out.

That would have been my second suggestion . In addition to bad suspension parts , do not forget bad / messed up struts / shocks . Also , perhaps bad / loose fasteners .

And do not forget / overlook , bad / loose CV Joint for FWD .

Best of luck to you all , :)

I can’t rotate tires because they are staggered but tires are new. Tie rod was changed out a few years back with Moog tie rod and it still looks good with no play. Tomorrow I will jack it up and rest the control arms on jack stands and will wiggle the wheel and see what happens. And I’ll report back to you guys.

So I had some help from a friend that’s a mechanic and we found out it was my front control arm bushing. He says I should buy the entire arm with bushing and ball joint already in place. Is it an easy change?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: PhuongFU
They next question is mevotech or flennor?

Mevotech is pretty cheezy but there's also the chance that the same chinese factory is stamping out many names. Never heard of flennor.

I think it's a wheel bearing. Note how the rim doesn't seem permanently aligned to the brake caliper.

It's a mercedes CLK 500 if noone mentioned it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back