Thanks Pablo, Going with Amsoil Bypass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'm going to take the plunge and get an Amsoil Bypass unit.

I will do a UOA prior to installing, then do a short OCI before installing it and then do a UOA at 5K intervals until I know where the sweet point is.

I would stick with the regiment of just the EAK filters and Oil but I'm driving a lot more with this job and it will just come down to convenience really and then there is the cost savings aspect of a few oil changes not needed that will pay for the system and then it's savings from there.

Plus I will have cleaner oil all the time so the engine should last longer and I can take this system to the next vehicle just changing out the spin-on adapter and the hoses.

So I will use up the few EAK filters I have left and then I will install. I will take pictures and post the UOA's here to contribute.

ByPassMountsGroup_lg.png

I don't know much about bypass filters, so is there really any advantage to running one in a vehicle that's not a diesel or an over-the-road semi? I mean, I understand that you can extends OCIs even further, but does it do a whole lot in a vehicle that's used for "normal" day-to-day activity?

Congrats, StevieC.

I think there was a gentleman with a Honda who had a regimen of changing the oil at 40k miles with a modified kit (if memory serves me right), even if he had the UOAs to prove he could go more....

May I also suggest you check the Dodge Journey forums for suspension and also life expectancy of components mods?
-suspension+tires for your bad back
-the rest, what could be replaced pro-active/improved to get the vehicle to a longer ownership experience.

Originally Posted By: JustN89
I don't know much about bypass filters, so is there really any advantage to running one in a vehicle that's not a diesel or an over-the-road semi? I mean, I understand that you can extends OCIs even further, but does it do a whole lot in a vehicle that's used for "normal" day-to-day activity?

It super cleans the oil so it can be used a lot longer and only requires filter changes and top-up to drive an insane amount of miles. Good for folks like me that work on the road and it saves operating costs and makes oil changes a lot more convenient than monthly or every 2 months like I'm doing now.

More info here: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/f...code=BMK23-EA#B

Last edited:

If my memory serves me right, there was a gentlemen with a Honda, couple years ago, who had a thread where they've (pro and cons) done the math:
I think it was about $300 extra over 120k miles.

So I'm going to peace of mind (unless somebody owns the equipment to measure the engine wear before and after)

Before you install a bypass do a UOA at 7500. The bypass filter will not help with depletion of additives.

It does not make sense to install a bypass unless you have a large oil sump like > 12 qts.

More hoses to fail when it really will not buy your engine much of anything.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Before you install a bypass do a UOA at 7500. The bypass filter will not help with depletion of additives.

It does not make sense to install a bypass unless you have a large oil sump like > 12 qts.

1) I know this... I have every confidence it will last just fine after 7500. The TBN is barely touched in my engine without bypass after 10,000km (6,000 miles).

2) Explain the the 12 qts theory and why Amsoil isn't suggesting this in fear of grenading engines.

3) Hoses, Really? Do transmission hoses last the life of the vehicle? Why wouldn't oil bypass hoses that are high quality such as these?

Originally Posted By: JC1
Steve

Does the journey have the V6 pentastar motor or the 4 cyl?

4 Cylinder 2.4 Litre World Gas Engine.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

1) I know this... I have every confidence it will last just fine after 7500. The TBN is barely touched in my engine without bypass after 10,000km (6,000 miles).

2) Explain the the 12 qts theory and why Amsoil isn't suggesting this in fear of grenading engines.

3) Hoses, Really? Do transmission hoses last the life of the vehicle? Why wouldn't oil bypass hoses that are high quality such as these?

1) OK
2) if a bypass filter allows one to run 20,000 miles vs 10,000 miles on 12 QT oil pan you save money because of the cost of the oil. Semi trucks probably have 3 to 4 gallons. My Powerstroke has 14 QTs. However if you save only on 5 QTs it starts to become less of a savings and probably not worth it.
3) any hose can break, and if its a hose delivering lubrication, then thats a huge problem. I realize AT hoses can break. But they are factory and are located where there will be less chance of damage. But a DIY install of a bypass filter means your running hoses in locations you feel least likely to have an issue.

My point is whether you install a Magnefine filter in AT line or bypass filter in oil line is that the expected gain needs to justify the added risk. I see little benefit in a gas engine with normal 5 QT oil pan. The benefit becomes more apparent with diesel engines with large oil sumps.

2) if a bypass filter allows one to run 20,000 miles vs 10,000 miles on 12 QT oil pan you save money because of the cost of the oil. Semi trucks probably have 3 to 4 gallons. My Powerstroke has 14 QTs.

Tractors are more like 10-15 gallons.

Originally Posted By: pandus13

If my memory serves me right, there was a gentlemen with a Honda, couple years ago, who had a thread where they've (pro and cons) done the math:
I think it was about $300 extra over 120k miles.

So I'm going to peace of mind (unless somebody owns the equipment to measure the engine wear before and after)

I'm sure the cleaner oil will help lessen engine wear some vs standard filter. Longer OCIs will help offset the cost overtime.

It's for convenience, like the OP said, more then anything. If he can double or triple his OCIs without ANY POSSIBLE negative side effect or worry, then the cost of the kit is worth it's weight in Gold to the owner.

I say Go For It! Many on here would definitely appreciate the results.

Pablo is a good guy for sure. I wish I lived in the U.S. and could support him with my Amsoil purchases.
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back