2007 BMW X5 (4.8), EDGE 0W-40, 5k OCI, 97k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a 5,000 mile run from my 2007 BMW X5 (4.8l V8) daily driver. Things look good considering it's driven 90% city (mostly short 15-20 minute trips) and 10% highway. This is the EDGE 0W-40 "Titanium" (previous fill was also EDGE 0W-40). I don't think there's a better Euro oil for the money.

Here's a link to the 0W-30 EDGE version from my wife's daily driver. Similar add-pack. There's probably a little leftover BMW twinpower turbo 5W-30 in the 0W-30 sample (probably where the moly came from).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
. . . I don't think there's a better Euro oil for the money . . . .

FWIW, I agree. Moreover, I don't think you need to add "for the money," either.

Originally Posted By: Hounds
...Moreover, I don't think you need to add "for the money," either.

Agreed.

A customer of mine went with 10/40 High MIleage Synthetic in his 07 and it helped keep the smoke down, I think it cut consumption in half. Took some time, but he was really happy.

Originally Posted By: Audios
A customer of mine went with 10/40 High MIleage Synthetic in his 07 and it helped keep the smoke down, I think it cut consumption in half. Took some time, but he was really happy.

Which 10W-40? Mobil 1? I would be willing to give it a shot next OCI.

Castrol Edge 10W-40 High Mileage.

You could also give Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver a shot. I've seen it work before.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

You could also give Liqui Moly Motor Oil Saver a shot. I've seen it work before.

The UOA I posted was with two bottles of LM Motor Oil Saver. It doesn’t appear to have worked as well as I originally thought it did.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

The UOA I posted was with two bottles of LM Motor Oil Saver. It doesn’t appear to have worked as well as I originally thought it did.

LM is only good in marketing.

Honestly anything thats a little thicker with the HIgh Mileage additives will do the trick, even the 5/30 should make a difference.

Honestly anything thats a little thicker with the HIgh Mileage additives will do the trick, even the 5/30 should make a difference.

I think I’ll give EDGE HM 10W-40 a try next OCI. Weather should be getting warmer about time it’s due. I don’t like the idea of starting the X5 with a 10W in below freezing weather...

Let us know how the consumption goes. Even if it helps a little, its alot cheaper than valve stem seals!!

Last edited:
Let us know how the consumption goes. Even if it helps a little, its alot cheaper than valve stem seals!!

Will do. It won't be due for an oil change until March 2018-ish, maybe earlier depending on winter road trips.

I think I'll go with M1 10W-40 high mileage instead, since it can be had at WM in 5 quart jugs for ~$25. I can't find Castrol EDGE 10W-40 high mileage anywhere for less than $8-9/quart.

Definitely the way to go for the experiment. Unless of course, it actually makes a huge difference as opposed to the M1. Honestly for 5k intervals, even a house brand HM oil would be fine.

2.5 quarts in 5k is a nice solid amount of oil usage! I'd be going with more miles when topping up that much. Let us know if any other oils reduce the consumption as my Toyota has some valve stem Seal oil consumption issues too!

I should have also added in my OP that I'm pretty firmly in the "let the engine warmup before driving" camp. It's just habit. Especially now that it's cold out, I start it up, turn on the heater, seat-heat, and steering wheel-heat and head back inside to pour some coffee to-go and say goodbye to the dog. I'd say it warms up for about 5-7 minutes each morning before driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back