MOLD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a roof leak and it penetrated the ceiling and dripped water on the floor. I know the ceiling sheet rock needs to be replaced but, that can't happen for several months. I was planning on removing several pieces of the ceiling to remove any wet insulation. What is the proper way to make sure no mold grows in the ceiling space? ED

Ventilation.

Leave it open for as long as practical. Initially maybe put a fan up there.

Run a dehumidifier as close as you can to the space and then allow the air near the mold to circulate with a fan etc. It's only when humidity is high or wet for prolonged periods of time that mold will grow.

A mixture of bleach and water and/or borax with water will work too to control mold. Vinegar works too. I've used these on moldy wood.

Bleach may work on solid walls and metal, but not porous surfaces. Mold sprays are expensive, but worth it.

Ventilate until try and then douche the area to clean.

If you make an insurance claim for mold, you will have to show certification of mold remediation to clear your home's title.

Originally Posted By: Ducked
Ventilation.

Leave it open for as long as practical. Initially maybe put a fan up there.

Look for a mold spray or powder to apply to the wood. There is a powder called "Concrobium" which is good to remove heavier mold from 2x4's etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back