The land of entitlement

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few nights ago I was rear-ended. There was minimal damage to my Jeep. The bumper was scuffed, trailer hitch scuffed, and a plastic end cap popped off. Besides that there was no damage at all. The person who rear-ended me had a 2017 Corolla, and the hood buckled and bumper crunched a bit.

This was at the end of a highway, and oddly enough there was another accident so Police were directing traffic, which is what caused me to be stopped in the first place, as I was waiting in a line of stopped cars. The person behind me didn't see me, and rear ended me at a fairly low speed.

Here is the interesting part:

We were pulled over on the shoulder, so people could go around. I pulled off onto the grass as soon as it happened. Cars could still go around, but the person who hit me wanted to make sure their bumper wasn't stuck into the tire before pulling off. A girl about my age (25ish) with a few friends in her car pulls up behind us in an SUV while other cars are going around us. She asks us if we are stopped. I politely state yes, we are pulled over (with our hazards on, mind you) because we hit. She goes into this long rant filled with profanity about how she doesn't have time for this and we are making her late to her party, when she could have just gone around like the other cars. Basically told us to go F ourselves because we (I guess it's my fault I got rear-ended) can't drive.

I don't have hope for my generation. I've seen many accidents, been stuck in traffic for hours because of them, etc, but have never felt the urge to yell at people who got into an accident that were pulled over.

Not a generational thing, and has nothing to do with an entitlement mentality.

A-holes have been around since humans first existed, and will be here until the last of us end.

I've been all over the world, and our nation is a better place to be on the side of the road after an accident than most. Plenty of places where you would be run over, and nobody would care at all.

Sorry to hear you got rear ended. Happened to me recentky and it sucks.

It's too bad the word "entitlement" has been corrupted in recent years. Social Security and Medicare are entitlements. You are "entitled" to them because you paid into the system. Nowadays the word tends to be used to denigrate recipients as having done nothing to deserve what they are receiving. Moreover, it tends to be used in a very derogatory manner to indicate that recipients of entitlements are somehow gaming the system.

It would be nice to use a different word for such abuse of the system.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Not a generational thing, and has nothing to do with an entitlement mentality.

A-holes have been around since humans first existed, and will be here until the last of us end.

I've been all over the world, and our nation is a better place to be on the side of the road after an accident than most. Plenty of places where you would be run over, and nobody would care at all.

Sorry to hear you got rear ended. Happened to me recentky and it sucks.

Spot on. Jerks come in all ages, and sizes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

Spot on. Aholes come in all ages, and sizes.

I agree they come in all ages, but I've worked in customer service for quite a while. I find more younger people find it acceptable to curse a stranger out over something small.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Spot on. Jerks come in all ages, and sizes.

I agree they come in all ages, but I've worked in customer service for quite a while. I find more younger people find it acceptable to curse a stranger out over something small.

That's a learned behavior. In my experience those nearing 50 are the most "entitled" and rude.

She is probably on drugs, probably on 1 or more prescriptions meds for anxiety/mood disorder etc. Unfortunately, the meds does not bear well for everyone and breakdowns like that are common.

As someone from the sandwich generation in between millennials and boomers I can tell you it's upbringing. I have friends on both sides that can be arses like this and friends who were raised properly and are not.

My brother and sister are millennials and not like this at all.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Spot on. Aholes come in all ages, and sizes.

That's a learned behavior. In my experience those nearing 50 are the most "entitled" and rude.

Maybe millennials are learning it from their parents?
21.gif

I mean it annoyed me but I wasn't really surprised. The girl who rear-ended me was pretty much in tears after that which made it difficult to get anywhere with the situation.

Most of the young persons I know today have been raised with the idea that they are the center of the universe. Gram and gramps don't just attend a game where little Johnny or Jane is participating. No, the local wipe always says so and so and so and so attened little Johnny's or Jane's game. Sounds like the grand kids were the only team member, or if there are teammates, little J and J did all the scoring..That's just one example of how the young generation view themselves. It's all about them. They come to believe that only good things happen to people, and when unpleasant things befall them, the school system makes twenty counselors available to hold their hand and help them through the crisis. It's a completely different world for kids today from what I experienced growing up in WWII. I'm glad I won't be around when the you know what hits the fan. Bound to happen. No way the USA can maintain leadership in the world with a population of "ME TOO" JR characters who don't know or care about the bigger picture. BAH HUMBUG thirty five days early.

How DARE you get rear ended and make her late to her precious party!

(Never mind that she took 1/2 hour longer to do her hair and makeup, and left 20 minutes late because, you know, there's NEVER any traffic, and then stopped at a friend's house for shots.)

People need a reality check. She needs to get over herself.

So because 1 jerk an entire generation is doomed?

Yeah, ok.

The rude and violent ones are the older generations. They're the ones that flip you off and road rage and can't get on with their day.

Last edited by a moderator:
“Many people are like garbage trucks. They run around full of garbage, full of frustration, full of anger, and full of disappointment. As their garbage piles up, they look for a place to dump it. And if you let them, they’ll dump it on you. So when someone wants to dump on you, don’t take it personally. Just smile, wave, wish them well, and move on. Believe me. You’ll be happier.”

It’s the “all about me” generation.

As for entitlements, some people game the system. Yesterday I saw a young woman with two kids put $355+ on her EBT card. That’s fine but it got interesting when the checker shoved a large pack of toilet paper onto the bottom rack which dislodged a bunch of meat the person was hiding. No stern words said. It was obvious as her face was as red as a beet.

Originally Posted By: Kuato

(Never mind that she took 1/2 hour longer to do her hair and makeup, and left 20 minutes late because, you know, there's NEVER any traffic, and then stopped at a friend's house for shots.)

And she was chatting someone up pushing tiny buttons on her $1000 latest and greatest iphone which she thinks grow on trees because mommy and daddy expect to know where she is and what she is doing every second.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Originally Posted By: Kuato

And she was chatting someone up pushing tiny buttons on her $1000 latest and greatest iphone which she thinks grow on trees because mommy and daddy expect to know where she is and what she is doing every second.

I'm sure she also has to tweet, facebook, snapchat and whatever else her entire life.... "LOOK AT MEEEEEE"

I see younger people in the local choke and puke who eat their who hash at the same time they are fiddling with their cell phone. They cannot let their phone alone for ten seconds. Five of them at a table and everyone one them is diddling around with their phone. Staying connected seems to be the main affliction today. Maybe expecting a call or message from the president or pope. I once was outside with my wife when two girls approached us from down the street. They both had a cell phone in their ear. Told my wife I bet they are talking to each other. They were.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
So because 1 a-hole an entire generation is doomed?

Yeah, ok.

The rude and violent ones are the older generations. They're the ones that flip you off and road rage and can't get on with their day.

Not the entire generation, but it is mainly a problem with society and what is viewed as acceptable. I've also been flipped off by many more people in the 18-30 range than above that while driving, and many of those people were actually in the wrong, but got "offended" when called out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back