Different color bump stops, same P/N, why ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just recieved my genuine GM bump stops. They are different colors! Part numbers on the bag match. Same size. Both have the BASF logo on them. No dirt, scuffs, etc. Bag appears to be sealed. I don't care if I have color matching bump stops, just wondering if its ok to proceed with install.

Different production runs? One is aged on the shelf, and the other is new? If they are the same as far as compressibility then I'd call it good. If they are different then it's time for a do over.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
just wondering if its ok to proceed with install.

Why wouldn't it be?

Because it doesn't look like something as simple as red vs black rubber. Almost looks like exposure, or a different type of rubber. Was wondering if anyone else has seen this replacing the bump stops.

Sun exposure? One was at the front of the shelf where the sun could hit it. The other was behind. Would that affect the material?

I doubt they are super careful about the amount of dye mixed into each batch of whatever polymer they're using. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Yeah, I hope its just the dye. Agree, wouldn't give it a second though except for the truck sits on them full time in the front.

I've seen GM bump stops in both colors. Different dye on a different day for a part where color doesn't matter anyways.

Just because the bump stops are different colors does not mean one bump stop is better than the other. They're both very good bump stops, both will do a good job, and should be paid the same wages and have the same opportunities.

the truck sits on them full time in the front.

Which doesn't sound right.

Sounds like a 1/2 ton plow truck? Can't say I've seen an Escalade with a plow on.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
the truck sits on them full time in the front.

Which doesn't sound right.

Sounds like a 1/2 ton plow truck? Can't say I've seen an Escalade with a plow on.

Yeah, I searched around, and it appears to be the way it is on all this era SUVs. Sits right on the control arm all the time.

Not in the rear, its floating on the air bags. Doing them anyways.

Originally Posted By: khittner
Maybe you should check out the relevant forum: DITBSG (Darrell Is The Bump Stop Guy) . . .

smirk.gif

Even on a vehicle's paint, where color is relatively critical, every batch is slightly different. I wouldn't worry about it.

One does not show up in April wearing their fashionable regalia and not have white bump stops. The shame would be too much to bear.

Yeah, I searched around, and it appears to be the way it is on all this era SUVs. Sits right on the control arm all the time.

No it doesn't, if it did there is no point in having any suspension at all. That upper part is hollow, you can see where it bumps on the bottom of the bumper.
The color is not from exposure its from a different plant that's all. The originals look fine, no cracks or splitting, waste of time and money changing them IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back