e--mail I sent to Canada's Transport Ministry

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sent this to the Canadian equivalent of the NHTSA, Canada's Transport Ministry - hope it gets a positive response

Hello,

One of my observations of bad habits of drivers is the issue of people assuming that because their dashboard lights are on, that their car also has the headlights & tail lights on.

I work in the Tier 2 & 3 automotive industry, metal stampings and assemblies, not related to automotive lighting at all, but I can assume that the cost of adding an ambient light sensor to every vehicle would be very small compared to other mandated safety features - ABS/ Rear Camera / Air Pressure Monitors etc.

I have driven the 401 corridor between Toronto and Waterloo Region enough times at night to know just how often you will experience a car without tail lights - the driver has the DRL on (that is automatic in Canada...hmmm), the dash lights are bright, but the driver is completely un-aware of how dark & dangerous they are to others on the road. Now that it gets dark sooner - this problem will become worse. I can't understand how the modern dashboards could allow independent illumination without some integration of automatic head & tail lights?

Is there nobody else complaining about this problem? Canada pushed DRL to the North American OEM's, can't we lead the way for prevention of ghost driving?

Please advise,

Although DRLs augment the visibility of other vehicles, it is as you say: drivers don't make the connection that they actually have to turn their lights on at night.

So ultimately it's the drivers' fault. So many people are completely unaware of their situation and surroundings. Oh, but they'll text while driving...with no lights...

funny you mention this !! came up on two cars on the 401 this weekend , after 10:00 p.m . both cars DRL's on only. flashed my lights at the second car , had no clue what was going on. extremely dangerous situation , this is something that should be corrected.

I see this occur regularly here too! Very annoying and dangerous!

Good luck with your email.

Automatic headlights were practically free to do when I got my stripper 2003 Tracker... No radio but it had auto headlights. I think back then every GM had auto headlights?

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Good luck with your common sense question and proposal.

lol.gif

It might take a few months, and it may be a generic response, but you WILL get a response from the Department of Transport, unlike some other federal ministries.

I am a cranky old man and I write municipal, provincial and federal departments at least once or twice per year. If you don't tell them, how will they know anything is wrong?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Good luck with your common sense question and proposal.

lol.gif

Yes, I'm doomed. I should have included some stupid reference to the tin foil hat I wear while driving at night
grin.gif

I've thought the same thing and I think either:
1. Get rid of DRLs so non-auto headlight vehicles will have turn it all on
2. Make auto headlights standard

I prefer #1, but #2 is still better than doing nothing I suppose, although I hate mandated standard equipment.

Originally Posted By: HoosierJeeper
... although I hate unnecessary mandated standard equipment.

I'm with you there, and added a refinement...

My drive to work is in darkness except for the VERY peak of summer-- I usually see at least one or two vehicles with just their DRLs on, and they're completely oblivious to the fact. It's bewildering how drivers can be that inattentive.

The other issue is vehicles with lights out (one headlight, taillights, etc.)-- it is a huge problem here, there are not a lot of cops patrolling the roads. I suspect one would only get pulled over for such a petty offense if they're driving around at prime DUI time(s) of night.

I don't think this is a hard thing for auto makers to do across the board. My 2013 Silverado 3500 has auto headlights. The default position is "auto," and for Canadian models, moving it to the "off" position will simply shut off the headlights (vs. US models also extinguishing the DRLs), and the switch returns to "auto." So every time the vehicle is started, the lights are in auto mode.

I also have a 2006 Toyota Sienna, where the gauge cluster is always illuminated, and manual headlights. I have no problem remembering to turn on the headlights, and for the very odd occasion I do forget, as I initially move out of a parking spot or off my driveway, I immediately notice the problem, as nothing else in the vehicle is illuminated, and the road in front of me is not properly lit. It is absolutely on the driver to pay attention, but that said, it isn't hard for auto makers to "idiot proof" the lights. Though these days, it seems the masses need everything to be made "idiot proof" to save them from themselves.

I have to look back, but I seem to recall something in the literature that Transport Canada is changing the DRL rules here, and this ambiguity is supposed to somehow disappear. I believe things will be automatic, or some such thing - with government, one never is certain.

Transport Canada is aware of this. I seen it discussed on another site. However it may take a long time before anything is done about it.

Transport Canada did respond to my e-mail. The short version is they are fully aware of the problem of ghost drivers and have changes planned to deal with it....maybe before 2025? At least they admit that many Canadians have complained to their offices on this exact topic.

What I had not considered was the issue of ghost driving through tunnels, none of those in my area.

Everything is computerized and never forgotten.

Stop anyone with their lights out illegally and give 'em a warning.

WHACK 'em with a fine the second time. It is dangerous, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back