2015 Jeep Wrangler 3.6 Dealer Bulk 5w20 5k

Status
Not open for further replies.

First post, first UOA, first oil change done myself.
smile.gif

Little history, bought new. Ran factory fill 3k and had dealer change every 3k. This 5k run had the cerma engine stuff and a moly additive I found on ebay. Replaced with 6qts 5w20 Formula Shell conventional and a K&N filter.

I'm running Formula Shell 5w20 in my 3.2 KL, seems like it likes it a bit better than the VWB, for whatever reason. Going to run it 5k.

Holy Silicon bat man! What were you trying to accomplish with your additive? Because I'm confused with their choice of add pack to supplement your oil. In the future, stay away from additives, I don't think it really helped you here and if anything it's masking other potential problems.

Originally Posted By: FlyNavyP3
Holy Silicon bat man! What were you trying to accomplish with your additive? Because I'm confused with their choice of add pack to supplement your oil. In the future, stay away from additives, I don't think it really helped you here and if anything it's masking other potential problems.

How is it masking other potential problems and what are those problems other than perhaps silica ingestion?

Silica (dirt) ingestion is a serious problem, his wear metals are above universal averages based on an interval significantly longer than the oil was run. What does this additive bring to the table is the other question? Even if the add pack didn't do harm, what did it add that the base oil didn't have to protect his engine? Silicon? I'm not saying that he has an induction issue or air filter issue, but if he did it'd sure be hard to tell with this additive. With potential for masking other issues and no real upside why waste the money on this engine oil supplement in a bulk dealership oil. Just run an oil of known quality and motor on.

21.gif
The cerma and moly additives were experiments more then anything else. I was curious what they'd look like on the uoa. We'll see what the next 5k brings, although I suspect that silicon will take a while to flush out.

I never used Ceratec I did try MoS2 from them a few times in an old Ford and Buick I owned. I think B_S labs flags the additives in Ceratec as Silicon since they really don't know what they are, and as the report says they're harmless in this case. The engine is still fairly new, so there isn't much in terms of wear you can gather from this report. You need to establish trends. The copper looks great for a 3.6L Pentastar engine, it typically takes a long time to wash out, it comes from the oil cooler. The report did pick up on the moly add, which one did you use?

The vehicle didn’t run any differently with the additives, idle, rpms, mpg, buttdyno, all registered nil. But it was fun pouring unknown substances in the crank hah.

The moly additive is called Moly+, found it on ebay. And the other was called Cerma Engine Treatment.

Next uoa i’ll see what the formula shell looks like with the residual additive left, might be interesting.
21.gif
I also put a 93octane tune on

Originally Posted By: AdditiveOCD
The vehicle didn’t run any differently with the additives, idle, rpms, mpg, buttdyno, all registered nil. But it was fun pouring unknown substances in the crank hah.

Why would anyone do that?

If you like unknown substances, next time try a bottle of weed killer and report back.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why would anyone do that?

If you like unknown substances, next time try a bottle of weed killer and report back.

Make sure to do a VOA on the weed killer, first.

Weed killer wouldn't be cool, but i've thought about using a quart of bar and chain oil to see what happens. I'm more into trying various "miracle" additives and seeing if they actually do anything...although on a engine this low mileage nothing probably will.

Anyone feel free to recommend anything, but keep in mind i'm doing 5k runs and it takes me 6months to get there.

Weed killer wouldn't be cool, but i've thought about using a quart of bar and chain oil to see what happens. I'm more into trying various "miracle" additives and seeing if they actually do anything...although on a engine this low mileage nothing probably will.

Anyone feel free to recommend anything, but keep in mind i'm doing 5k runs and it takes me 6months to get there.

What happens where? What would you look for to tell you that something happened?

Bar and chain probably offers more anti wear than Lucas Oil Stabilizer..

I think you'd be fine. I'd bet your paycheck on it anyways.
grin.gif

Well, with the bar and chain I was curious what the viscosity would be, mixed with five quarts of 5w20 for 5k miles. Thought it’d be a interesting uoa. All the stabilizers market their “tackiness” right? Well I figured what’s better than bar and chain oil heh. It’s got a decently high burn off temp too. Although I doubt there’s any additives in it.
21.gif
Might try one day.

To clarify, Assuming the engine(and me) doesn’t die a horrible death, i’m mostly just looking at uoas.

Lol@dlundblad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back