What is the best Mobil 1 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, AFE, EP or AP?

Talking about 2GR-FE engine, 0W30 or 5W30?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Depends what you plan on doing with it.

AFE = for best fuel economy

EP = best for long drain intervals such as 15,000 miles

If you plan on changing the oil more frequently, I'd probably go with the AFE 0w30.

What do you mean by "best"?

The 2GR-FE is very easy on oil, so even the cheapest off-the-shelf oil you can find at Walmart or Meijer will get you to 300k on that engine.

To answer your question directly, I'd say 0w40.
For your particular engine, I use 5w30 for the warm season and 0w30 in the cold.
Don't know if that is the best procedure, but has worked well for me for the last 5 years in an Avalon.

The best M1 for you will be the the one that meets the specs for your engine, matches your needs for a motor oil ( long or short oci, economy, etc) and fits your budget. There is no real best.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Worst: 0w40

Best: 10w40 High Mileage

I'd say a 10W40 for a guy doing a change in Michigan in November is not the best oil.
San Diego, no problem.

Thinkin you've got that backwards.

0W-40 is easily Mobil's best oil.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

Thinkin you've got that backwards.

0W-40 is easily Mobil's best oil.

Yup, agreed.

Originally Posted By: sir1900

The 2GR-FE is very easy on oil, so even the cheapest off-the-shelf oil you can find at Walmart or Meijer will get you to 300k on that engine.

How does one know which engines are "easy" on oil or "hard" on oil?? What are the criteria for an engine to be "easy" on oil? I see this statement on here all the time and am puzzled by it.

Originally Posted By: loneryder

How does one know which engines are "easy" on oil or "hard" on oil?? What are the criteria for an engine to be "easy" on oil? I see this statement on here all the time and am puzzled by it.

That's easy when the new AI cars happen they will tell you they are low on oil. Then instead of driving themselves to the oil change they will go see their girl friend for the evening.

Last edited:
All M1 oils are outstanding for their purpose. Any of them will provide very long lasting engines.

The 2GR-FE is easily one of the most discussed engines on these boards alone. Also, there are countless UOAs for these engines using the bulk conventional and cheap synthetic. Most have shown outstanding results.

My all-time favorite M1 oil is a 50/50 mix of M1 Racing 0w50 and M1 0w20 AFE

It's an OUTSTANDING mix. I might try to substitute the AFE portion with M1 0w20 EP

I think of some of these things when I see that: minimal fuel dilution, minimal shearing, established good TBN retention, low wear metals exhibited in UOAs.

Originally Posted By: lawrencerd

I think of some of these things when I see that: minimal fuel dilution, minimal shearing, established good TBN retention, low wear metals exhibited in UOAs.

Yes, the general assessments you see are usually based on people looking through archives of oil analyses and also general knowledge about the engine's design and architecture (does it have things like gear drives which tend to shear oil? Flat-tappet cams that shear oil? Does it run the oil at an unusually high or low temperature that will either oxidze or acidify the oil? Is it DI and tend to dilute oil? Does it have atypically large diameter bearings and high bearing speed that shears oil (eg old Oldsmobile big blocks)? Undersized bearings that have high oil film strength requirements, etc.?) Usually its not so much that an engine is particularly "easy" on oil, its that a few engines are notoriously hard on oil. An example from years ago is the Nissan VQ and VG, which are highly respected engines but known for shearing down oil pretty rapidly.

I was just about to ask a similar question. What is the difference between EP, AP and AFE? I have a '17 CRV, 1.5L turbo so I worry about LSPI and doesn't look like AFE meets the dex1 gen 2 spec, but the other two do.

Ultimately, between EP and AP, price not being a factor, which one is better?

Originally Posted By: Ruby2013Elantra
I was just about to ask a similar question. What is the difference between EP, AP and AFE? I have a '17 CRV, 1.5L turbo so I worry about LSPI and doesn't look like AFE meets the dex1 gen 2 spec, but the other two do.

Ultimately, between EP and AP, price not being a factor, which one is better?

I believe that 0W30 AFE has been a low calcium formulation like the plain 5W30 as well as 5W30 EP, and XOM claims that it has a Gen 2 license.
"Mobil 1 0W-30 has the following builder approvals:
General Motors Service Fill dexos1™ Gen 2 (License number D10102GH015)"
I have been keeping an eye out for the Gen 2 AFE jugs and haven't seen them on the shelves yet.

I don't think we know enough about AP to say too much about it, haven't seen a comprehensive VOA with NOACK, CCS, and nice stuff like that. I am running 5W30 AP that I bought because it had a Gen 2 license # as well as a nice $10 WM gift card and my car seems like its same old self, engine has only caught fire 2-3 times in 2500 miles.
;^)
I kid, I kid!
If you're asking about 0/5W20, sorry that I can't be of much help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back