Has anyone here updated to macOS High Sierra?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an early 2011 13" MacBook Pro with 8GB's or ram and a Samsung 850 SSD. My MBP is getting long toothed, so my concern
is if this upgrade will make it slower?

Of course it will. I wouldn't do it.

I upgraded my kids iPad mini (don't remember which one but its one of the early ones) to iOS 11 and it's SO SLOW, it's pathetic. Can't go back to iOS 10. Been thinking about writing a complaint to Apple that they killed my sons device with the latest update.

I refuse to update my iPhone 7 to iOS 11 for that reason.

Same with my MacBook 10 inch. I refuse to update to any new OS because the laptop hardware won't be able to handle it. It will be laggy and slow, forcing you to buy a new laptop. It's sickening what they do. I don't play that game anymore. I've learned from past mistakes.... ALWAYS stick to only the OS the device came with.

I upgraded my late 2012 Mac Mini to HS without a problem or any difference really. I too have 8GB of RAM on that but I'm using a magnetic drive instead of an SSD.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Of course it will. I wouldn't do it.

I upgraded my kids iPad mini (don't remember which one but its one of the early ones) to iOS 11 and it's SO SLOW, it's pathetic. Can't go back to iOS 10. Been thinking about writing a complaint to Apple that they killed my sons device with the latest update.

I refuse to update my iPhone 7 to iOS 11 for that reason.

Same with my MacBook 10 inch. I refuse to update to any new OS because the laptop hardware won't be able to handle it. It will be laggy and slow, forcing you to buy a new laptop. It's sickening what they do. I don't play that game anymore. I've learned from past mistakes.... ALWAYS stick to only the OS the device came with.

Must be the Ipad Mini 2 (latest is 4), which was the first mini to come with a 64-bit processor, which is a prerequisite to iOS 11. Our Mini 1 is 32-bit and is stuck with iOS 9.X.X. I can't imagine asking it to do much more, because it's not very fast as-is; however, it plays the learning games and videos pretty well for our son and came to us for $free.99, so we can't complain.

I updated my iPhone 6-Plus to iOS 11 (now on 11.1) and have no complaints. I experienced some lag at first and there are instances when screen changes take a fraction of a second longer, but the benefits of the new OS are worth it to me. Your 7 is even more powerful and capable, and will benefit from even more features than my phone.

Running it on half my macs- no problems or perceived slowdown - that is of course after the entire computer reindexes spotlight.

UD

No idea with Mac. If you asked about Windows 10 I would say in a heartbeat yes. The modern OS is so much more efficient then previous windows so it works well on low end and old hardware .

Only problem I am having is it won’t connect to hidden SSID’s...

I suggest buying a new hard drive, and installing a fresh copy of High Sierra.
Put the old one in a cheap USB external case.

NewEgg has Western Digital Black platter drives,
OWC has good SSD drives

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
No idea with Mac. If you asked about Windows 10 I would say in a heartbeat yes. The modern OS is so much more efficient then previous windows so it works well on low end and old hardware .

Sounds like a first from MS!

I upgraded my early MacBook Air (core2duo and 4gb ram) to Sierra, and it's ok. Not as memory efficient.

With 8gb you'll hopefully be ok to go to high sierra, but unless there's a compelling feature, you may be better off sticking with what you have...

When Apple comes out with a new version I never do the upgrade, I always download and make a USB bootable stick and then install fresh.

With Windows I will do the same thing with major upgrades because it never seems to work properly.

Originally Posted By: NoNameJoe
I upgraded my late 2012 Mac Mini to HS without a problem or any difference really. I too have 8GB of RAM on that but I'm using a magnetic drive instead of an SSD.

Good to hear I have the same machine but with 16GB. Was debating on upgrading.

I have a late 2012 MBP Retina with 8gb.

MacOS High Sierra works fine. Performance is unchanged from Sierra.

I am not sure everything is comparable with APFS, so if you have non Apple programs installed it bears a little looking into.

The key to using old devices is to avoid using any new ones. That way you don’t notice that they are slow.

In all seriousness, my 2012 mini handles High Sierra with no worries. It does have an SSD and I was looking forward to APFS....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back