Is Pennzoil (Ultra) Platinum still quieter than M1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eons ago many had the experience of Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra running a bit quieter than M1. I'm wondering if that's still true. I've been using M1 EP for a while, and Pennzoil and M1 oils have been reformulated along the way. I know protection will be excellent with both.

Last edited:
Ran Pennzoil Ultra (SM) 5W-20 and M1 AFE (SN) 0W-20 in my 2010 FX4. No way to tell the difference between the two. I daresay the majority of the "sound detection" is placebo at best. Blind folded, I question the ability to tell the difference.

Not a lick of difference in any of my vehicles. I don't believe that two different brand oils of the same viscosity CAN make a significant difference in sound. I know others swear they can hear a difference... I think they're quite likely fooling themselves. Just my observation.

I may try M1 5w30 next so if its changed to be at least 1/2 decent I might stop trashing the non-synthetic "fully synthetic" oil here
smile.gif
Only one time in the past 35 years - with one REAL synthetic iteration of the stuff - has an engine responded well to an influx of M1. I think it was a Mid-Nineties 1.6L Mitsubishi Mirage 2 door coupe.

In any event, 10w30 non-dexos QSUD has been the most noise abating oil used in my Rogue QR25DE aluminum engine, and the Factory Fill has been quietest in the wife's new 2.0L FB series Crosstrek, with the Dealer service fill idemitsu 0W20 the noisiest.
The older Magnatec 5w30 semi-syn would surely be a tie or runner up with the QSUD.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra is straight up way way for quiet than Mobil 1... Dead silent is Pennzoil Ultra. Why?? Because you can't find it anywhere in order to buy it much less run it in a motor. I want to buy it at a store like it used to be at Walmart. I have no interest in doing online purchasing for a number of years. So... Pennzoil Ultra in a landslide is WAY, above and beyond quieter than Mobil 1.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Ran Pennzoil Ultra (SM) 5W-20 and M1 AFE (SN) 0W-20 in my 2010 FX4. No way to tell the difference between the two. I daresay the majority of the "sound detection" is placebo at best. Blind folded, I question the ability to tell the difference.

Nailed it. This.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Not a lick of difference in any of my vehicles. I don't believe that two different brand oils of the same viscosity CAN make a significant difference in sound. I know others swear they can hear a difference... I think they're quite likely fooling themselves. Just my observation.

I can't disagree with you logically, but when I made the switch in my wife's van, I made the same switch in my father's (his is a 2016). I said nothing about the change, and each of them separately asked me what I did to make their car run quieter/smoother. I can't explain it, but that was their perception.

Not for me/Ecoboost with dB meter (best to worst)

1. M1 0w40
2. M1 5w40
3. M1 5w30 EP
4. M1 5w30
4. PP 5w30 (Ultra; never tested normal PP)

EP was quieter than PUP in the Cruze too …
If I went back to RDS products … would buy regular PP …

Originally Posted By: 2016Accord
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

I can't disagree with you logically, but when I made the switch in my wife's van, I made the same switch in my father's (his is a 2016). I said nothing about the change, and each of them separately asked me what I did to make their car run quieter/smoother. I can't explain it, but that was their perception.

I have experienced the same with other oils with members of my family. People who don't know what oil is in their cars.

Based on the feedback in this thread sounds like there is little difference these days or M1/EP is a bit better with noise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
And if so how many DB's

The frequencies of sounds produced also affect noise comfort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
And if so how many DB's

The frequency of sounds produced can also affect noise comfort.

Well then give me the frequency differences too.

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
And if so how many DB's

The frequency of sounds produced can also affect noise comfort.

Well then give me the frequency differences too.

And you can tear down your engine and give us the wear measurements next time you make a comment on an oil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
Pennzoil Ultra is straight up way way for quiet than Mobil 1... Dead silent is Pennzoil Ultra. Why?? Because you can't find it anywhere in order to buy it much less run it in a motor.[...] So... Pennzoil Ultra in a landslide is WAY, above and beyond quieter than Mobil 1.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I was in NAPA today to get a back up light to replace one that burned out in our 09 Sonata , I walked right down the aisle where the motor oil was shelved and I did not hear so much as a peep coming from either the penzoil or mobil oil area , in fact all of the motor oils seemed very very quiet today. They all appeared to be equally quiet, regardless of brand.

Originally Posted By: BJD78
I was in NAPA today to get a back up light to replace one that burned out in our 09 Sonata , I walked right down the aisle where the motor oil was shelved and I did not hear so much as a peep coming from either the penzoil or mobil oil area , in fact all of the motor oils seemed very very quiet today. They all appeared to be equally quiet, regardless of brand.

Now that is funny !!
lol.gif
lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back