Fancy spark plugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a misfire on the explorer, and it turned out to be a cracked plug. I have Motorcraft Finewires in there now, they aren't too old, maybe 20K? I went to the Advance site, your head could spin from the choices. I'm thinking about replacing all of them if I can get more performance.

There are also some expensive ones, one caught my eye is the denso iridium TT.

10713000_nde_4713_pri_larg.jpg

Seems to have a double finewire, which would seem to be a good choice since OEM is finewire. These plugs cross to many GM engines as well.

I don't care about longevity, but a few more ponies or mpg would be nice
smile.gif

Last edited:
You will gain absolutely zero power from more exotic spark plugs, generally the advantage is simply longer life.

I have always used NGK Iridiums in all my domestic vehicles and Denso in the Asian cars I have driven. (Just because of availability) and never had an issue so I stick with them. I get the rated miles and more out of them too!

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I've been using either Denso or NGK Iridium in my Honda's since 2001. Never an issue over 100k runs.

+1 I change them at 100k but they look new.

I have the Denso Iridium TT spark plugs in my 03 CRV. I have about 30,000 miles on them without any problems. The one thing I noticed when I changed my old plugs out is that my idle is now rock solid. My mpg has not changed and power is about the same as before.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
I have the Denso Iridium TT spark plugs in my 03 CRV. I have about 30,000 miles on them without any problems. The one thing I noticed when I changed my old plugs out is that my idle is now rock solid. My mpg has not changed and power is about the same as before.

Those plugs look like they deliver a perfect spark.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
The Denso TT is supposed to be a very good plug. And the price is so good, too
smile.gif

Here is the Denso TT site with a description and a video

Those are pretty bold claims though. I'm sure they are great plugs but will I dyno more HP?

I went with autolite platinum XP which is OEM equivalent for my application.

With modern coil on plug ignition any plug with appropriate gap and heat range is going to do the job. I personally run single electrode plugs. I feel that the x2 and x4 plugs are simply marketing

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
You will gain absolutely zero power from more exotic spark plugs, generally the advantage is simply longer life.

This

NGK for me too.. This Denso TT reminds me of the NGK Laser Iridium plug, where it has the iridium tip and the platinum side electrode and also lasts beyond 100k miles. And nothing new about using a laser to bond the iridium to the tip. NGK does it, it's why they call it Laser Iridium.

Not trying to be negative here, but Denso is just using marketing to hype up their product (normal), but nothing new since NGK already has had it for awhile.

I guess NGK pretty much writes the honest truth: (Still hard to believe companies can make claims for their premium products)

HOW MUCH OF A PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT CAN I EXPECT FROM CHANGING PLUGS?
A: A common misconception is that changing spark plugs will result in a large power increase. In most cases, removing even seriously worn out spark plugs will only result in very modest power gains, typically about 1-2% of total engine output. This could be even less for computer-controlled vehicles, primarily because most newer vehicles have more powerful ignition systems and the vehicle's computer can make adjustments so that vehicle operation seems smoother and more seamless.

Many people think that simply supplying more spark to the firing tip can and will combust more fuel. What they don't understand is that most newer car engines are so efficient that they are already burning all of the available fuel. Simply adding more spark voltage can't burn more fuel because there is no more fuel to burn.

When a stock or near-stock engine is given a fresh set of spark plugs, peak efficiency is restored. The power gains that come from this restored state of tune are usually minimal. Any company that tells you that their spark plug will provide significant gains in power in a stock or near-stock engine is making blanket statements that may not be supportable.

I have a set of the Platinum TT's in my 3.6DI CTS. I'm happy with them. NGK is an excellent product but not the holy grail. Spark plugs are not exactly space age technology and even a cheapie copper plug does the job perfectly. Long life is the only main advantage to platinum and iridium plugs because more HP or fuel economy is not. Spark is spark for the most part!

I would like to see them admit that "seriously worn out" plugs can literally bring an engine to its knees and reduce it to a point of zero function, just for the sake of technical reference, but I understand the tone of their response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back