Which type of oil do you use on a regular basis?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exotic/Expensive Syn
Brand name Syn
Off Brand Syn
Name brand Semi Syn blend
Off Brand Semi Syn blend
Brand name Conventional
Off Brand Conventional

I use name brand Syn oil in all my rides.

Last edited:
Where's the option for "solid product that meets all manufacturer's specs for warranty purposes"?

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Where's the option for "solid product that meets all manufacturer's specs for warranty purposes"?

That could be any of the above. But what do you use regularly?

Last edited:
Group III syn with 5k to 8k intervals, weather and usage dependent.
Regularly put 150k to 300k on my vehicles.
Used a Group IV Diesel engine oil on my TDI, rest in peace.

The proper BRAND NAME SYNTHETIC or BRAND NAME CONVENTIONAL purchased on sale.

I have one last jug of Texaco Havoline 5W-30 conv. in standby for whomever needs it.

Supertech synthetic is probably my most common.

But also did buy a bunch of 15w40 conventional supertech for my 1995 Wrangler for both transmission aM41l8ocksnd engine

Whatever is on sale... Generally a name brand Synthetic. Although I have a few quarts of $1 GTX high mileage that I bought at Dollar General on clearance. None of my cars have any specific oil requirements other than API SN. Even thought the '01 Civic and CR-V spec 5w-20, I've ran 5w-30 with no ill effects so I can use the same weight for everything.

I'm thinking of narrowing it down to one brand. It seems I use Pennzoil more than anything judging by the old jugs with used oil in my shed. I got hooked on it when PUP was $10 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart before the GTL rollout. If I stay with one brand, I feel a bit better about combining leftover oil into one jug for an extra oil change.

Mobil 1 when I get it on sale at Costco and tie the purchase in with a rebate.

M1 0W40 in a 220K v-6 2003 4Runner w/Frantz bypass filter
QSUD 0W-20 2010 RAV4 2.5L w/ Baldwin bypass filter
QSUD 5W-30 2016 NV2500 V-6 20K
dealer synthetic oil 2017 RAV4 11K (when I can get the dealer to follow instructions and change the oil at less than 10K mile increments).
QSUD 5W-30 2007 4.2L 2007 F150 XL 169K

I use everything on sale/discounted/discontinued/rebate in dino or syn, 5W20 or 5W30.(5W30 is my go to oil). Now & again if I need something for a particular car like my OPE or my Firebird FORMULA in my sig, I'll buy that. But, even the Firebird I use 5W30 HM.

And yes, I do alternate between the 5W20 & 5W30 dino & syn for summer & winter oils, depending on what I have in my stash and how I arrange them for their intended use.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Exotic/Expensive Syn
Brand name Syn
Off Brand Syn
Name brand Semi Syn blend
Off Brand Semi Syn blend
Brand name Conventional
Off Brand Conventional

I use name brand Syn oil in all my rides.

Liqui Moly 10W-60 in the M3. Not sure if it is exotic or not but surely expensive.

For all the other cars. I just stick with whatever the cheapest syn or conventional depending on my $ per litre benchmark. Sometimes the brand name can be cheaper than the off brand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back