Deer rifle choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
I sold my Savage .308 recently (was a great target rifle, not a great hunting rifle) and am now looking at picking up a more "traditional" rifle in .308 for the purposes of going out next year for deer season (my wife has finally caved on that).

So, I'm looking specifically at something stainless with a synthetic stock. My present choices, which are roughly the same price, are:

1. Remington 700 5R Milspec Stainless
2. Tikka T3X Lite Stainless

I believe the Tikka is the lighter of the two, but the Remington has significantly better aftermarket support.

Thoughts, opinions, all welcome!

Go for the Remington and toss the factory trigger. Install a Jewell and set it at 3 or 4 pounds. They break like glass with no creep.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Go for the Remington and toss the factory trigger. Install a Jewell and set it at 3 or 4 pounds. They break like glass with no creep.

Always appreciate your advice
thumbsup2.gif

I've been under the assumption that the new Remingtons are garbage. If it was me. I would look for a vintage Remington or Winchester model 70 if you want a bolt. New Remington definitely would not be on my list of rifles.

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I've been under the assumption that the new Remingtons are garbage. If it was me. I would look for a vintage Remington or Winchester model 70 if you want a bolt. New Remington definitely would not be on my list of rifles.
Remington 5R barrels are pretty good for factory rifles and once the trigger is replaced, they are top notch. All of my custom rifles are built on Remington actions.

Alot of guys I know that hunt alot have been complaining about the new Remington bolts binding up. Enough they took new rifles back and traded them. Also you shouldn't have to replace a trigger on a new rifle. Remington has given in to selling cheap rifles and selling in the name they are quickly ruining. Even their shotguns are cheaper.
Remington isn't even Remington anymore it's Freedom group.
Not that Winchester is much better but I believe their quality control is better.
Still like I said alot of Vintage rifles out there that are better than anything new.

In case you haven't heard, there was a MAJOR problem with the original Remington 700 trigger system. They can and do go off without anyone touching them. If you do get an older Remington 700 be darn sure to replace the trigger assembly with something more reliable and safer.

I agree with Panzerman. I'd prefer an old Winchester 70 or Remington 700 over any modern offering in that same price range. My Remington 700 has been a great hunting companion for me for the last 25 years or so!

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Alot of guys I know that hunt alot have been complaining about the new Remington bolts binding up. Enough they took new rifles back and traded them. Also you shouldn't have to replace a trigger on a new rifle. Remington has given in to selling cheap rifles and selling in the name they are quickly ruining. Even their shotguns are cheaper.
Remington isn't even Remington anymore it's Freedom group.
Not that Winchester is much better but I believe their quality control is better.
Still like I said alot of Vintage rifles out there that are better than anything new.
I can only speak to my experience. All of mine are 700 series including my last one in 300WM bought a short while ago and I have not experienced any issues. You are correct that you should not have to replace a trigger and I am not saying you HAVE to, but no one on the planet makes a better trigger than Jewell and I know Overkill likes the good stuff.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Buy the one that fits best, and points most naturally for you.

^ This
smile.gif

For me, it's the Tikka every time. Great rifle. Smooth action. Good shooter
smile.gif

I own some Remmy's. Just would not buy another for hunting ...

Last edited:
Tikka is the better rifle in every sense, with ACTUAL quality control, and made by European craftsman. Not even close.

Out of the box, the Tikka wins handily. If you are going to drop $3000 into it in aftermarket parts, then get the freedom group rifle.

Tikka... if just for deer then .270 or 7mm-08 are great.
The only off shelf rifle better than Tikka are Sako, also made in Finland, same manuf as matter of fact, but they are much more expensive.
Don't forget to get quality bases and rings for a good scope of your choice.

Dad just bought a Tikka lite Left handed and loves it. I never liked the Remington and neither did he.
I have a Savage and a Howa Hogue with Zeiss.

You might want to look at a Browning A or X bolt or a Ruger american. I have a Bar in 270. Great shooter. Tikka makes good stuff for the money. I have a few bolt rifles but I prefer a semi for the quick 2nd or 3rd shot.

What turns me off like a switch about Tikka are all the plastic parts. I suppose I could force myself to live with a plastic magazine. Because so many others are going that route. You really don't have much of a choice. Even Browning includes a plastic magazine on their $1,000.00+ X-Bolt White Gold Medallion. But the bolt shroud, trigger guard, along with the magazine is just too much plastic to have to contend with on a $800.00+ rifle. I don't care how it shoots, or who made it.

Yeah, I know someone will come back with the whole, "Polymer is stronger than steel", argument. But it really doesn't change anything. It still looks every bit as cheap and cheesy as it is. If your buying a $350.00 Mossberg from a big box store with a coupon, you can expect such disappointment when you open the box. But you shouldn't have to deal with it on a rifle, "made by European craftsmen", costing over double that. It just turns me off as much as having to follow a cellulite ridden fat woman in tight Spandex shorts into Wal-Mart. For that kind of money the rifle should have at least some aesthetic pleasure when you eyeball it. And say what you will about plastic. It's anything but aesthetically pleasing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back