MC FL-500S, 8,000 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening BITOG faithful. This filter and some EDGE 0w40 was off a friends older Ford Expedition. Vehicle has over 150,xxx miles on it also. I’d say the oil did some cleaning by what’s in can. Put another FL-500S and some more EDGE 0w40 he brought over. He hasn’t decided if he will do UOA or not.

Enjoy the pics

Originally Posted By: car51
... I’d say the oil did some cleaning by what’s in can. ...
What is that stuff? (Metal? Carbon? Sludgy goo? Mud?)

Thanks!

Do all Motorcraft filters say "Designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford Motor Company"?

If they do, and Purolator makes these filters, is Ford partially to blame for torn filters?

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Do all Motorcraft filters say "Designed, engineered, and recommended by Ford Motor Company"?

If they do, and Purolator makes these filters, is Ford partially to blame for torn filters?

Good question. I'm sure Ford/Motorcraft division has been contacted by a few members here about finding torn media on MC filters. If Ford listened and did something about it in conjunction with their manufacturer (Purolator) is unknown.

If Purolator is not building to the Ford design specs (ie, using wrong media, or not spacing pleats correctly, etc) then it's more on Purolator IMO. If Purolator is building per Ford specs, then it would be more of an engineering design issue.

Like the 910S posted recently also at 8k miles fci, this one looks excellent.

And noticed this one has the oblong intake holes, which on the Puro labeled filters have exhibited indentions or cuts. Apparently none here. Speculating, unlike Puro, MC500 uses thread end bypass so the center tube outlet hole end is slightly narrower with less or no taper, so no pressure on central part of adbv from edge of inlet holes.

Excepting some 820S, generally speaking recent MC anecdotes have looked good.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Good question. I'm sure Ford/Motorcraft division has been contacted by a few members here about finding torn media on MC filters. If Ford listened and did something about it in conjunction with their manufacturer (Purolator) is unknown.
snip...
snip

Zee - Affirmative, I did contact Motorcraft on my issue with the FL820S. I heard from the dealer but they wanted to "test and diagnose the vehicle". For a $4 filter, I said no. I think the report died at that point. Clearly Ford's attitude is there is something wrong with the engine, oil or maintenance. The user would have to pay for diagnosis to prove the engine was in good health before blaming the filter.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled

snip...
snip

Zee - Affirmative, I did contact Motorcraft on my issue with the FL820S. I heard from the dealer but they wanted to "test and diagnose the vehicle". For a $4 filter, I said no. I think the report died at that point. Clearly Ford's attitude is there is something wrong with the engine, oil or maintenance. The user would have to pay for diagnosis to prove the engine was in good health before blaming the filter.

Typical dealership derailment. So you never heard anything back from Motorcraft?

If Purolator is not building to the Ford design specs (ie, using wrong media, or not spacing pleats correctly, etc) then it's more on Purolator IMO. If Purolator is building per Ford specs, then it would be more of an engineering design issue.
Either way, I blame Ford as well because they should be holding Purolator to a standard, if Purolator can't provide a quality product then Ford should end their contract and move on to a better company.

Either way, I blame Ford as well because they should be holding Purolator to a standard, if Purolator can't provide a quality product then Ford should end their contract and move on to a better company.

+1
A poor quality part is a bad reflection on Ford. For whatever reason, Ford appears happy with the status quo.

Exactly, and maybe Ford did ping Purolator on it IF they wanted to look into a reason why their oil filters were failing ... but we'll never know if anything transpired between Ford and Purolator. I know if I was in a position at a company like Ford to look at a parts supplier, they would get back in line if there was an issue, or a new supplier would be found quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back