Transfer case "gauge" hose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably a question better suited for a Jeep forum, but I've only seen it once so figured I'd ask here anyways.

I saw a photo where someone took a clear flexible hose with threaded fittings on the ends. One end went onto his transfer case's fill hole and the other went onto the drain hole. The result was a nice u- shaped inspection "gauge" that would clearly show the fluid level without getting under the vehicle and removing the fill plug.

The question is for my truck, which also has a New Progress/ New Venture transfer case. A co worker directed me to my transfer case's fluid level when I was complaining about my lack of power (clogged cat).. Wasn't the issue, but sure enough it was LOW. Common GM thing I guess. Took well over 1 quart. This is just a band aid until I can fix the leak. I pulled just over 10k out of the last fill so I should be good for a while.
21.gif

Can anyone think of where to start looking? I can't even find a flexible enough hose to make that bend.

Also, I used Maxlife on the first fill and re-filled with Maxlife because it's what I had on hand.

Probably going to start topping off with DexIII. It's a mineral oil and a tad thicker. Certainly won't hurt anything.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Also, I used Maxlife on the first fill and re-filled with Maxlife because it's what I had on hand.

Probably going to start topping off with DexIII. It's a mineral oil and a tad thicker. Certainly won't hurt anything.

Actually, Dex VI is a tad thicker than Maxlife these days. Dex III is much thicker than Maxlife. I know because I had to remove maxlife from my GM BW4481 TC. Shuddering when accelerating around corners was horrible. Oreilly has a nice Dex III-H fluid, the spec for my TC. All is fine again. I plan to get it out of my transmission as well. I'm wondering if maybe its responsible for the slow downshift as well.

I think you would be better off getting the $5 pump that fits the top of the quart and pumping till it flows out fill hole. If you're concerned about overfill, open fill hole when its hot. Some will seep out due to expansion. Then you know its not too high, plugging the vent so it can't breathe, which creates pressure, and a leak. Make sure the vent is not pinched, hanging down, etc.

Note: the manual tells you the exact height, but what I told you is safe alternative to attempting to measure down from fill hole.

Well, I wouldn't be too crazy about having a piece of polymer tubing that could get ripped off by a trail obstacle and drain the whole case...

But if you want to do it or its just temporary, I'd probably use brass fittings to make the right angles out of the plug holes so that you have two barb-fittings pointing more or less at each other, and then just use a straight piece of Tygon tubing (probably the type with nylon webbing molded into it- see link), rather than trying to bend the tubing 180 degrees.

41AaosjaGvL._SX425_.jpg

I've found that on a diff or a transfer case, or anything there is a vent. I parted out the diff in my first BMW. It was encased in delaminating rust. Except the area around the vent. That was a layer of grease and dirt with clean metal below. I always filled until it ran out. I noticed the same thing on the Rat. greasy vents. So, I'm happy if the level is about an inch below. It is room for expansion when the diff gets warm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back