Using a smaller oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I am about to do an oil change on my car and deciding on which filter to use.

The problem is options in Australia are somewhat limited and I would prefer a synthetic material.

I can get this filter:
http://www.rycofilters.com.au/products/syntec

However it is not available in the size I need which is:
Seam Diameter 71.00mm
Overall Height 101.00mm
Seal Outside Diameter 66.00mm

But rather in this size:
Seam Diameter 69.50mm
Overall Height 86.00mm
Seal Outside Diameter 64.00mm

Both filters have a bypass valve of 15psi.
I run 6k mile OCI on Shell Helix Ultra oil.
Engine has relatively high miles however is clean inside.

Would I be OK running the smaller filter or should I stick to the designated one?

Here in the US, this engine would take the Fram 7317 or Fram 6607.

The Fram 7317 has the following specifications:

http://oilfilterdata.com/index.php?view=filter_info&model=PH7317

The height of 3.47" works out to 88mm so maybe they are specifying the Fram 7317 as a replacement.

You don't specify the threads on the filter you wish to use, so before I could say go ahead, I'd check to see if the threads are the same.

I know here in the US, there are many filter makers who don't make all the variants in a thread and BPV range. They may offer the smaller choices in the range.

A filter that has the same seal, but is only about 1/2" (15mm) shorter probably won't make much difference. It's done here all the time and you don't see cars on the side of the road because the quick lube used a smaller filter than the "ideal" choice.

I think you'd be okay, really just 1.5cm shorter. At 6k changes as long as youve never had issues filling a filter before I can't see it happening now.

Not sure your thread requirement is, but they have your size needed. Just check the threads.

Use any filter that has the same thread pitch and diameter as the engine adapter. No sense overthinking this. You continue obsessing over oil filters and you'll wind up with the rest of us on BITOG lying to each other abut minutiae covering the whole gamut of human endeavor. Not to demean other members though. There are some very wise individuals here.
smile.gif

I usually look at wix's online data and check for the thread, gasket diameter, and bypass pressure. If they match I'd just use it.

Hi guys,

Yes they have the Z456 which is what I need but it doesn't come in the Syntec range hence why I wanted to know if i could use the smaller one?

The thread sizes are the same so they do interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back