Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 Dexos 1 Gen 2 is out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up six quarts today at my local Wal Mart for my 2016 Chevy Colorado. You have to look close under the Dexos 1 symbol but it indeed says Gen 2 approved.

If platinum is Gen2 then PU is,just hasnt bought the licensing.Same case as PP 0w20 being HTO-06 spec'd,its pasted just no hurry to pay the oil police.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Has Ultra Platinum been updated to gen2 yet?

Besides the fact it’s hardly on anyone’s shelves, one has to wonder if Ultra is really worth the extra cost and time to locate? My opinion is that it is not. PP dexos gen2 looks pretty impressive on paper.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Has Ultra Platinum been updated to gen2 yet?

Besides the fact it’s hardly on anyone’s shelves, one has to wonder if Ultra is really worth the extra cost and time to locate? My opinion is that it is not. PP dexos gen2 looks pretty impressive on paper.

Is there a new spec sheet for D1G2 to reference? I did not find one on their website.

The site appears to be restricted to certain individuals. We got the link from a generous poster. Another poster here is sending in a sample of the 5W30 for analysis so we should know soon.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
If platinum is Gen2 then PU is,just hasnt bought the licensing.Same case as PP 0w20 being HTO-06 spec'd,its pasted just no hurry to pay the oil police.

That's a nice theory but there's no way to no for sure. If it's not on the bottle, you're just speculating.

So I guess the main question is, did anything change with PP to make it D1G2 licensed, or can we assume PP bought this year would in theory pass the licensing requirements.

I've been going around different Walmart stores in Oklahoma City area. So far I've found the following Dexos 1 Gen 2

Valvoline Full Syn
Mobil 1
Castrol Magnatec (haven't seen any Dexos 1 Gen 2 Castrol Edge)
Quaker State Full syn
Pennzoil full syn

I've only seen Valvoline & Mobil 1 at every store I've been to that are Dexos 1 Gen 2 certified. I recently bought a 2017 Malibu 1.5L. The QS/Pennzoil/Castrol Magnatec are very hit & miss.

When you compare the PP 5w-30 D1G2 spec sheet with the QSUD 5w-30 D1G2 VOA the Quaker State looks like a thicker viscosity by a good bit. I'm wondering if they tweaked the PP recipe for a hair better cold start flow and a tad better gas mileage?

Last edited:
Checked a couple of Wallies the past few days, found Synpower but other brands are all gen1. Seems to be slow to hit the shelves here.

Just got a call back from Pennzoil tech support in tx. They confirmed that PP D1G2 is reformulated and that they only starting producing it in September. The old PP is close, but not the same.

I put the new PP 5w-30 in both my Colorado and Century yesterday and boy the engines feel really smooth and quiet on this stuff.

Originally Posted By: 340_Magnum
I put the new PP 5w-30 in both my Colorado and Century yesterday and boy the engines feel really smooth and quiet on this stuff.

It's the placebo effect.
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back