Mopar 10yr/150K Coolant question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm needing to fill the reservoir tank in my Durango. Owners manual isn't much help since it only recommends the Mopar fluid and doesn't give a spec. I do know it has the 10yr/150k in it.

Today, I went to NAPA for some items. I mentioned needing a jug of coolant for my 2014 Durango and Dex-cool is what they said would work. I didn't have my glasses with me so I couldn't read the small print on the jug. After getting home, I pretty sure this is the wrong stuff.

Anyone know what brand is compatible with the factory fill? Or do I just need to bite the bullet and get a jug from the dealer?

Thanks..

Originally Posted By: fisher83
Should be the Zerex G-05.

No, G-05 is HOAT...a '14 should have Chrysler's (purple) OAT. Not sure which aftermarket coolant may be compatible.

I'd bite the bullet and get the purple Mopar coolant. There is an orange dyed Fiat coolant that's compatible but that's all I'm aware of.

I would not use Dexcool, Dexclones, or G-05 myself.

Mopar changed from G05 HOAT to their own (& Fiat) OAT in MY 2013.

Last edited:
Yep, what they gave you would work in the 2012 and below models, but they moved to the OAT kind (purple kool-aid looking stuff) in 2013, so it is incompatible with yours. In fact, it's highly incompatible if I remember correctly, as in, top off with that stuff and you'll get sludge deposits pretty quickly (depending on how much is mixed in obviously).

Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

No, G-05 is HOAT...a '14 should have Chrysler's (purple) OAT. Not sure which aftermarket coolant may be compatible.

That is correct! HOAT and OAT do not mix, mixing them causes bad problems, there is a lot of info about that on the web. 2013 was a transition year, some early 2013's had HOAT, others used OAT, at least in Wranglers, and there were a lot of problems when the two were mistakenly mixed. The good news is one is dyed orange HOAT the other, OAT is purple.

Mixing the two will cause a sludge in the cooling system, and in many cases flushing will not remove it. Replacing the radiator, thermostat, heater core, and repeated flushing of the block is the only fix, very costly.

I order a jug from Amazon a few week ago when I noticed it was getting low. They sent me the 5yr/100k jug instead of 10yr/150k. No issues sending it back other than it was a little of a hassle. After that, I resorted to finding a local store that had an aftermarket replacement.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Price for 50/50 mix on Amazon looks reasonable for top-off purposes.

https://www.amazon.com/Mopar-Year-Mile-Coolant-Premixed/dp/B017DP43ZC

Concentrate price on Amazon isn't outrageous either

Amazon Mopar OAT

I'll just bite the bullet and drive out to my dealer a pick up a jug of Mopar coolant. Better safe than sorry.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy

That is correct! HOAT and OAT do not mix, mixing them causes bad problems, there is a lot of info about that on the web. 2013 was a transition year, some early 2013's had HOAT, others used OAT, at least in Wranglers, and there were a lot of problems when the two were mistakenly mixed. The good news is one is dyed orange HOAT the other, OAT is purple.

Mixing the two will cause a sludge in the cooling system, and in many cases flushing will not remove it. Replacing the radiator, thermostat, heater core, and repeated flushing of the block is the only fix, very costly.

Some sites say there is little difference in OAT and HOAT and others say it's like nixing cement. For top off I think you would be fine. I have seen some bad mixtures and the orange sludge that comes from it, but that was after many years and I have yet to see antifreeze litterally clog the system. Look at the head gasket sealers they send through there and that doesn't even clog it.
Glycol, dexcool or wonder coolants would be bad to mix with OAT but I think these Jeeps had more going on since it was just the Jeeps that had issues. Just my opinion and I would color match if I could in a new car.

Last edited:

NO! G-05 is now the "older" Chrysler spec coolant. The current formula is a pure OAT, not a HOAT. As such it is probably similar to DexCool, but I believe its an OAT made with an organic acid OTHER than 2 EHA found in DexCool. Until the aftermarket catches up and creates a coolant that specifically meets the FCA spec, I'll be sticking with dealer-sourced Mopar fluid for my wife's JGC. Or for top-off less than maybe a quart, just use distilled water. Its not going to shift the freeze/boil points that much.

If I had to pick a current aftermarket AF for the newer FCA, it would be Peak Global Lifetime. Also a Long Life OAT AF with no 2eha found in Dex OAT.

The Amazon prices linked for the Mopar, don't look too crazy.

I'd also go with the Mopar coolant, especially for a vehicle that is only 3 years old that you are topping off. You won't have to worry about aftermarket coolant mixing with the factory stuff.

Do you have any coolant leaks or has this happened over a longer period of time?

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I ended up buying from the dealer when I needed to top off our minivan. I paid close to $50 for a 50/50 jug. Needles to say, I will fully switch to G-05 at about 5 year mark.
What makes this coolant so [censored] expensive?

Buying it AT the dealer instead of on Amazon, Rockauto, etc. In my earlier post I mis-typed and said I'd buy "dealer sourced" coolant. I meant to say "Mopar-sourced" or "Mopar branded" coolant, regardless of reseller. Amazon has Mopar purple for under $20. No reason to dink around with G-05, which is only slightly cheaper and introduces a lot of additional additives that aren't needed by the newer engines and cooling systems. Silicates, nitrites, etc.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Yep, what they gave you would work in the 2012 and below models, but they moved to the OAT kind (purple kool-aid looking stuff) in 2013, so it is incompatible with yours. In fact, it's highly incompatible if I remember correctly, as in, top off with that stuff and you'll get sludge deposits pretty quickly (depending on how much is mixed in obviously).

Not correct. MY 2002 -MY 2012 used HOAT G-05, Mopar has never used Dexcool nor Dexclones. See SAE article link previously posted. My 2012 Ram is definitely G-05 which came dyed orange from the factory, replaced by Zerex G-05 gold color this summer at the 5 year mark.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Some sites say there is little difference in OAT and HOAT and others say it's like nixing cement. For top off I think you would be fine. I have seen some bad mixtures and the orange sludge that comes from it, but that was after many years and I have yet to see antifreeze litterally clog the system. Look at the head gasket sealers they send through there and that doesn't even clog it.
Glycol, dexcool or wonder coolants would be bad to mix with OAT but I think these Jeeps had more going on since it was just the Jeeps that had issues. Just my opinion and I would color match if I could in a new car.

Color is generally meaningless now. Orange dyed coolant could be Dexcool, dexclone, factory G-05 in MY 2002-MY 2012 Mopar, or Fiat OAT for example. Three different chemistries, one dye color. See SAE article previously posted. Match chemistry regardless of color and you'll have a true honest match.

Every Ford I have owned has had a warning on the coolant tank don't add Green to orange or vice versa. If the Mopar antifreezes were so toxic, I am thinking there would be a sticker.
Most sites are saying OAT and HOAT are basically the same.
One has hybrid organics and the other natural.
I topped off my 2016 with the Mopar Orange and it's purple. Now we are talking less than a pint, but I see no issues and that's was 6 months ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back