Can Auto Xmsn Shift Points on GM 1.4T be Changed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently bought a Vanderhall 3-Wheeler with GM 1.4 Turbo and 6 speed Auto Xmsn. It goes into 6th at about 45mph and runs approx. 1800rpm or less.

Feels like its lugging to me. I seem to drive a lot in that speed range and would much prefer running in 5th which seems strong and runs about 2000 rpms. I would love to have the Xmsn changed so that it won't shift into 6th gear till about 50mph.

Vanderhall makes, as an option, a bump shifter with a "manual" notch on the shift knob. If you use manual you have to shift up and down thru all the gears.

This doesn't appeal to me and the price of this option is about $1000.

It's not lugging. The 1st gen Cruze 1.4t runs in 6th at like 35mph if it can, and it downshifts as appropriate. 1800 rpm is way too high to be lugging an engine. What you are feeling is the engine not making max boost. It feels better above 2k because the turbo is making full boost. I believe these small turbos spin up completely at around 2k RPM.

Here is the power curves for the older 1.4t engine (code: LUJ). It was superseded by the LUV engine which is basically the same thing. Now both of these family 0 engines were replaced by the GM Small Gasoline Engine 1.4t which is a totally new design.
engines_plots_LUJ_cruze_mt.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: VetteElite
It's not lugging. Now both of these family 0 engines were replaced by the GM Small Gasoline Engine 1.4t which is a totally new design.

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume mine is the new design; the shifting is basically the same as the older ones?

On my above post I said the bump shifter required shifting up and down; I've since learned that it only requires up shifts, or down if u like a lower gear, otherwise it will gear down on its own as you slow.

Originally Posted By: tc1446
It's not lugging. Now both of these family 0 engines were replaced by the GM Small Gasoline Engine 1.4t which is a totally new design.

Thanks for the feedback. I would assume mine is the new design; the shifting is basically the same as the older ones?

On my above post I said the bump shifter required shifting up and down; I've since learned that it only requires up shifts, or down if u like a lower gear, otherwise it will gear down on its own as you slow.

A quick google seems to show that your engine is the LUV which is the older Family 0. The torque curve I posted will thus apply. I've driven a few thousand miles on the LUV engine in a Cruze; don't worry about lugging, they are just weak engines in low RPMs, but that's where the fuel economy comes from. Get above 2500 rpm and they drink fuel. Stay below and they sip slowly.

A quick google seems to show that your engine is the LUV which is the older Family 0. The torque curve I posted will thus apply. I've driven a few thousand miles on the LUV engine in a Cruze; don't worry about lugging, they are just weak engines in low RPMs, but that's where the fuel economy comes from. Get above 2500 rpm and they drink fuel. Stay below and they sip slowly.

When did GM stop making the LUV model? Sounds like Vanderhall bought up a bunch of NOS; prob got a good price. lol.

If you're up for it and have $600-800 to spend on a license for it or know someone who has a license for it, you can use EFILive to tweak the shift points. EFILive is a program that can manipulate the "operating system" within newer GM PCMs.

It's not for the faint of heart, one wrong move and you can hose your PCM and/or powertrain.

When did GM stop making the LUV model? Sounds like Vanderhall bought up a bunch of NOS; prob got a good price. lol.

LUV is still in production; still used in the Sonic and lower models of the Trax and Encore. The Cruze and Encore Sport have dropped it for the direct injected Small Gasoline Engine 1.4t (code LE2).

In all honesty, the LUV engine literally has hundreds of thousands examples driving around worldwide and it's a pretty solid engine. It has quirks and it does have some things it has a reputation for (PCV problems especially) but overall nothing to worry too much about. Easy to work on, too. Spark plugs can be done in 5 minutes.

How do you like the vehicle? I had never even heard of it before, looks like an interesting fun weekend car.

Last edited:
VE: I previously had a Slingshot which I liked a lot; it had the GM 2.4L. Traded it in on the Vanderhall Venice which I also like a lot even tho it lacks some creature comforts the Slingshot had; glove compartment, bigger trunk spaces, wider cockpit, etc. Pro's for the Venice are front wheel drive instead of whining rear wheel drive, much better visibility all around, especially the rear, automatic xmsn, and simply 'because its something new and different. Possible downside is that so few are on the road yet, there is little owner feedback on "how to"s". No large forum like the Sling has with lots of knowledgable members and vendors selling anything one could think of; just a few of us on Facebook and no vendors. . However, Vanderhall does have a rep on Facebook and he will promptly reply to questions. When I complained that front fenders were too short on top side, allowing tired to pick up grit/debris and throw it forward with the wind blowing it back in ones face and in the cockpit, Vanderhall replied the made them for "form over function". Got sort of used to it but the other day, out on country roads, a truck spraying liquid poop on farmers field, also sprayed the road. I ran thru the fresh stuff at 60 mph and got a healthy dose of it all over me and vehicle! LOL. Posted this on facebook and called it "function over form". They are, however, making taller fenders as an aftermarket accessory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back