149 cc Kohler blowing oil out of vent

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 149cc Kohler on a Toro mower. It has the auto choke with the vacuum thingy attached. It's hooked to the carburetor...not the engine. It runs very (VERY) well, but while running, it blows (a steady dribble from the vent hose) oil out. It's not overfilled..it's actually about 1/2 way up the safe range.

Suggestions? I figured it had been turned over and needed to purge the oil from the vent. After running ten minutes, it still comes out at a steady (tiny) stream.

Sure does seem to run well. I'm wondering if there's some type of screen or separator plate that's out of place, causing oil to get thrown out the breather?

I don't see forceful gas out the tube, possibly pointing to a head gasket problem or such.

Does this have an oil dipstick that needs to be read a certain way? Just trying to rule out too much oil.

Last edited:
It can't hurt on checking the valve clearance, but i'm struggling to understand what this would have to do with oil being pushed out of the crankcase.

Originally Posted By: JTK
It can't hurt on checking the valve clearance, but i'm struggling to understand what this would have to do with oil being pushed out of the crankcase.

+1

Valves out of adjustment may cause it to be hard to start or have lower compression if one is hanging open, but I can't really see that being an issue.

My bet is head gasket issue, blow by from rings (poor design) or a PCV issue.

Does this engine blow any smoke out of the exhaust?

I'll look at the valve clearances, but I too think that's not going to be it. It starts on first pull and runs very smoothly. Can't believe the head gasket is blown (or even slightly compromised). Time to look at the dozen or so engines I have laying around (in my way). Will check for smoke from dipstick tube too. Getting a late start!

Almost sounds like blow-by increasing crankcase pressure thus forcing oil out the crankcase ventilation tube.

OP mentions that the oil reading is showing half full. What's the process for reading the oil level? Cap screwed down or cap up? That will make a difference regarding how much oil is actually in the crankcase.

Alright...I feel stupid. Took the flywheel off and removed the crankcase vent cover, that once upon a time, I knew was there. Freed up the little disc that seals off the vent, and things seem to be hunky dory. I'll run it for a half hour tomorrow to make sure the oil doesn't start up again, but I don't think it will. I feel like an idiot for taking so much apart. NEVER AGAIN...until next time. Pictures for those interested. Put a short, shaky video on You Tube, because there just wasn't one there that addresses this problem. Thanks for your patience. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opk5eHbv8Bo&feature=youtu.be

^ There you go! (as suggested in the first reply to you! LOL)

Glad you got it. I've not seen this on this particular make/model, but there's a first for everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back