Car battery at 12.2V: replace?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOGers,

The original battery on my Toyota Yaris (9.5 years, in the Midwest), reads 12.2 in the morning, before start-up.
Should I change, before cold/winter comes?

Any battery deals out there?

Thank you

Was it driven the day before and fully charged before shutting down the night before? And what was the battery temperature at time of voltage measurement? Any abnormal parasitic current draw?

9.5 years is getting up there, so might be wise to get a new battery before winter really sets in.

The cars is driven daily 6 days a week (20-25 minutes each way, at 45-80mph).
Ambient temperature was 38-50s in the last week...

I would stop & get it tested, you'll probably find it's getting weak. I put a WM Valu Power in my xB, $49.99 + tax with a core, it's been great so far. Otherwise you'll be spending in the $100 range.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Hi BITOGers,

The original battery on my Toyota Yaris (9.5 years, in the Midwest), reads 12.2 in the morning, before start-up.

Thank you

Put a multi-meter on the battery and point it toward the windshield. Get in the car and push the accelerator right to the floor so the engine will crank over without turning on the fuel injectors (Clear flood mode) and as it's cranking see if it drops below 10.5 volts. If not then the battery is fine and may just be under charged. Also check the voltage it snaps back to after 30 seconds or less of cranking. If it goes back to 12ish right away then investigate the alternator.

I just went through all this nonsense with my car.
lol.gif

Hi BITOGers,

Thank you

I would not make a decision based upon voltage alone. Get a proper battery test with a load tester or Midtronics.

But at 9.5 years, it will need replacement soon.

I would go with Walmart MAXX. Good battery, warranty replacements all over.

That's actually a pretty good voltage for a battery that old. New and fully charged it's about 12.7 at a no load state at about 70 degrees. As others said, get it load tested.

The Wal-Mart Evermaxx is a great battery and compares to the top of the line lead acid batteries anywhere. Wal-Mart has a lower markup on it.

I'd replace it being that it's 9.5 years old. Why risk being stranded? I got a great deal on a Napa Legend 75 month battery for my VW, but I had to replace it using the prorated warranty after 2 years. To be fair, the original battery only lasted 2 years. My car uses an electric water pump that runs after the car is shut off which shortens the battery life.

IIRC, a battery that drops and holds at 12.2V is about 50% of rated capacity. You can get by with it until you need to "dig deep" and need the extra capacity. A Chicago winter might induce that need...

Check that the alternator is charging it, too. It should be over 14V running and not exceed 15 revved. But at that age, a new battery is probably wise before it gets much colder. I have found good deals the last few times I needed a battery at Firestone. Buy online, decline the installation, and the price for a very good Interstate is better than most deals you can find.

Hi BITOGers,

Thank you

Replace ASAP, you got your moneys worth out of that old battery.

You don't want to get stranded.

I agree with Me. Nice, Nick1994, and StevieC in replacing this battery my friend. It has been a work horse for over 9 years. It has done it's good service for ya. There were 25% off Advance Auto coupons out until yesterday..
Go figure. In the battery hunt I would say East Penn made batteries are the best option. Which means O Reilly's or Napa or batteries plus would be the places to find them. Though some Wally World stores have East Penn made batteries as well. My Wally World has batteries from East Penn. Nothing wrong with Johnson controls batteries that are the gold series as well.

At 9.5 years old, I have to say, that's pretty [censored] good for a battery. One of the main factors in longevity is how much you drive the vehicle; you driving 6 days a week is one of the main contributing factors of it lasting so long; and, along with your climate. Here in Florida if you get 3-4 years out of a battery you really got you're moneys worth out of it. In addition when you check the charging system, you need to do it with a new battery - if you do it with a old battery it will not be a good measure of the alternator performance.

So, I my vote goes to you replacing the battery for good measure; especially since you are going into wintertime.

Toyota's OEM batteries are pretty impressive. My wife's 2011 Highlander still has its OEM battery, and when I've had it load-tested for the last two Falls, it has always tested strong. Their OEM replacements are the only ones I can still find with 84-month warranties; all others max out at 36-40 months. They're a $120 item (plus the dealer's PIA installation fee), but the things do seem to last. If you're planning on running the Yaris for a while, an OEM (True-Start?) might be something to consider.

Hi BITOGers,

Thank you

It is already way past warranty. I'd see if your local Toyota dealers has another OEM battery just like it on special.

You lucky devil, your 26R is one of the five sizes WM has in their econo line.

Since your starter is probably smaller than a can of beer it's been getting by on what's left of the stocker, but time is likely not on your side.

Replace it. The battery is aged, and served you well.

You don't want to get stuck in the cold during the winter months..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back